Community
Wiki Posts
Search

they can do it with eggs...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by world888traveler
Just like real eggs. You know, ''unhealthy'' eggs are dropped off the belt, but real ones may also jump off if the belt is way too fast or narrow..
they dont tell u what happens to the cracked eggs..... and i guess cracked eggs cant file a claim!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC*E50, DL*SM, JMB
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
they dont tell u what happens to the cracked eggs..... and i guess cracked eggs cant file a claim!
hahahahah nice one! ^
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC E, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, AA basic
Originally Posted by hjohnson
In reality, the closer comparison is the large courier companies (FedEx/UPS/DHL). They have to deal with large numbers of somewhat oddly shaped packages, getting them long distances in short periods of time.
There's a recent Popular Mechanics study on this, where they found that even a typical FedEx package experiences acceleration greater than 6G's a few times per delivery:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...-your-packages

As for baggage handling, my one anecdote was a positive experience with BA from LHR-YVR, where baggage handling punctured my soft-shell bag. After I filed a claim, BA immediately sent me a new plastic hard-shell as compensation. ^
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
What happens to deformed unshapely eggs?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
What happens to deformed unshapely eggs?
What's happened to my deformed unshapely Rimowa luggage?

LH damaged this. They let me buy a new one and reimbursed me 100%. But I wonder how the heck did they manage to break the suitcase this way...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:40 pm

ouch looks more like a severe turbulance or it kept banging metal case holder or it fell off a vehicle and got ran over/made contact
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love eggs. So any cracked ones that go to waste breaks my heart when knowing I can instead make good use of them for meals.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jarusoba

LH damaged this. They let me buy a new one and reimbursed me 100%. But I wonder how the heck did they manage to break the suitcase this way...
Looked like they drove a truck at the baggage.. that or they dropped it.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could be the fact that it fell to the ground just as they were offloading it or also perhaps some buffed baggage handlers were simply having a bad day and took their frustrations on it.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Could be the fact that it fell to the ground just as they were offloading it or also perhaps some buffed baggage handlers were simply having a bad day and took their frustrations on it.
We all have bad days. I wish I could post pics of clients that look worse than that after a bad day....
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jarusoba

Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:46 pm

it looks more like a drop than a punch
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Z-man
We all have bad days. I wish I could post pics of clients that look worse than that after a bad day....
Here's a video for you!

http://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/vid...ectno7&newfp=1
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:29 pm
Suspended

it looks more like a drop than a punch
With all the scrapes and bruises.. seems like they were using the bags as hockey pucks.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:22 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
If eggs are not a suitable analogy, then how 'bout how companies like FedEx and UPS are able to deliver most of their trade without losing significant parts of it, or damaging it. They are not without their problems, and I'm certain they lose and/or damage things from time to time. But they deliver a lot more stuff from and to a lot more destinations, and without an "owner" travelling alongside checking on its progress from time to time.
Your analogy about cargo airlines is just as flawed: of course UPS and FX "deliver more stuff" compared to pax airlines: they have more volume of stuff!!!! Not to mention that the cream of their crop is simply moving these boxes. They don't have to worry about catering, landing a plane 4-12 times in a day (and the associated manpower and operational issues that arise when that plane cannot take off due to weather, mechanics, etc) [exception: mail runs that FX 727s are doing during the day in a span of 8 hours], having hubs located in areas with fierce winter weather, nor are the customers very concerned about waiting inside a truck 2-12 hours just to depart. Unlike pax airlines, cargo airlines don't deal with items and pax, and the only thing that matters for those items is when that item will get there. Nothing else matters, unlike pax.

You're also mixing up "lost" with "delayed". And what are you talking about "significant" for? So AC loses a significant amount of their pax's checked items? What is significant? 10%? 15%? IATA airlines have something like 99.98% success in uniting bags with their pax, on time or not. That's a pretty high non-losing-something rate. FX and UPS express have the same amount of delays on packages, for very similar reasons (late inbound flight into hub; on time outbound from hub departs in spite of this, weather conditions anywhere in the chain, mechanical and AOG issue that delays the plane carrying 9 000 packages that need to be there the next day by 1030hrs, mis-sorts, etc.) These are a fact in the industry. Do you think airlines want delayed luggage or cargo? Here's an incentive to perform better: these incidents are very costly to the airlines. They have to hire staff that have to tag the bag and receive the bag, couriers to take the bag to the pax, then there's more manpower required to handle these bags onto and off the flights. In spite of it, this stuff inevitably happens. It's life. People get rear ended, my food comes out cold, the service at the gap the other day sucked. It's the way it is. Oh, and with UPS and FX, if your express item is delayed past the commitment time (that they make up), you're entitled a refund. But they don't make it easy (nor very difficult, in all fairness) to get that refund.

Now with damage, really? I put a bottle of liquor in the center of my carry on whenever I come back from outside Canada. Yeah, I wrap it in a pair of jeans but I don't obsess over it. I'm yet to have damage occur to bottles. If you have fragile stuff, you have to pack it accordingly, and presenting these fragile items in a 70lb box will probably not be handled very nicely: why? Because a person's back is worth more than the items inside that box. Sorry. That being said, I've moved a 32 inch tv and two computer monitors in original factory packaging (i.e. the usual styro-foam) AND without a fragile sticker MIA-ORD-YYZ-YEG-YYC (on a mr, no less ) without issues. I think people just pack really stupidly; I've seen really dense people box containing twelve bottles of wine, and, that's it. Just bottles in a box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.