Community
Wiki Posts
Search

confirmation re AC fin 604

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2001, 6:13 am
Original Poster

confirmation re AC fin 604

I was told last night at work that fin 604 is indeed parked in YUL. The reason is major corosion on the keel beam. Fins 601-608 are going to be out of service anyway, but 604 went out a little early.

They are looking at 2 options for the airplane (as the rumours have it), 1) cut it up into tiny little pieces and sell it to the junk yard for use on the new TV program "Junkyard Wars"; 2) to repair the damage, convert it into a freighter and sell it as a cargo airplane.

In either option I think the tears are rolling. It looks like the Gimly Glider may have flown its last flight. Sadness is everywhere. RIP good friend, you served us well.
Old Feb 17, 2001, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
I flew an AC 767 from Toronto to Edmonton the week after the famous Gimli episode. All the talk on our flight was about the famous "glider's" feat the week before.
I searched for many years afterward to get the book that was written by the pilot of the "glider", Robert Pearson (I think that is his name, or is it Preston??), and finally found it in a used book store in Oakville. Engrossing reading to say the least--book is called "Freefall". Saw the movie about the incident, close, but the book is better.

bj-21.

------------------
'Tis better to have played and won, then never to have played at all.

[This message has been edited by blackjack-21 (edited 02-17-2001).]
Old Feb 18, 2001, 5:41 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
Can someone please explain to me why (Fin 604) this plane is so special? Is there some kind of story behind it? Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2001, 5:50 pm

Originally posted by Agincourt:
Can someone please explain to me why (Fin 604) this plane is so special? Is there some kind of story behind it? Thanks.
CPYVR posted a couple of good links in this thread. . .
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum5/HTML/001836.html
Old Feb 18, 2001, 10:54 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
Oh WOW!!! What an interesting story (glad that I wasn't on it )!! After I read the story, I recall watching a movie few years ago calls "Falling from the sky, Flight xxx", on CityTV in Toronto, which was VERY similar to the situation described in AC143 (back then). Anyone remember seeing this movie? I even taped it back then, but too bad I erased it already. If possible, I'd like to watch it again.
Old Feb 19, 2001, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Yes Agincourt, this movie was based the true story of the Gimley Glider, or fin 604.

Too bad you'll probably never see the airplane again .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.