A question about SuperElite upgrades

Old Feb 15, 01, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AC
A question about SuperElite upgrades

I just returned from HNL this afternoon. (Believe it or not, the weather in Toronto is better than it is Honolulu.)

Awaiting me was my first SE package. I noticed that the upgrade coupon states that it can be used on connecting travel ("origin to destination including connections"). My question is this:

What if I do a stopover at the connection point? For example, I fly LHR to MIA with a connection at YYZ. What if I spend a week in Toronto? Will I need two coupons for that?
Old Feb 15, 01, 10:35 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Yes you'll need 2 coupons.. Connections is when you leave a city within 24 hours on an international flight and 4 hrs on a domestic flight.
Old Feb 15, 01, 10:37 pm

My experience is that if you get a decent agent, they will remark the file that the certificate has been lifted at origin.

I do think there must be a difference thought between a connection and a stopover.

Old Feb 15, 01, 10:37 pm

My experience is that if you get a decent agent, they will remark the file that the certificate has been lifted at origin.

I do think there must be a difference thought between a connection and a stopover.

Old Feb 15, 01, 10:39 pm

No way you will get an agent that is willing to collect just 1 cert if you are doing LHR-YYZ-MIA and you are staying {stopover} for 1 week.

Stopvers will require you another cert.
Old Feb 15, 01, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I figured I'd need another coupon. This is unfortunate. The LHR-YYZ-MIA-YYZ-LHR scheme fits well for me. Y class is cheap and earns about 12,000 miles upgraded. The problem is if I use 4 coupons I'll be consuming them faster than I'm renewing the supply.
Old Feb 15, 01, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Silly me, I forgot one small thing. About 50% of the time they don't bother taking the coupons anyway. So this should work.
Old Feb 15, 01, 10:52 pm

Just remember to upgrade through t/a. Otherwise if AC does it it will flag at the gate computer.
Old Feb 15, 01, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Just remember to upgrade through t/a. Otherwise if AC does it it will flag at the gate computer
Huh? Can you elaborate?
Old Feb 15, 01, 10:56 pm

What the heck are you talking about Flyboy??
Old Feb 15, 01, 11:02 pm

If AC does the upgrade, it flags your file. You can tell when this is the case 'cause the Kiosk will remind you to bring your certificates.

But if t/agent does it, and they cancel original segment(s)(***this is crucial***), it doesnt flag at Kiosk or gate, even though booked in C, 'cause in the system it is like a regular confirmed discount business booking.

...just another quirk of the system!

[This message has been edited by Fly Boy (edited 02-15-2001).]
Old Feb 15, 01, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

I usually check in at a kiosk and it does display something about having my upgrade coupons. Then I board the plane and nobody asks for the coupon.

If I check in with a human agent, they never seem ask for the coupons.
Old Feb 15, 01, 11:16 pm

Yeah, sometimes they ignore the flags anyway. Interesting that human AC agent doesn't ask - surprising that they don't notice. Maybe it depends on how they pull up your file...[?]
Old Feb 16, 01, 12:15 am

I seriously don't think that just because you book with travel agent, AC will not collect upgrade stickers from you. If every travel agent does this, then AC will be paying them a lot of commission since AC will think that they sold "C" class. Even if the travel agent does the upgrade for you, the agent at the airport can still see the original fare basis.
Old Feb 16, 01, 7:45 am

Originally posted by Empress:
I seriously don't think that just because you book with travel agent, AC will not collect upgrade stickers from you.
I didn't say that. I just said if one upgrades with t/agent, in the way I have explained, it will not flag the gate agent. That doesn't mean they won't check flight coupon and ask for the certificate. All it means is the computer will not prompt (remind) them to do so.

Search this Thread