Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

12,000 miles needed in December for SE - worth doing a Mileage Run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12,000 miles needed in December for SE - worth doing a Mileage Run?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by fin 645
It is my understanding that you can stay in PVG for less than 48 hours without a visa (but not PEK).
Careful with that. My understanding is you can transit from one country to another country via PVG as described, but not come from and return to the same country.... Definitely best to check on this!
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Max Power
As of December 1 this year, I'll be at 88,500 status miles for the year. Do you think it would be worthwhile to do a mileage run of some kind to pick up the missing 11,500 miles?
As a lower bound on the value of SE figure what the difference in the bonus miles would be. The SE bonus is 100% and the E bonus is 50%.

So if you do about 80k miles on AC or the other airlines that you get bonuses with that's 40k bonus miles. If you value miles at about 1c/mile that's $400 of value right there.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Thanks for the advice about the Chinese visa. I'll fill in the application and send my passport off to Ottawa - it appears that the visa only costs $50.

Then again - maybe I should knowingly travel without a visa. After all, if the Chinese immigration folks don't let me in, they'll just put me back on the plane I arrived on, and I'll still get the miles I'm after, plus the bonus of only being away from home for 29 hours, instead of 53 hours.

Michael
There might be a Chinese COnsultate in Vancouver that could process the visa quicker than mailing it to Ottawa/Toronto. The problem of traveling without the visa/passport isn't the Chinese, Air Canada won't let you on the plane since the CHinese fine them for having to send someone back. If you are staying less than 48 hours you could buy a refundable ticket on another airline to another destination and show that as your reason for not needing a visa then simply cancel the ticket when you arrive.

Originally Posted by fin 645
It is my understanding that you can stay in PVG for less than 48 hours without a visa (but not PEK). But don't bet on travelling without the visa - AC may not accept you on the flight without proper documentation. Can anyone confirm how closely they check ?

I have flights booked to both and plan to get a multiple entry visa. And this weekend's codes may drive me to do more - do I feel an urge to try for SE in 2011?
They check very closely.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC SE, H Gold +, B Fast
Me too

Hello All:

I need some advice and wisdom from the experts and enthusiasts here on the forum.

For the last 12 years, I've wound up as either Elite or Super-Elite each year. The only difference I have noticed between the two levels is that getting an upgrade using a certificate is a "sure bet" when SE, but only successful about 75% of the time when plain old E.
I am in roughly the same boat. I am doing a YYZ to Victoria making sure I land in YVR then pick up the 500 between there and Vic. I make sure that I book into Vic for about three hours but just ask at the gate for an earlier flight to YYZ. I can easily do a return in a day, especially if in J and get 5156. Do this twice. Also, when in YYZ on one trip you should go to Halifax return for 1600. T+ about $600. Would these 10 trips put you there as well?

I think SE is definitely worth it.

As of December 1 this year, I'll be at 88,500 status miles for the year. Do you think it would be worthwhile to do a mileage run of some kind to pick up the missing 11,500 miles? If so, what route would you suggest to a Victoria BC based person?

I have very limited time available to do such a run (3 days total at the very most), and I don't care where the plane would go. When I get into a plane, I just fall asleep until it lands, no matter where I am sitting. Note that I have a couple of the 'Special System Wide' upgrade certificates still remaining, so, I suppose I could use them on such a mileage run to improve the quality of the sleep.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
go to HKG and enjoy the day if you don't want to hassle with visas.

I would likely pay the extra and do a run to LHR where there are more daily flights and more likelihood of R space for an Elite flyer last minute. Do it soon as the flights start selling out.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: AirCanada SuperElite, Avis, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold
thank you!!!!!!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: AirCanada SuperElite, Avis, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold
I missed a connecting flight to Sao Paolo last year because my visa had expired (bonehead mistake on my part). AC absolutely would not board me...I traveled via Beijing a few months ago and needed visa for 24 hour stay. Better not risk it!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE, CX DM, HH DM, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, PC PL
Brings back memories

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...es-2004-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.