Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC joins coalition to combat child sex tourism

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...164/story.html

MONTREAL - Air Canada is partnering with the Montreal police, the Sureté du Québec and non-profit groups in a campaign to combat child sex tourism abroad.

The airline is showing videos on its planes and posters will be displayed at airports in Montreal and Quebec City to increase awareness about child sex exploitation in foreign lands.

An estimated 2 million children a year are sexually abused and exploited.

And the PR with a bit more on the campaign:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...sm-1356116.htm
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Saw some of these ads on a recent research trip to/from Cambodia. Tragic as you look around the plane and see that there are basically three kinds of travellers: 1) Cambodian residents 2) NGO folk 3) Sex tourists. If there is a hell, I hope there is a special place there for those who prey on children!

Kudos AC for raising awareness and not standing idly by! ^
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:44 am

Ummm. Many regular tourists visit Cambodia as well. In fact, I was there last week with Mrs. Scoop. Lots of couples and backpacker types. Japanese tour groups, Chinese tour groups...

Kind of ridiculous to generalize like that.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Scoop
Ummm. Many regular tourists visit Cambodia as well. In fact, I was there last week with Mrs. Scoop. Lots of couples and backpacker types. Japanese tour groups, Chinese tour groups...

+1 My wife and I are planning on visiting Angkor Wat next year. While Cambodia and Thailand do tend to have more of "those" types of visitors than say...Australia...there are also many other attractions to visit in the area.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Scoop

+1 here too. My husband and I are visiting BKK in February -- is everybody on the plane going to look at the early-30s white gay boys and judge? I better get a tshirt that says "NOT A SEX TOURIST THANK YOU"
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
Saw some of these ads on a recent research trip to/from Cambodia. Tragic as you look around the plane and see that there are basically three kinds of travellers: 1) Cambodian residents 2) NGO folk 3) Sex tourists. If there is a hell, I hope there is a special place there for those who prey on children!

Well you don't seem to be a resident and you didn't say you were researching as part of an NGO so can we conclude you are volunteering for your group 3? Or is there at least a 4th group of people who fly to make absurd and ill informed generalizations about people they know nothing about?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
...can we conclude you are volunteering for your group 3? Or is there at least a 4th group...
Remember, there are three types of people on FlyerTalk: those who can count, and those who can't.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:19 pm

delete

Last edited by jasonkevin77; Aug 16, 2019 at 10:03 am Reason: delete
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Originally Posted by jmcintosh

okay okay okay... I get it ...

Yes I was there researching with an NGO ... and YES, legitimate tourism is a big part of the Cambodian economy -- of which many legitimate tourists are there to see and experience a beautiful and wonderful country.

So... that said, my apologies to generalize, and we can then introduce the legitimate 4th category of "responsible, fun-seeking tourist, and/or general non-child-sex-trade-seeking person" .

Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:29 pm

I am glad to hear they stick to one area primarily. We will be all over, so hopefully we'll just be seen as plain old regular tourists.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Let's not get off track here, this is a great effort on the part of AC.

Anything done to raise awareness of this kind of situation deserves a ^ in my book.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by payam81
Let's not get off track here, this is a great effort on the part of AC.

Anything done to raise awareness of this kind of situation deserves a ^ in my book.
Absolutely, this should be supported.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by payam81
Sigh, I thought we were done with the "raising awareness" types of feel-good campaigns in the 90s. How does putting up a few depressing posters to disturb travellers trying to enjoy their vacations make the problem go away?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Sigh, I thought we were done with the "raising awareness" types of feel-good campaigns in the 90s. How does putting up a few depressing posters to disturb travellers trying to enjoy their vacations make the problem go away?
How does ignorance of social problems make them go away? In order for someone to attempt to solve a problem they must first become aware that a problem exists.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:31 am

c.f.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008.../18-awareness/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.