AC changed itinerary

Old Nov 19, 10, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E
AC changed itinerary

Can't seem to find the answer on the AC website and was hoping to get your input before I speak to customer service.

Booked my flight back in July - originally due to fly into YVR at 2322 then take an overnight flight to HKG at 0030.

Just received an itinerary change and now the flight to HKG isn't until 1140 the next day?!

What are my options? Can I get a refund and go shopping elsewhere? Should they pay for overnight accommodations in YVR?

This can't be fair.
Old Nov 19, 10, 12:43 am

Yes, you can get a refund. You can also have a look at the schedule and ask to be rebooked on what suits you better. AC is generally very accommodating when there are sched. changes but it does help to know what it is that you want when you call in.
Old Nov 19, 10, 6:59 am
alc

I think your situation is what being mentioned in the thread:

AC YVR-HKG W 10 Change

and I actually had a post mentioning about my YYZ-YVR-HKG flight was be able to change to YYZ-HKG Direct using this schedule change as an excuse. And it was a reward ticket too and no chg fee was charged. The main excuse I used back then was an unexpected hotel stay in Vancouver. I also did mentioned about that I need to catch another flight in HK at 10am with a non AC ticket. This is when they are willing to change my flight from a non-direct to direct flight. But the agreement was AC will not respondable for the hotel night in HK, as the direct flight will get me to HK the day before.... which is fine for me.

I see your profile show you are base in YYC and hence, this direct route option will not work for you. So you are try to get AC paid the hotel night at YVR. AC do have the StopOver Hotel offer:

aircanada_com - The Air Canada Stopover

Where they are a couple threads that talk about this program:

The Air Canada Stopover Hotel program

the AC overnight hotel promo, is it still available???

If my understanding is correctly, your org ticket departure at ~9pm on Day 1 and get to HK ~6am on Day 3. Am I correct? Why don't you ask AC to change your YYC-YVR flight from Day 1 to the next day morning. There are a few flights that departure in the morning that will get you to YVR in time for the YVR-HKG flight.
Old Nov 20, 10, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E
Thanks to the above posters for the info.

As a follow-up, called AC and the agent was very helpful. Tried to help re-book my flight but in the end, decided on getting a refund with no penalties/cancellation fees.

Saw the sale on Asia flights today and will re-book if revised itinerary works for me.
Old Nov 20, 10, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This past summer wasn't the first time AC had the overnight YVR-HKG. I believe they had it on some other occassion several years ago. But eventually they switched back to an afternoon departure like what they did again at the end of October (hence the effect on the OP).

I travel the NA-HKG routes many times (since I have homes in both Canada & HK) throughout the course of the year (mostly on CX) and personally I prefer evening HKG arrivals versus the morning ones as the evening ones bode better for my jetlag.
Old Nov 20, 10, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Call in.. no change fee.. refund no charge.. work with the agent until you get the itinerary you want, or a refund.

Search this Thread