Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ease of Achieving SuperElite Status?

Ease of Achieving SuperElite Status?

Old Feb 14, 2001, 8:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
AfterBurner

The question to the point is that you are SuperElite, and although you may not enjoy the effort of getting this status, obviously you enjoy the status itself.

Question - most of your flying is probably non-discretionary. If you were close to a threshold status for SuperElite, but needed to do some extra discretionary travel to achieve that status (whether it be mileage runs, extra vacations, etc), would you do it?
Old Feb 14, 2001, 8:16 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
In a second.
Old Feb 14, 2001, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, AC
The answer to your question, FlyerGoldII, is yes. I did squeeze in some extra flying at the end of 2000 to qualify. 2001 is my first year as Super Elite so I'll need to wait to find out if the status is worth it. I'll be sure to let you know.
Old Feb 14, 2001, 10:17 pm

...would you do it?
Oooo... wrong question. Thanks for playing. Please drive through.

The correct question is "How often have you done it?"
Old Feb 14, 2001, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC MM
I agree with After Burner - I have been SE for two year now, and look forward to the first year that I won't even make the qualification level for Prestige.

None of my travel is for recreation, all of it is simply "commuting to get to work". It is nice to get the free upgrades, the lounge access makes some of the wasted time more pleasant, but overall, I would be more happy to be rid of all the travel.

How do you make Super Elite? Simple, just sit in a plane for over 200 hours a year. It might sound like fun if you have not done it, but believe me, it ain't no fun.

Cost-wise - doing intercontinental travel only, and using the least expensive tickets I can fine, it costs about CA $12,000 to make the qualifying level the first year you do it, and about CA$ 9,000 each subsequent year. The reason for the lower cost in subsequent years is that the airline gives out extra bonus Q miles for using the free upgrade certificates that they give out. (Why they do this, I have no idea - it makes no business sense whatsoever).
Old Feb 15, 2001, 2:30 pm

BB I was interested in your remarks about honorary SE would be nice after say five years of achieving it.

I am in the Cdn German chamber of Commerce and just after the AC Centre opened in Toronto, Air Canada had us all down for a tour of their offices, the arena and a cocktail party followed by a speech by The manager of their operations for I think everything but flight operations. He was the chief honcho in Toronto, and he was German, hence the invitation.

Anyway he spoke about the levels and how great SE was. And then the clincher . He said
if you made SE THREE YEARS IN A ROW THEY WOULD GIVE IT TO YOU FOR LIFE.

I can try toget this man's name from the chamber if you want it.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 2:37 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Three years for life? No way they would do that...

What is this...our 4th year now?

Dorian
Old Feb 15, 2001, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Not a chance. 3 years earning SE doesn't come close to a level of business that would justify lifetime SE.

The figure most people toss around is a million Q-miles. But even then, there is at least one person on this board who has earned that, who isn't lifetime SE.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 6:48 pm
ABW

Programs: AC SE 3MM, Bonvoy LTE, Accor Diamond, Amex Centurion
This is my third year in a row as SE and there was no reference to lifetime membership in my welcome letter.

I would have to be very close to SE/SEP before I would spend my personal funds to qualify/re-qualify. I have been fortunate since 97 that my job (International Sales Manager) has allowed me to travel enough for EP or SE.

However, excessive travel is very hard on our young family. In 98 I flew 230K Q-miles, a year in which our second son was born only 19 months after our first. This year may be similar as I will have flown 52K Q-miles by the end of Feb. and I am getting that "enough is enough" feeling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.