Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transborder Baggage allowance for *S Companion

Old Nov 14, 10, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P

Hi,

I'm a UA *S. When I fly on UA, CO or US with a companion (no status), we each get to check 2 bags for free within North America. Is the policy the same with AC? Or will the companion have to pay for a second bag?

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 10, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 50k, WJ Gold, Alaska Gold, DL Silver
Just check in together and you should have no problem checking 2 bags each even on different PNRs.
Old Nov 24, 10, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post
Just check in together and you should have no problem checking 2 bags each even on different PNRs.
...unless, of course, the Agent is following policy which may preclude such shared benefits. So, if your companion is not charged, enjoy; and if s/he is charged, just confirm the policy.
Old Nov 24, 10, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by duncf View Post
Hi,

I'm a UA *S. When I fly on UA, CO or US with a companion (no status), we each get to check 2 bags for free within North America. Is the policy the same with AC? Or will the companion have to pay for a second bag?

Thanks
As others have already said, I donīt think any of the airlines have an official policy that extend the *S/*G luggage allowance to the travel companion.

Give it a shot, but be nice to the agent if you get a "no" as an asnwer.
Old Nov 30, 10, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
As others have already said, I donīt think any of the airlines have an official policy that extend the *S/*G luggage allowance to the travel companion.
United's stated policy is to extend luggage allowance to companions of elites:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52649,00.html

Continental has similar info on their site. I remember reading that US has the same policy, but I can't find it now.

It'd be nice to know for sure, or I'll just have to prefer UA on transborder flights when we've got ski stuff.
Old Nov 30, 10, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by duncf View Post
United's stated policy is to extend luggage allowance to companions of elites:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52649,00.html

Continental has similar info on their site. I remember reading that US has the same policy, but I can't find it now.

It'd be nice to know for sure, or I'll just have to prefer UA on transborder flights when we've got ski stuff.
According to CO baggage site, this companion free baggage check in exemption applies to CO One Pass Elite members.

Looks like US doesnt extend that benefit to companions anymore

One thing to note too, UA/US/CO doesnt offer free checked baggage for regular Y customers (except full fares)....but AC allows 1 check in baggage for free (unless you opted during the ticket purchase that you dont want check in baggage)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: