Would an AC LHR do make sense?

Old Nov 12, 10, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Would an AC LHR do make sense?

Have we ever tried doing a LHR do? Given how many AC flights go through there I imagine a fair few of AC FT fliers find themselves there from time to time.
Old Nov 12, 10, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by zkzkz View Post
Have we ever tried doing a LHR do? Given how many AC flights go through there I imagine a fair few of AC FT fliers find themselves there from time to time.
Yes, this type of DO has been done before.
Old Nov 13, 10, 1:44 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
There's a nonzero chance that I'd be able to find the time to make the trek out to LHR for a get-together. It depends on what day it would happen, I guess. I suspect there's more than a few of us out in this part of the world, too, and I'd bet that many of us enjoy beer.
Old Nov 13, 10, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
There has been an official AC Do at one of the LHR hotels, but also a couple of microDos where AC flyers gathered on a given date and location in London proper for a few pints and to meet one another. Did this a few years ago when a couple of us were going to be in London visiting and we met a few London-based ACers.
Old Nov 13, 10, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC*E50K MM, PC Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
There's also the regular President's Day weekend in London (February 18-21 next year) that SkiAdcock organizes (link here )

There are usually a few AC flyers that show up for that one.
Old Nov 13, 10, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Tax Dude View Post
There's also the regular President's Day weekend in London (February 18-21 next year) that SkiAdcock organizes (link here )

There are usually a few AC flyers that show up for that one.
Yeah, what he said! At the first one I ever attended I met mpc1 who's an AC FTer. I thought I met taxdude & shareholder at one as well, but now I'm thinking the first time I met them was at the AC SIN Do, and subsequent to that have seen them at the London Dos on Prez Weekend.

So, while not a AC-only LHR Do, would be great to see some of you there.

Cheers.
Old Nov 13, 10, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC Altitude SE100K/1.75MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
As SH mentions, back in SEPT 2005 AC organized a get-together at LHR. Most of us stayed at the Renaissance on the Bath Road.

Ben Smith hosted the meeting in a conference room at what was then the LHR Visitors Centre. Some AC managers from the UK also attended. CMcK was also there.

Also present IIRC: Empress, FatBoyYVR, parnel, BOH, edinv and about 5 others.

Last edited by NordsFan; Nov 13, 10 at 9:08 pm
Old Nov 13, 10, 6:33 pm

Location: YYZ; AC SE MM * UA PP * BA G * DL SM MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Accor Platinum * Queen's 92
If a do can be put together, I suspect we can get some of the concierges out.

Simon
Old Nov 14, 10, 12:18 am

Ah yes, LHR.

Super high taxes. Super expensive hotel rooms. Astonishingly bad food.

I guess you can count me out.
Old Nov 14, 10, 1:25 am

Programs: AC 50K 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer View Post
Ah yes, LHR.

What about a FRA Do instead?

I guess we do have quite a number of people also in continental Europe being interested, on top hotels are cheaper and the food is much better (and I am not talking about the new Hooters that opened at FRA a few weeks ago).
Old Nov 14, 10, 7:15 am

Ah yes, LHR.

Agree about the taxes (airport and VAT), but I generally do a February trip with a couple of friends and we have had really good luck at booking either 2-for-1 or priceline rates at decent hotels for $70-$90/night. The current exchange rate really helps now too. And, I don't know when the last time you were there, but London food can be great. But don't worry, there's still lots of over-cooked grey beef in the pubs on Sundays if that's what you're after!

I'd be in for an AC LHR do.
Old Nov 14, 10, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC *s p, BA bronze, A3 & EI nobody!
Originally Posted by NordsFan View Post
Also present IIRC: Empress, FatBoyYVR, parnel, BOH, edinv and about 5 others.
- Confirm I was there! A good day out, entertained well by AC and enjoyed meeting other ACFTers.
I would be interested in attending another AC LHR do.
Old Nov 14, 10, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Ah yes, LHR.

and cold weather!

But, if the atmosphere is right.....
Old Nov 15, 10, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tax Dude View Post
Agree about the taxes (airport and VAT), but I generally do a February trip with a couple of friends and we have had really good luck at booking either 2-for-1 or priceline rates at decent hotels for $70-$90/night. The current exchange rate really helps now too. And, I don't know when the last time you were there, but London food can be great. But don't worry, there's still lots of over-cooked grey beef in the pubs on Sundays if that's what you're after!
I guess I just still surprised after all these years that food picked up at a gas station on a French highway is generally better than food in a high end English restaurant.
Old Nov 15, 10, 10:15 pm

I guess I just still surprised after all these years that food picked up at a gas station on a French highway is generally better than food in a high end English restaurant.
How do the gas stations on French highways compare to the gas stations on Italian highways? mmmmm, prosciutto.

Last edited by Tax Dude; Nov 15, 10 at 10:17 pm Reason: my bad Italian spelling.

Search this Thread