Wiki Posts
Search

Remembrance Day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-E
Remembrance Day

I have never been on a flight on Remembrance Day, so I’m not sure if this is always done. But on my flight today MEX-YUL, the flight crew asked for a couple of minutes of silence at 11am. Nice touch.

Lest we forget.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I recently returned from ICN and toured the Korean War Memorial and noted the Canadian soliders who lost their lives in that conflict. A wreath with the Canadian flag was in front of the brass plaque with the name of the who soldiers who died and it was a quiet, solemn moment in the middle of a bustling city.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: meh
I visited two of the essentially forgotten graveyards of Canadians who were killed while defending Hong Kong in WWII. Very tranquil resting places in an otherwise over-energized city.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by Shredder
I have never been on a flight on Remembrance Day, so I’m not sure if this is always done. But on my flight today MEX-YUL, the flight crew asked for a couple of minutes of silence at 11am. Nice touch.

Lest we forget.
That is a very nice touch. Here in TO they apparently paused all subway service for two minutes at 11am as a mark of respect.

I was thinking of my Grandpa a lot yesterday. He just turned 90 this year and he served in World War II, going on to become an AC pilot flying the Viscount, DC-8 and occasionally the DC-9. He retired to Kelowna in the mid 1970s and my mother and her mom had a falling out when I was quite yong, not getting back in touch until my teenage years. My Grandpa's a fascinating man and I'm grateful to have gotten to know him again in my adult life on the few trips I've been able to make out to the Okanagan.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was at Juno Beach in Normandy two weeks ago. Very emotional afternoon.

I spend yesterday morning in my office surrounded by military memorabilia given by relatives who served in WWII. I especially cherish the Memorial Cross (Silver Cross) awarded to my grandmother after the death of her son (my uncle) on the battlefield.

Je me souviens. !

Last edited by airbus320; Nov 12, 2010 at 6:13 am
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
That is a very nice touch. Here in TO they apparently paused all subway service for two minutes at 11am as a mark of respect.
All subways, streetcars, and buses stopped for two minutes (as long as they were in a safe location). Nice touch.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance
I was on an AC flight a couple of years ago. I'll always remember the message from the cockpit:
This is the 11th minute of the 11th day of the 11th month. Please observe a minute of silence. But we in the cockpit will continue working, so don't worry.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Out of respect for veterans, my sons school did not take Remembrance day off yesterday, and did a ceremony. Traffic was clear like it was a stat holiday.. I imagine airport traffic was light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.