Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upgrades during the transition from paper to electronic

Old Nov 10, 10, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

I will cross a threshhold on November 28 which will get me to a threshold level that bestows on me two highly valued SSWU. I have booked aflight to Asia on January 1 - early start on 2012 status - which I would hope to upgrade. Right now the flight shows J9/C9/Z9/R7 on a 777.

Simply I am looking for confirnation the the twopaper certificates procesed as that are now and will be in my possession by the end of December

The release announcing e-upgrade is not very helpful and unclear - or it is crystal clear (eUpgrades start on March 1 - depending how your read it .

What concerns me the most are the two references to December but then goes on to say that papaer certificates are required for ugrades until the end of February. Or is this for upgrades made before your eupgrade bank was opened?

"Starting in December, you will be able to manage and use your eUpgrade Credits for travel on any Air Canada or Jazz® flight as of March 1, 2011. You'll even be able to share your eUpgrade Credits with other travellers. And no matter how you completed your booking, you can request upgrades to Executive Class® or Executive First® on aircanada.com. We will announce all the details when we unveil our 2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program in a few week's time.

In the meantime, your current paper certificates will remain valid until February 28, 2011. Should you have a confirmed upgrade for travel prior to this date, you will need to present a valid Air Canada Top Tier upgrade certificate at the airport.
Starting in December, you will be able to manage and use your eUpgrade Credits for travel on any Air Canada or Jazz® flight as of March 1, 2011."

I have booked the best seats in Y, but I hope to be able to upgrade.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old Nov 10, 10, 8:47 am

Programs: AC
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.862 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Ecerts don't really have anything to do with his.. You should be able to get your threshold certs by Jan 1 but there are no guarantees as there are quite a few holidays around there.

Good luck!
Old Nov 10, 10, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Thanks.

The mailing of the certificates concerns me as well with the holidays.

Just checked and I passed a threshold on Sept. 23 and got the certs on October 17.
Old Nov 10, 10, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I read into the announcement is that paper certs will work until end of February, but that starting from the point that they announce and ship the 2011 program, the new certificates will also start working. So as to things actually end up working just as in the past: that you can use a cert as soon as you get it.

The interesting question remains, though, when do they start giving new certs for thresholds reached still in 2010?

It may well be the case that they finally figures out that certificates are a good way to entice people to buy more expensive fares, and that being overly stingy actually does not do them all that good. So I would not be overly surprised if they go back to a more liberal policy.

Together with the increase of latitude fare prices. For better or worse. As I like to say, it's a cat and mouse game. They play, you play. They can increase fares, we buy or we don't. All part of the game. Which obviously some of us play better than others. Or are in a position whereby they can play better than others. Depending upon who actually pays, and what the policies are.
Old Nov 10, 10, 11:28 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
What I read into the announcement is that paper certs will work until end of February, but that starting from the point that they announce and ship the 2011 program, the new certificates will also start working. So as to things actually end up working just as in the past: that you can use a cert as soon as you get it.
What I read is that you can start "managing" your new e-upgrades once they are announced in December, but that they cannot be used until March 1, 2011. I will, however, be delighted to be proven wrong.

BTW, who is in charge of FT acronyms - do we have one for e-upgrades yet?
Old Nov 10, 10, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Will this include abolishing infant paper tickets for Aeroplan? Basically, to book an infant on Aeroplan, everyone in the party would have to revert back to paper tickets from e-tickets.
Old Nov 10, 10, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Will this include abolishing infant paper tickets for Aeroplan? Basically, to book an infant on Aeroplan, everyone in the party would have to revert back to paper tickets from e-tickets.
I don't think this has anything to do with paper- or e-tickets. The thread is about e-upgrade certs.
Old Nov 10, 10, 1:04 pm

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by jarusoba View Post
I don't think this has anything to do with paper- or e-tickets. The thread is about e-upgrade certs.
electronic upgrade->eUpgrade->eUp->Yup.

"I was so tired that night, at the last minute I said 'Screw it!' and yupped myself up front. Slept like a baby."

Old Nov 10, 10, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YYZ_TVGuy View Post
electronic upgrade->eUpgrade->eUp->Yup.

"I was so tired that night, at the last minute I said 'Screw it!' and yupped myself up front. Slept like a baby."

Anyhow, Yup/Y-UP is already used on FT as an abreviation for full fare economy fares where you´re automatically upgraded to C/F (without having to use miles/upgrade certs etc.)
Old Nov 10, 10, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
e-cert?
Old Nov 11, 10, 8:03 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Actually it is only the infants that require paper, the accompanying adults
can/must have e-tix.
And this is only for some carriers, not all.
( We did infants AE ticket on UA/TG - that was electronic,
infant ticket on AC only - that was electronic
infant ticket on AC/CA - required paper)
Old Nov 11, 10, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
How any of us "read" things or "interpret" things is irrelevant - what counts is what AC actually does as they implement these new electronic certs. The wording as of now is terribly vague.

I could be in line for 8-10 SSWU's between now and the end of the year depending on when I time pass purchases and cross thresholds. Most of these would end up as walpaper if they came as 2010 certs or they would be a most welcome jump start to the new year if they came as eCerts.

Any clarification from Andrew around the following would be most welcome:
  • Will eCerts only be valid for travel on or after March 1, 2011; or as in previous years will we be able to begin using the eCerts as soon as they are received?
  • What is the cut off date for when AC plans to stop shipping out 2010 certs and begins offering eCerts instead
  • Once the eCert program is up and running, how quickly will we be credited with eCerts - will it be a weekly or bi-weekly sweep, will it be upon purchase of pass and upon crediting of flight that takes us past a threshhold...
Old Nov 11, 10, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Actually it is only the infants that require paper, the accompanying adults
can/must have e-tix.
And this is only for some carriers, not all.
( We did infants AE ticket on UA/TG - that was electronic,
infant ticket on AC only - that was electronic
infant ticket on AC/CA - required paper)
I wish this was the case.. For the past 7 years, as soon as we have an infant, not only does the infant require paper tickets, but Aeroplan (not AC) requires Adult e-ticket holders to exchange their e-tickets for paper tickets as well (I know this sounds rediculous, but its true. And the loss of a paper ticket results in a fee of $250).. unless this requirement has recently changed since this last Spring Break.. I asked why this is the case, and Aeroplan said that they've never switched infants to the e-ticket system.. the entire party must be issued paper tickets as a result.
Old Nov 11, 10, 12:23 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

The E-Upgrade system will only be for travel on/after March 1, 2011. Anything before will still be based on 2010 Upgrade certificates since those are valid until Feb 28, 2011. Details on the E-Upgrade program will be communicated in Dec so you'll get a chance to familiarize yourself with it before it is in place for Mar. (This is also when you can upgrade any Latitude fares that are for travel on/after Mar)

Any status miles earned in 2011 will count towards the 2011 threshold program.
Old Nov 11, 10, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks for the response Andrew - so we need to be "hoarding" enough 2010 certs to get us through to March 1, 2011.

I just hope AC isn't planning to send me paper certs in late December/early January that have a two month or under shelf life.

Search this Thread