Wiki Posts
Search

Lap infants and seat assignment

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Lap infants and seat assignment

This may have been covered here before but no searching found results ...

Last night on my evening flight YYZ-YEG I was seated in the Premium section of a 320 and was within 1 row + or - of 6 lap infants/young kids with seats. Is there any standard AC practice to put them all lumped together?? I always assumed the practice was to put them closer to the back where the lavs are convenient and there is some space to walk around.

Normally I don't care if people are flying with kids, I have two of my own who fly very frequently with my partner and I ... however there were two kids who were screaming for at least an hour and neither of the adults were doing anything about it. For an hour we all agonized through screaming, squealing, and kicking while the dad of one said, "shhh....it's time to be quiet" and the mom of the other said, "shh...you are disturbing people." I do feel bad for folks when kids seem inconsolable, but for the love of god please TRY something. Walk around, turn on a movie, have some toys (none to speak of in either case). Frustrating when all I wanted to do was lean over and say, "what you're trying is clearly not working ... perhaps trying something else?!" @:-) I just didn't want to be Joe A$$hole ...

Is there an actual AC policy or practice for placement of families with lap kids?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:17 am

last time i had kids in the last row of J and i was in the first row of Y.... this family was split up with adults in Y and 2 of the 4 kids in J....and of course there was a fight amongst the kids, pushing seats up and down, running along the corridor etc....

things happen
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC E
If the baggage hold is good enough for pets, surely it's good enough for children.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
There is no "formal" kids section on flights. Individuals with kids/lap held infants have the same access to seating eligibility as any other fare paying customer. There are restrictions in so much that the number of occupants per row cannot exceed the number of available oxygen masks on that particular aircraft, as well as seating in emergency rows. There are no bassinets/skycots on narrow-bodied aircraft so they are no more prone to being seated up front as opposed to any other area of the aircraft. Is there any airline that provides a dedicated kids section?? I've not heard of one.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:21 pm

DHL, FedEx and UPS...... Live Shipping
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
DHL, FedEx and UPS...... Live Shipping
perhaps we can put loud and drunk business people travelling on company dimes on the trains....
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by mkjr
perhaps we can put loud and drunk business people travelling on company dimes on the trains....
I have flown 40-50,000 miles per year for many years and have never encountered a loud and drunk business person on an aircraft. And that is the God's truth.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
in the cargo hold after the locomotive
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith
I have flown 40-50,000 miles per year for many years and have never encountered a loud and drunk business person on an aircraft. And that is the God's truth.
Agreed. The drunk ones tend to be passed out.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I've encountered them in all combinations, including one seated next to me who decided to go to the bathroom on final approach to FRA and nearly forced a go-around. He was forcibly pulled out of the bathroom by the SD, his pants still down, and reseated next to me. Not exactly my best landing experience.

As for kid's seating, I travel with an infant and choose my seats online. Since I can pick any seat I want, the answer to the OP is no.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
I've encountered them in all combinations, including one seated next to me who decided to go to the bathroom on final approach to FRA and nearly forced a go-around. He was forcibly pulled out of the bathroom by the SD, his pants still down, and reseated next to me. Not exactly my best landing experience.

As for kid's seating, I travel with an infant and choose my seats online. Since I can pick any seat I want, the answer to the OP is no.
can u imagine the crap leaking onto the seat
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Three words - Bose Quiet Comfort!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mozzarella
Three words - Bose Quiet Comfort!
are u working for Bose now as their North American sales rep?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.