Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

M &U Tango Plus fares upgradable with SWU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan

I am first time Elite and am making my selections for the rest of the 2010 program.

Aeroplan states that some only some Tango Plus fare classes (M, U) can be upgraded to executive class using the SWU.

I've read a lot of threads on this website and everyone seems to be in agreement that only Latitude fares can be upgraded to executive class with the SWU.

My question - is it possible to buy a Tango Plus fare that is upgradeable with a SWU? If so, how can you select a M or U class tango plus fare as opposed to H, Q, V, W, S, L, K, T?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:48 pm

Latitude are Y and B classes

Tango Plus are the rest u mentioned. The M and U classes are the highest Tango Plus fares just under Latitude.... The price difference between a low Tango Plus and a high Tango Plus is significant

U can type the certificate code whe booking and AC.com will short list the booking classes for u.....

Just remember that M and U can only be upgraded 4 days in advance whereas Latitude could be upgraded immediately..... All subject to capacity controls.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Quade111
I am first time Elite and am making my selections for the rest of the 2010 program.

Aeroplan states that some only some Tango Plus fare classes (M, U) can be upgraded to executive class using the SWU.

I've read a lot of threads on this website and everyone seems to be in agreement that only Latitude fares can be upgraded to executive class with the SWU.

My question - is it possible to buy a Tango Plus fare that is upgradeable with a SWU? If so, how can you select a M or U class tango plus fare as opposed to H, Q, V, W, S, L, K, T?
Keep in mind Latitude fares can be upgraded at booking if R>0, but T+ M/U fares can only be upgraded at the appropriate window for your status (4 days for elite). Sometimes M fares are significantly more expensive than the cheapest available fare, sometimes they are reasonable. YMMV.

To purchase an M/U fare, when your searching on aircanada.com check the box that says show only upgradable fares and enter the cert number for an SWU (0070000) you will be quoted an M/U fare.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Before you purchase M/U flights after Feb 28th, remember that this was a temporary policy that was extended for 2010/11. AC could very easily limit SWU use to Y/B fares next year.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by DaveTO
Before you purchase M/U flights after Feb 28th, remember that this was a temporary policy that was extended for 2010/11. AC could very easily limit SWU use to Y/B fares next year.
Even more so, remember that 'SWU' as we know it might not exist next year.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by DaveTO
IMHO this statement is not accurate. When I first earned status with AC back in 2006 the top 2 T+ fares (or whatever they were called back then as there were numerous different names) could be upgraded with SWU within the window (these were B, H fares back then). I know for sure that this was the case as I was able to upgrade my (now) wife and I to LHR on a "high" leisure fare as a P (no SSWU) at T-2 days. In 2007 the rules changed and only Latitude fares could be upgraded with SWU. This remained the same for 2008 and 2009. Part way through 2009 AC realigned its booking classes with *A, as part of this process 2 of the Latitude fare categories were assigned to T+. In 2010, AC kept the eligibility for the top 2 T+ fares to be upgraded with SWU/NAU. To me, all that has happened is that AC reverted to a previous policy that allowed more fares to be upgraded with SWU.

While it is true that AC could easily limit SWU to Y/B fares next year, I would tend to agree with rehoult that the SWU as we know it might not even exist next year (with the introduction of e-certs).
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by YEG USER
IMHO this statement is not accurate. When I first earned status with AC back in 2006 the top 2 T+ fares (or whatever they were called back then as there were numerous different names) could be upgraded with SWU within the window (these were B, H fares back then).
It was more complicated back then because only certain destinations allowed T+ upgrades with SWU. Now it's any M/U so it's a lot easier to manage.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Yes, and I would add that these top two T+ fares M,U are generally significantly more expensive than H fares used to be back when they were upgradable.

Originally Posted by YEG USER
IMHO this statement is not accurate. When I first earned status with AC back in 2006 the top 2 T+ fares (or whatever they were called back then as there were numerous different names) could be upgraded with SWU within the window (these were B, H fares back then). I know for sure that this was the case as I was able to upgrade my (now) wife and I to LHR on a "high" leisure fare as a P (no SSWU) at T-2 days. In 2007 the rules changed and only Latitude fares could be upgraded with SWU. This remained the same for 2008 and 2009. Part way through 2009 AC realigned its booking classes with *A, as part of this process 2 of the Latitude fare categories were assigned to T+. In 2010, AC kept the eligibility for the top 2 T+ fares to be upgraded with SWU/NAU. To me, all that has happened is that AC reverted to a previous policy that allowed more fares to be upgraded with SWU.

While it is true that AC could easily limit SWU to Y/B fares next year, I would tend to agree with rehoult that the SWU as we know it might not even exist next year (with the introduction of e-certs).
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan
Thanks for replies everyone. I have it figured out now. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.