Whats there to do in YUL?

Old Nov 3, 10, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, DL PM
Whats there to do in YUL?

I have a 10 hour layover at YUL, just looking for ideas of something to do to pass the time. I'll be arriving on a red-eye so should I find a dayroom to rest?
Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 3, 10, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by cityboy340 View Post
I have a 10 hour layover at YUL, just looking for ideas of something to do to pass the time. I'll be arriving on a red-eye so should I find a dayroom to rest?
Thanks for the help!
There is nothing to do in Montreal. For real excitement, go to Toronto!
Old Nov 3, 10, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Go trainspotting at Dorval?

Interesting how you can get a train from YUL to downtown Toronto but you can't get a train from downtown Toronto to YYZ.
Old Nov 3, 10, 7:55 pm
Suspended

10 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy moly.
Old Nov 3, 10, 8:00 pm

Go to the city and buy some famous bagels !
Old Nov 3, 10, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Thats very true, go into LaSalle or something and get some lunch.
Old Nov 3, 10, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Get a dayroom... You'll be tired for sure
Old Nov 3, 10, 8:44 pm
Suspended

There used to be a place called the Grand Prix in Iberville, although I couldn't find it last time and suspect it was knocked down. There is another one in Richelieu on the south part of town on the road to the Vermont border. Well worth a visit if you have 10 hours in YUL. Probably about a 60 dollar cab ride but worth it.
Old Nov 3, 10, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by contikipaul View Post
There used to be a place called the Grand Prix in Iberville, although I couldn't find it last time and suspect it was knocked down. There is another one in Richelieu on the south part of town on the road to the Vermont border. Well worth a visit if you have 10 hours in YUL. Probably about a 60 dollar cab ride but worth it.
I would think that's at least a $100 cab ride, and probably not worthwhile. Meanwhile, at the StarMegaDo, they're debating some of Montreal's finest attributes.
Old Nov 3, 10, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by cityboy340 View Post
Thanks for the help!
gawd ... 10 hrs at YUL ... that would kill anyone.
Red-eye means you're arriving in the am ... while traffic into the city can be brutal after 7am, with 10 hours to kill, it's worth it. I agree with the above suggestion re: bagels ! but it's not a morning city - more of a late night city. The older downtown area is worth an explore if it's a nice day, and there are lots of great places for lunch.

If it's a cold or rainy day, just get a day room and sleep.
Old Nov 3, 10, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by okazon69 View Post
I would think that's at least a $100 cab ride, and probably not worthwhile. Meanwhile, at the StarMegaDo, they're debating some of Montreal's finest attributes.
$$100 bucks WOW. Ya thats a bit steep. Maybe the day room is best.
Old Nov 3, 10, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy View Post
Go to the city and buy some famous bagels !
I'd go for a smoked meat sandwich. Dunn's on St Catherine's, yumm.
Old Nov 3, 10, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold
It really depends what you want to do

If you think you will have energy to walk around a bit- no need to pay for an expensive taxi- there is a new bus service from the airport which goes directly downtown- it runs all the time. cost is only 7 dollars- but it is coins only.
here is the info:
http://www.stm.info/english/info/a-747.htm

The schedule says it takes 30 minutes into town but if you double that for rush hour traffic (worst case) that still leaves you with 6 hours in town and you can be back 2 hours early for your flight

I would get off at stop #4 you should be right near the main Montreal Tourist information which is at Peel & St-Catherine. This is where many of the city tours leave from. If you dont want a city tour I would walk along St-Catherine which has lots of stores- and look out for Crescent street for bars/restaurants.

There is a lot to do but it really depends what you want.
Old Nov 4, 10, 3:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by daveinmtl View Post
It really depends what you want to do

If you think you will have energy to walk around a bit- no need to pay for an expensive taxi- there is a new bus service from the airport which goes directly downtown- it runs all the time. cost is only 7 dollars- but it is coins only.
here is the info:
http://www.stm.info/english/info/a-747.htm

The schedule says it takes 30 minutes into town but if you double that for rush hour traffic (worst case) that still leaves you with 6 hours in town and you can be back 2 hours early for your flight

I would get off at stop #4 you should be right near the main Montreal Tourist information which is at Peel & St-Catherine. This is where many of the city tours leave from. If you dont want a city tour I would walk along St-Catherine which has lots of stores- and look out for Crescent street for bars/restaurants.

There is a lot to do but it really depends what you want.
+1 A great deal indeed - just don't slip on a wet floor like I did in Montreal and spend two days in hospital hee, hee!
Old Nov 4, 10, 10:36 am
DWM

Programs: AA Gold (and climbing), SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
One could also spend 10 hours easily staring at the beautiful Quebec ladies...

Search this Thread