FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Trip interruption experience - CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1142936-trip-interruption-experience-cibc-aerogold-infinite-visa.html)

Yukonprince Nov 1, 2010 11:51 am

Trip interruption experience - CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa

Last September 13 I started my mini RTW in F trip in Fredericton. I had a full day stop over in Montreal so took the $7 "747 city bus" into town for some sightseeing. It started to rain so I ducked into the St Catherine Street underground mall. There must have been some water on the floor and I went head over heels on my back. To cut a long story short I was unable to move and spent two days in hospital and had to cancel the rest of my trip.

I had booked some hotel rooms in Bangkok, Amsterdam and Zurich through "bidding" on Priceline. These hotel rooms were non refundable if not used. I had to pay $138 for the ambulance as well as taxes and fees on my points ticket back to Fredericton plus the $90 Aeroplan change fee to rebook my RTW trip.

I mailed all my expenses to the CIBC Visa (Global) insurance company in Montreal on October 21 and today received my refund cheque for $1,212.29 - everything I claimed for except the $90 + HST Aeroplan change fee to rebook my trip.

Pretty impressive customer service!

cam_macleod Nov 1, 2010 11:57 am

Fantastic! So glad your trip expenses were not a loss - very helpful when you restart your RTW again!

(I have the same card, and am pleased to hear this.)

Clipper801 Nov 1, 2010 12:38 pm

Just FYI - the maximum coverage is C$2,000 and one must charge at least 75% of the costs to the CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa.

jerryhung Nov 1, 2010 12:54 pm

Just another FYI on TD Travel CC (I know it's not Aeroplan related)

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdvisa/features.jsp#tcti

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption Insurance1

First Class Travel

When you charge the full cost of your trip to your TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card,2 you'll automatically receive Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance for the trip. If an illness, injury or other covered cause prevents you from starting your trip, you'll be covered for up to $1,000 of eligible cancellation expenses per eligible person, to a maximum of $5,000 for all eligible persons on the same trip. Eligible expenses include the cost of unused travel arrangements that were charged to your card or, with pre-approval, the cost of leaving later for your trip.

Also, if a covered cause prevents you from completing your trip, you'll be covered for up to $5,000 of eligible trip interruption expenses per eligible person, to a maximum of $25,000 for all eligible persons on the same trip. If you need to cancel or interrupt your trip, call the Emergency Assistance Center right away to report your cancellation or to discuss alternate travel arrangements: 1-866-374-1129 from Canada or the U.S. or, from other countries, call collect at 416-977-4425.

There are some limitations and exclusions. For example, costs that relate to pre-existing conditions are not covered. Also, only the expenses that are non-refundable when the covered cause happens will be covered. Please see your certificate of insurance for full details of benefits, eligibility, limitations and exclusions.

1 Underwritten by TD Life Insurance Company (re medical covered causes) and TD Home and Auto Insurance Company (re non-medical covered causes). Benefits, features and coverages are subject to conditions, limitations and exclusions, including a pre-existing condition exclusion, that are fully described in the certificate of insurance included with your TD Visa Cardholder Agreement. Note that this insurance offers different benefits on different terms and conditions than the Trip Interruption Insurance automatically included on the TD Gold Elite Visa Card, the TD U.S. Dollar Visa Card or the Optional Travel Medical Insurance Annual Plan

2 To be eligible for this insurance, your trip must be paid for in full using your TD Visa Card and/or associated TD Points.

Merlin666 Nov 1, 2010 1:37 pm

Good stuff. What other CCs have trip interruption coverage, and what are their annual fees?

blueline7 Nov 1, 2010 1:55 pm

Wow. Way to go. After reading the title to your post, was FULLY EXPECTING a different kind of story...

jeffdoucette Nov 1, 2010 3:06 pm

They were also fabulous when I was stuck in CDG during the April volcano fiasco.

pitz Nov 1, 2010 3:45 pm

The Aeroplan change fee was disallowed because you paid Aeroplan miles, and not cash, for the trip?

payam81 Nov 1, 2010 3:58 pm

Prince:

What documents did you have to send in as proof? And was everything handled through email or did you have to call in first?

I just wanna have a clue so as to be ready if I ever come across a situation like this.

Glad you didn't have to write-off the losses!

Yukonprince Nov 1, 2010 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by pitz (Post 15054956)
The Aeroplan change fee was disallowed because you paid Aeroplan miles, and not cash, for the trip?

It was the $90 change fee I had to pay to "rebook" my flights for April.

Because I had already started my itinerary I was unable to have the points put back into my AP account.

BTW - Aeroplan provided excellent service as well allowing for some minor changes when I rebooked. Normally no changes can be made to your routing or carriers once you have started.

Melville Nov 1, 2010 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by pitz (Post 15054956)

I would be interested to know about this change/cancellation fee being disallowed, as I know someone who just had a major injury which will require cancelling a reward trip in a few days.

Melville Nov 1, 2010 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Yukonprince (Post 15055117)
It was the $90 change fee I had to pay to "rebook" my flights for April.

Because I had already started my itinerary I was unable to have the points put back into my AP account.

BTW - Aeroplan provided excellent service as well allowing for some minor changes when I rebooked. Normally no changes can be made to your routing or carriers once you have started.

Thanks for sharing your experience and happy to hear you are happy with the handling of your insurance claim.

Yukonprince Nov 1, 2010 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 15055056)
Prince:

What documents did you have to send in as proof? And was everything handled through email or did you have to call in first?

I just wanna have a clue so as to be ready if I ever come across a situation like this.

Glad you didn't have to write-off the losses!

This is how I claimed:

... Called Visa who gave me the Claims phone number at Global insurance

... Called the Global Claims line on a Saturday afternoon

... Claim was opened, some details taken and I was given a claims number

... Global emailed the claim forms I had to fill out

... Claim form was easy to fill out

... I provided proof of my hospital stay (letter from the hospital I was a patient), my Aeroplan itinerary and the return YUL - YFC trip itinerary

... For each item claimed I provided: 1) Proof I booked the hotel including amount prepaid and highlighted where it said reservation was non refundable 2) I went online and printed the Visa statement line to prove I had paid by Visa and attached it to each item claimed 3) Ditto for the additional fees and taxes I had to pay for the YUL - YFC segment

... I tried to claim the $90 AP rebooking fee but it was disallowed

...Took 10 days to get my cheque once I submitted the claim

NOTE: All my hotels obtained through bidding on Priceline and non refundable. I was worried they would not pay for these however they did.

PS: I asked (unrelated) how one could prove when flights are delayed or cancelled - just take a photo of the TV screen showing delay or cancellation.

Yukonprince Nov 1, 2010 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Melville (Post 15055135)
I would be interested to know about this change/cancellation fee being disallowed, as I know someone who just had a major injury which will require cancelling a reward trip in a few days.

Not sure - I was not going to quible about it - happy to get the $1,212 back!

threepoint Nov 1, 2010 6:00 pm

Nice to hear a good customer service (aka: living up to your promises) story. I hold the same card and charge all my travel to it for the points of course, but also for reasons such as the one described.
I enjoyed similar prompt service after requesting my CIBC Aerogold Visa insurance (not Infinite at the time) redeem hotel expenses in YYC after a weather delay resulted in being stranded overnight. It was a paid T+ fare on AC, they didn't quibble, and I remain a loyal cardholder.