Cary on 22" flatscreen - on air canada.

Old Oct 31, 10, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Cary on 22" flatscreen - on air canada.

I'm flying aircanada from europe to YYZ, sometime in november. I intend to bring a 22" screen with me in it's original box, as hand luggage. Has anyone else done this?
Old Oct 31, 10, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
If it fits into the carry-on size limits (every screen is different) you should have no trouble.

I needed to carry a 4:3 20.1" panel earlier this year, and I ended up having to disassemble the stand in order to fit it into my carry-on.
Old Oct 31, 10, 8:36 am

Well I havnt done exactly that, but I do travel with a large camera bag. The large item carry on allowance for AC is 9 in x 16 in x 22 in (and you can also have a smaller item 6 in x 13 in x 17 in). My camera bag is 9 in x 12 in x 22 in and fits fine in all 777, 767, A330, A319/20/21. It just barely fits with some squeezing in the Embraer E75/90 and not in the regional jets or Dash8. If you are just flying trans-Atlantic to YYZ, you will probably be on a 777/767/A330, so size probably wont be an issue. The smaller planes are only used within the North America area. Having said that, you should measure the box and make sure it is within the max allowed size just in case the gate staff are picky.

22" monitors sell for around $200 in Canada. You might find it easier to pick one up at a place like www.futureshop.ca (locations allo over Toronto), or if it is a short visit, see if you can borrow one from someone you are visiting.
Old Oct 31, 10, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K
IMHO the monitor will exceed the allowable carry on size. Buy a new one here. PC hardware is cheaper on this side of the pond.

In GTA (Greater Toronto Area), 2 shops gave you very good price:

NCIX and Tiger Direct, both on-line and physically close to each other in Markham.
Old Oct 31, 10, 8:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Is your monitor dual voltage? If not, you'll need to buy one here anyway.
Old Oct 31, 10, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada View Post
A lot of LCD panels are dual voltage. And if it's a "special" one that's no longer available (like a ThinkVision 220x, for example) it may be worth carrying. But a run-of-the-mill panel? Leave the current one at home and pick up a new one when you get here.
Old Nov 1, 10, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Emma65 View Post
I'm flying aircanada from europe to YYZ, sometime in november. I intend to bring a 22" screen with me in it's original box, as hand luggage. Has anyone else done this?
First consideration; What are the dimensions of the box holding this 22' monitor? Stated maximums for carryon per aircanada.com :

Maximum size:
23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm (9 in x 16 in x 22 in)
Wheels and handles included.

Maximum weight: 10 kg (22 lb)
Old Nov 1, 10, 3:00 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
I did it last year with a 23" LCD in J, but with relatively light loads on all the domestic segments and the crew was more than happy to put it in the closet for the international segment. I did, however, open the box and add some packing materials for having to be checked and just asked the GA at checkin if it would be possible to instead carry it on.

I think it could go either way, but having moved two panels (this and another 19" in the hold) I think you'll be safe. Just never hurts to ask politely, although I don't think they'd approve if you unpacked it during flight and started using it.
Old Nov 1, 10, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post

22" monitors sell for around $200 in Canada. You might find it easier to pick one up at a place like www.futureshop.ca (locations allo over Toronto), or if it is a short visit, see if you can borrow one from someone you are visiting.
They're even cheaper at K-Mart or Costco !
Old Nov 1, 10, 4:55 am

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
They're even cheaper at K-Mart or Costco !
Been a while since you've been home? K-Mart is no more in the great white north!

Sorry I missed you in AMS, just got back to GVA. I recommend Barneys for breakfast... the crepe rolls (sounds worse than it is!) are to die for.
Old Nov 1, 10, 8:50 am

Programs: AC*SEMM
I did it more than once for a tradeshow ... Bigger than 22 inch I think ...

But they may forbid it and if you're unlucky they will have you check it ... Then bye bye screen

Also buy the screen with the external power supply (like some Samsungs) the power supply is auto-switch and the screen runs at 12V. The HP screen I have in front of me is auto-switch 100-220V / 50-60Hz ... So I would say most are today ...
Old Nov 1, 10, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
I concur with other posters. It's cheap & easy to buy one here. You can even order online and have it delivered to the hotel.

On the assumption this is for a trade show, you can hold a raffle at your booth for the monitor and just give it away at the end of the show. At the very least it's a nice way to collect business cards.
Old Nov 1, 10, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada View Post
It is dual voltage. It's an LG LED backlit 2ms response screen less than 6 months old. The original box is just under 24" long and 18" wide possibly 6" thick.

I'll look at the futureshop site and see how much they are over there. May just stick it in storage. it has 3 years insurance on it.

Edited to add:
Looked at futureshop and a BenQ 2ms response time and 24" was just under $200. Costco was discustingly extensive in comaprison to futureshop. I'll stick the one I have in storage until I know what to do with it. Thanks for the advice.

Now I got to figure out if I dare trying to talk the check in agent to allow me a rollaboard AND a pilot rollaboard. Would like to not have to ship cameras etc with DHL.

Last edited by Emma65; Nov 1, 10 at 2:36 pm
Old Nov 1, 10, 3:13 pm

Now I got to figure out if I dare trying to talk the check in agent to allow me a rollaboard AND a pilot rollaboard. Would like to not have to ship cameras etc with DHL.
Where are you going to be checking in?

A camera bag/backpack plus rollaboard is much more likely to be accepted than two rollaboards. Of course the check-in agent doesn't actually need to see the second one, but you would still need to get both of them past the FAs.
Old Nov 1, 10, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomh009 View Post
Where are you going to be checking in?

A camera bag/backpack plus rollaboard is much more likely to be accepted than two rollaboards. Of course the check-in agent doesn't actually need to see the second one, but you would still need to get both of them past the FAs.
I'd be checkin in in sweden. This is looking to be a move for me. Nothing set in stone yet, though. Don't want to check external hard drives and cameras. Might have to leave the roller here and just take the pilot and normal laptop shoulder bag. Now that I'm not taking the screen.

I've been able to take the rollaboard upright and rolling laptop bag (Delsey helium) on board without a raised eyebrow. But then I did travel business on that flight.

Search this Thread