Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Passport Canada’s Public Consultations Findings Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AE, SPG, HH

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/articles/20101025i.aspx?lang=eng

<exerpt>

In order to continue improving the Canadian passport, the Government of Canada will move to the next generation of travel documents by adopting the electronic passport, or ePassport. Implementing the ePassport will allow Canada to keep pace with international norms in the field of travel document security. This new passport will be more resistant to tampering and will make illicit travel, such as travelling under a false identity, much more difficult. At the same time, Passport Canada will start offering Canadian adults the choice of a 10-year validity period as well as the current 5-year validity period.

The passport application process will not change with the adoption of the ePassport. However, implementing this improved passport means that Passport Canada will have to make some changes to its services and associated fees. These changes will take effect when the ePassport is rolled out, starting in 2012.

=== continued @ url above ===

Finally, no renewing every 5 years. Will be nice for us nexus peeps too! I wonder how much the fees will go up by for the 10yr applicants as the govt'd obviously be losing some revenue.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/consultations/a....aspx?lang=eng

Last edited by helraiser; Oct 28, 2010 at 8:14 am Reason: Added link to ePassport info.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Let them add this as well as ABTC for Canadians and life will be good!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Let them add this as well as ABTC for Canadians and life will be good!
Alternative Behavior Treatment Centers?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Meh, my passports run out of pages before the 5 years are up anyways.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta/Gold
What a waste of money. These digital passports are the international standard now... we really don't have a choice. Why spend all this money discussing it? The same for the 10 year option. People like it? Duh!!!! And after all that it won't be available until 2012.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Malaysia actually had the first biometric passport in the world in 1993 when it was nary a mention anywhere else. And now only Canada is talking about it ?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wonder if they will start letting us get a 2nd passport. I welcome the 10 year passport, but having a 2nd passport would be extremely useful as well.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by jarusoba
I hear you - I have had to go to the double size passport for my last two. Even my last passport of 48 pages only lasted 4 years as it filled up to quickly.

Having 2 passports is great! One can be in getting visa's whilst I use the alternate. Yes, 1 is Canadian and the other is a euro one.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by tomh009
Alternative Behavior Treatment Centers?
APEC Business Travel Card.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:43 pm

I've got a 48-page one now. Although it's not filling up as fast as the last one -- with Nexus there are very few US entry stamps now.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
That's supposed to be happening within the next 12 months, is it not?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by WestonC
Having 2 passports is great! One can be in getting visa's whilst I use the alternate. Yes, 1 is Canadian and the other is a euro one.
Yes, I have 3 passports. But I still prefer to use the Canadian one, unless I'm going to a country where the Canadian passport requires a visa or the visa costs more.

The thickness of a 24-page passport is not that much thinner than the 48-page passport, but the price difference is only $5. I wonder why they can't make a 96-page version...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Hey word in there... "supposed"
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC*E
The thickness of a 24-page passport is not that much thinner than the 48-page passport, but the price difference is only $5. I wonder why they can't make a 96-page version...
It's about supply and demand. Even the 48 pager is well under 1% of total passports issued - although they are popular in Hong Kong. Raw materials not all that much more expensive than the 24 pager but consider the costs of managing multiple inventory, print runs, systems, etc. when most Canadians will never fill a 24 pager even with the move to a 10 year validity.

Maybe a 96 pager could be co-branded with FT?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:47 pm

Last I heard was some time in 2011, though I haven't heard much about the implementation since 2008.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.