Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC applauds new Canada-Switzerland enhanced Open Skies deal

Old Oct 27, 10, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/201...agreement.html

The governments of Canada and Switzerland have signed an enhanced open skies agreement that offers more flexibility on flights between Canada and Europe.

[B]Canada and the European Union signed an agreement last year that allows airlines the freedom to operate direct flights between any of the 27 EU countries and Canada.

According to the federal government and Air Canada, the new agreement with Switzerland takes that relationship to a new level.

One of the key changes allows airlines from Canada or Switzerland to stop in each other's territory and continue on to a third destination country.

In a statement to CBC News, Air Canada called the agreement an enhancement of current arrangements.

"It means that there are no limitations to capacity, code sharing arrangements, as well as tariff provisions," said Air Canada.
Old Oct 28, 10, 8:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/201...agreement.html

One of the key changes allows airlines from Canada or Switzerland to stop in each other's territory and continue on to a third destination country.
Wasn't this previously in existence with the YYZ-ZRH-DEL flights?
Old Oct 28, 10, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
Wasn't this previously in existence with the YYZ-ZRH-DEL flights?
IIRC back in the 1970's and possibly early 1980's there was either YYZ-ZRH-PRG and/or YYZ-ZRH-VIE.
Old Oct 28, 10, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
IIRC back in the 1970's and possibly early 1980's there was either YYZ-ZRH-PRG and/or YYZ-ZRH-VIE.
In the late 80's (that would be 1980's) I frequently operated YYZ-ZRH-ZAG. I don't believe that PRG was ever operated via ZRH, but certainly I could be mistaken.
Old Oct 28, 10, 11:10 am

Programs: UA, AE
I flew YYZ ZRH VIE on AC in 89 or 90. This was of course before all the alliances were created.
Old Oct 28, 10, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC Elite, AA Advantage, BA
YVR-GVA?

Think there would be any possibility of a YVR-GVA direct flight? I do this route a fair bit and it would be great not to have a 5 hour layover in Montreal.
Old Oct 28, 10, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by cinycat View Post
Think there would be any possibility of a YVR-GVA direct flight? I do this route a fair bit and it would be great not to have a 5 hour layover in Montreal.
Pending aircraft availability, 99.9% certain you wouid see YVR-ZRH before GVA. Once upon a time there was a summer service operating YVR-YYC-ZRH on all Y/C 767-200ER's - IIRC 227Y seats.
Old Oct 28, 10, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by rawilliam View Post
I flew YYZ ZRH VIE on AC in 89 or 90. This was of course before all the alliances were created.
There was a summer YYZ/VIE nonstop during that period which operated under the flight numbers 882/883.
Old Oct 28, 10, 2:57 pm

Why layover. YVR-ZRH; then take the train from Zurich Airport to Geneva (no change required). There's also a special deal for same day train to airport connections http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/artinfo/6055.html
Old Oct 28, 10, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
if AC has a 777 from YYZ-GVA then yes YVR might be an option, using a 767 from both airports. [or yul]
Old Oct 28, 10, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Forget AC. Let LX start direct flights to YVR, YYC and YYZ !
Old Oct 28, 10, 4:04 pm

Programs: E35K, TK*S ;Bonvoy PE
I just took a code share flight YYZ-YUL-ZRH and was only allowed one checked bag on the Air Canada YYZ-YUL segment. I was told that AC AND LX hadn't come to terms on a baggage agreement?! So, the Swiss and Canadian government can agree on open skies but AC can't agree on a baggage agreement??!!

I ended up taking my second checked bag on board the YYZ-YUL flight and then checking it in YUL for the final YUL-ZRH segment.
Old Oct 28, 10, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Forget AC. Let LX start direct flights to YVR, YYC and YYZ !
That would never happen as it would impact LH FRA/MUC loads !
Old Oct 28, 10, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, Acc Plat, HY Exp, HH Gold, BonV Titanium
Originally Posted by Sam_AE View Post
I just took a code share flight YYZ-YUL-ZRH and was only allowed one checked bag on the Air Canada YYZ-YUL segment. I was told that AC AND LX hadn't come to terms on a baggage agreement?! So, the Swiss and Canadian government can agree on open skies but AC can't agree on a baggage agreement??!!

I ended up taking my second checked bag on board the YYZ-YUL flight and then checking it in YUL for the final YUL-ZRH segment.
If your destination is Europe, you are only allowed to check one bag (even if your first flight is domestic).

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...e/checked.html

Whoever told you it was an interline baggage thing was smoking something. The fact that you even checked a bag through meant that there was an interline baggage agreement in place. There was also an interline ticket/code-share agreement in place, and an alliance agreement in place since both carriers are *A.
Old Oct 29, 10, 1:04 am

Programs: E35K, TK*S ;Bonvoy PE
Originally Posted by YEG USER View Post
If your destination is Europe, you are only allowed to check one bag (even if your first flight is domestic).

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...e/checked.html

Whoever told you it was an interline baggage thing was smoking something. The fact that you even checked a bag through meant that there was an interline baggage agreement in place. There was also an interline ticket/code-share agreement in place, and an alliance agreement in place since both carriers are *A.
I was thinking that the Swiss Air baggage allowance should apply even if it is a codeshare -- check out their 2 baggage allowance policy:

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services...hecked_baggage

Since my YYZ-YUL segment was coded as a Swiss Air flight, I should have been allowed the two bags directly from Toronto??

Search this Thread