Compensation - IFE not working

Old Oct 24, 10, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
Compensation - IFE not working

Flew PEK - YYZ recently. We were seated in the starboard side pods. Right from the get go though, IFE was having the typical problems. The FAs had to resort to doing the old-style safety demo because they couldn't show the video.

I've stopped bothering with IFE. My iPod and my books provide everything I need. A couple of seats in front of me though, Mom decided to politely take things up with the SD. After a few reboots most of IFE worked, but the map did not. Mom persisted with the SD - she wanted to keep track of where we were. The SD tried valiantly, but no dice. IFE map just wouldn't come through.

So about 2h into the flight, the SD visits Mom with the captain in tow. The captain apologized about the map not working, and presented Mom with an official AC Polar Orientation Chart (3rd Edition) which had our course plotted in blue highlighter and various names of cities along the way hand written by the captain.

There was one further hand written notation on the map:

AC 032 / 21 Oct 2010
Beijing - Toronto
Last flight Capt D.A. Main
Hope it was enjoyable!

Now how's that for compensation?
Old Oct 24, 10, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

P.S. My thanks to the crew of AC032 for a good flight, and very special thanks to Capt. (Ret.) Main for making this flight especially memorable!
Old Oct 24, 10, 6:55 pm

Programs: AP, CX Gold, HHonours Gold, SPG Gold, KL/AF Gold
Thumbs up

So that's where you've been! Was wondering about the low profile recently. That's an amazing story!
Old Oct 24, 10, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
This map seems to be a common problem. I had this problem on a NRT-YYZ flight.
For this (plus some other minor concerns) they gave me a fully transferable $150 credit.
Old Oct 24, 10, 8:18 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC Tangerine
I would take the map over the credit any day!
Old Oct 24, 10, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC
+1 That is pretty awesome. I'd love a map like that. I had the same problem on a PVG-YYZ flight a little while back, map worked for the first 30 minutes or so then conked out and wouldn't come back.
Old Oct 24, 10, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Nice touch! Something I would consider to be priceless. Thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 24, 10, 9:01 pm

Programs: *G
I had a similar experience, also YYZ-NRT. No map, so I asked the FA if it would be possible to find out our route. She came back with the Captain's written notes that he prepared for his detailed departure announcement.
Old Oct 24, 10, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC E
I would love that over the 5% code I got for two consecutive flights of nonfunctioning IFE!

I assume that your mom remained polite and understanding about the situation; I think a paper flight map is a pretty unique trip souvenir, and I suspect (and hope) that it wouldn't have been given to a "this is unacceptable!"-type complainer.

Last edited by klparrot; Oct 25, 10 at 9:59 am Reason: noticed it was op's mother, not just _a_ mother, whoops
Old Oct 24, 10, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
Now how's that for compensation?
Excellent!
Old Oct 24, 10, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Thumbs up Great Job well done.

Wow well done AC and Cpt. Main.
Old Oct 24, 10, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Flew YYZ-PVG early Oct. Map not working, seat had issues as well. Locked while trying to recline into sleep mode. FA reset it. SD brought me a green form and asked if I preferred Aeroplan Points or compensation. I though that was pretty cool. Though I really did miss the map. Thought the cabin crew was first rate.

Last edited by yul36; Oct 25, 10 at 1:08 am
Old Oct 24, 10, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
You'll have to bring the map along to the SMD2 so we can all look at it. Would be interesting to see the exact flight course up and over the pole. (Do we fly over Wassilla, AK?) Had the same problem with my IFE and lights which were very temperamental on my YYZ-HKG flight last week and needed rebooting a couple of times before they worked properly. Wasn't 8D by any chance your mother was in?
Old Oct 24, 10, 11:08 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
You'll have to bring the map along to the SMD2 so we can all look at it. Would be interesting to see the exact flight course up and over the pole. (Do we fly over Wassilla, AK?) Had the same problem with my IFE and lights which were very temperamental on my YYZ-HKG flight last week and needed rebooting a couple of times before they worked properly. Wasn't 8D by any chance your mother was in?
On my last flight from PVG-YYZ we never actually made it anywhere near the pole - ended up across the ocean and went straight across NA starting somewhere just south of Seattle, WA.
Old Oct 25, 10, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
You'll have to bring the map along to the SMD2 so we can all look at it. ... Wasn't 8D by any chance your mother was in?
Will do! (See folks - just another advantage to coming on the MegaDo. )

We were in the K seats actually. My seat had non-functioniong IFE, a screen that wouldn't stow properly (I guess the latch was busted) and a seatbelt that was installed upside down. But hey, thanks to Mom's polite persistence and the generosity of Captain Main we got a nifty map so I guess it's all OK.

Search this Thread