Cell phone usage on the ground

Old Oct 18, 10, 9:59 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Exclamation Cell phone usage on the ground

I am sure this is a very welcomed change for all of you!

Effective today (Oct 18), customers onboard all Air Canada and Jazz operated flights will be permitted to use their handheld electronic devices, such as cellular phones, blackberries and smart phones during the taxi-in to the gate after the aircraft has turned off the active runway. The handheld electronic devices must be retrieved prior to landing as all carry on bags must be stowed until the seat belt sign is turned off at the gate. Flight attendants will advise customers when mobile phones can be used after arrival.
Old Oct 18, 10, 10:04 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I guess most pax had already implemented this change long before it was announced!

On my 30 flights with AC this year I donīt think there was a single flight where pax didnīt start switching on their cell phones right after touch down.

Anyhow, this policy change is of course welcome!
Old Oct 18, 10, 10:10 am

Programs: FT
Jasper2009....i agree...i have always just turned it on...was OK to do on CX and it is about time you can do it on AC.
Old Oct 18, 10, 10:20 am

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Great move.
--
13F
Old Oct 18, 10, 10:47 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr View Post
Jasper2009....i agree...i have always just turned it on...was OK to do on CX and it is about time you can do it on AC.
It's a long process that we have to go through to get this in place. Extensive testings on each aircraft type and then results have to be submitted to Transport Canada for approval and once approved, a lot of items have to be revised as well in regards to operating procedures.
Old Oct 18, 10, 10:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
It's great to be able to do this without breaking the official rules! Thanks for the good news, Andrew!
Old Oct 18, 10, 11:01 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu View Post
It's a long process that we have to go through to get this in place. Extensive testings on each aircraft type and then results have to be submitted to Transport Canada for approval and once approved, a lot of items have to be revised as well in regards to operating procedures.
Thanks for clarifying that, since there seems to be an attitude that "I know better and that because I can do it on CX etc., I can do it on AC too". No matter that the airline and sometimes the staff personally end up being held responsible for not enforcing the TC accepted operating procedures.

Once when I flew out of Quito, I could not take photos at the airport (why not - I can here) and Avianca did not seem to have any problem with hand baggage left on seats - so should I assume it's OK everywhere?
Old Oct 18, 10, 11:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Glad to hear of the change. With regards to the announcement, something like this would be appreciated:

"...you may now use your mobile devices, but as a courtesy to those around you, we request that you not make phone calls until you in are inside the terminal"
Old Oct 18, 10, 11:37 am

Programs: AC E
Interesting, because I've noticed UA move in the opposite direction recently. Used to be they would always tell you you could use mobile phones after touchdown, but on my last couple flights back to Canada with them they've started saying that Canadian law prohibits it.
Old Oct 18, 10, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by klparrot View Post
Interesting, because I've noticed UA move in the opposite direction recently. Used to be they would always tell you you could use mobile phones after touchdown, but on my last couple flights back to Canada with them they've started saying that Canadian law prohibits it.
Could it be that UA hasn't got the Transport Canada certification that Andrew refers to?
Old Oct 18, 10, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult View Post
glad to hear of the change. With regards to the announcement, something like this would be appreciated:

"...you may now use your mobile devices, but as a courtesy to those around you, we request that you not make phone calls until you in are inside the terminal"
Why would you make a PA like that? This never gets old:

"HELLO? HELLO? YES, WE JUST LANDED IN TORONTO. I'M STILL IN THE AIRPLANE. WHAT? YES, I'M STILL IN THE AIRPLANE"

Last edited by JungleJet; Oct 18, 10 at 12:57 pm
Old Oct 18, 10, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by rehoult View Post
Glad to hear of the change. With regards to the announcement, something like this would be appreciated:

don't we wish!
Old Oct 18, 10, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu View Post
Extensive testings on each aircraft type and then results have to be submitted to Transport Canada for approval and once approved, a lot of items have to be revised as well in regards to operating procedures.
job creation at Transport Canada... they could have just used the data from any other country and saved the taxpayer money
Old Oct 18, 10, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post
Thanks for clarifying that, since there seems to be an attitude that "I know better and that because I can do it on CX etc., I can do it on AC too". No matter that the airline and sometimes the staff personally end up being held responsible for not enforcing the TC accepted operating procedures.

Once when I flew out of Quito, I could not take photos at the airport (why not - I can here) and Avianca did not seem to have any problem with hand baggage left on seats - so should I assume it's OK everywhere?
sure its OK read this thread seems its OK in the USA also

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...1a-straps.html
Old Oct 18, 10, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE
So hence the release the loud yammering VIB (Very Important Business person or is it VIDB?) on touchdown? Heaven forbid if there is any delay on taxiing to the gate. I totally agree with @rehoult that calls should be encouraged to be made inside the terminal and encourage folks to stick with texting while on the plane.

Search this Thread