FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Cell phone usage on the ground (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1137829-cell-phone-usage-ground.html)

Andrew Yiu Oct 18, 2010 8:59 am

Cell phone usage on the ground

I am sure this is a very welcomed change for all of you! :)

Effective today (Oct 18), customers onboard all Air Canada and Jazz operated flights will be permitted to use their handheld electronic devices, such as cellular phones, blackberries and smart phones during the taxi-in to the gate after the aircraft has turned off the active runway. The handheld electronic devices must be retrieved prior to landing as all carry on bags must be stowed until the seat belt sign is turned off at the gate. Flight attendants will advise customers when mobile phones can be used after arrival.

Jasper2009 Oct 18, 2010 9:04 am

I guess most pax had already implemented this change long before it was announced! ;)

On my 30 flights with AC this year I donīt think there was a single flight where pax didnīt start switching on their cell phones right after touch down.

Anyhow, this policy change is of course welcome! ^

mkjr Oct 18, 2010 9:10 am

Jasper2009....i agree...i have always just turned it on...was OK to do on CX and it is about time you can do it on AC.

Seat13F_AC_CRJ Oct 18, 2010 9:20 am

Great move. ^
--
13F

Andrew Yiu Oct 18, 2010 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mkjr (Post 14965791)
Jasper2009....i agree...i have always just turned it on...was OK to do on CX and it is about time you can do it on AC.

It's a long process that we have to go through to get this in place. Extensive testings on each aircraft type and then results have to be submitted to Transport Canada for approval and once approved, a lot of items have to be revised as well in regards to operating procedures.

tomh009 Oct 18, 2010 9:48 am

It's great to be able to do this without breaking the official rules! Thanks for the good news, Andrew!

fin 645 Oct 18, 2010 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu (Post 14965988)
It's a long process that we have to go through to get this in place. Extensive testings on each aircraft type and then results have to be submitted to Transport Canada for approval and once approved, a lot of items have to be revised as well in regards to operating procedures.

Thanks for clarifying that, since there seems to be an attitude that "I know better and that because I can do it on CX etc., I can do it on AC too". No matter that the airline and sometimes the staff personally end up being held responsible for not enforcing the TC accepted operating procedures.

Once when I flew out of Quito, I could not take photos at the airport (why not - I can here) and Avianca did not seem to have any problem with hand baggage left on seats - so should I assume it's OK everywhere?

rehoult Oct 18, 2010 10:05 am

Glad to hear of the change. With regards to the announcement, something like this would be appreciated:

"...you may now use your mobile devices, but as a courtesy to those around you, we request that you not make phone calls until you in are inside the terminal"

klparrot Oct 18, 2010 10:37 am

Interesting, because I've noticed UA move in the opposite direction recently. Used to be they would always tell you you could use mobile phones after touchdown, but on my last couple flights back to Canada with them they've started saying that Canadian law prohibits it.

tomh009 Oct 18, 2010 11:29 am

Originally Posted by klparrot (Post 14966287)
Interesting, because I've noticed UA move in the opposite direction recently. Used to be they would always tell you you could use mobile phones after touchdown, but on my last couple flights back to Canada with them they've started saying that Canadian law prohibits it.

Could it be that UA hasn't got the Transport Canada certification that Andrew refers to?

JungleJet Oct 18, 2010 11:49 am

Originally Posted by rehoult (Post 14966088)
glad to hear of the change. With regards to the announcement, something like this would be appreciated:

"...you may now use your mobile devices, but as a courtesy to those around you, we request that you not make phone calls until you in are inside the terminal"

Why would you make a PA like that? This never gets old:

"HELLO? HELLO? YES, WE JUST LANDED IN TORONTO. I'M STILL IN THE AIRPLANE. WHAT? YES, I'M STILL IN THE AIRPLANE"

http://imgur.com/trreM.jpg

why fly Oct 18, 2010 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult (Post 14966088)
Glad to hear of the change. With regards to the announcement, something like this would be appreciated:

don't we wish!

why fly Oct 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Extensive testings on each aircraft type and then results have to be submitted to Transport Canada for approval and once approved, a lot of items have to be revised as well in regards to operating procedures.

job creation at Transport Canada... they could have just used the data from any other country and saved the taxpayer money
:mad:

why fly Oct 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by fin 645 (Post 14966068)
Thanks for clarifying that, since there seems to be an attitude that "I know better and that because I can do it on CX etc., I can do it on AC too". No matter that the airline and sometimes the staff personally end up being held responsible for not enforcing the TC accepted operating procedures.

Once when I flew out of Quito, I could not take photos at the airport (why not - I can here) and Avianca did not seem to have any problem with hand baggage left on seats - so should I assume it's OK everywhere?

sure its OK read this thread :) seems its OK in the USA also

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...1a-straps.html

yodayoda Oct 18, 2010 12:51 pm

So hence the release the loud yammering VIB (Very Important Business person or is it VIDB?) on touchdown? Heaven forbid if there is any delay on taxiing to the gate. I totally agree with @rehoult that calls should be encouraged to be made inside the terminal and encourage folks to stick with texting while on the plane.

mkjr Oct 18, 2010 1:04 pm

...i know it must be a lot of red tape....

SYM Oct 18, 2010 1:12 pm

2 for 2 today: "...Mobile phones may not be used - oh, sorry, mobile phones may now be used...";)

JimYUL Oct 18, 2010 1:28 pm

Great news Andrew! Thanks for the update.

emcampbe Oct 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by klparrot (Post 14966287)

I've never heard that on any UA/UAX flight to Canada, which is always YYZ for me. Sometimes they make the regular announcement about being allowed to use phones, sometimes, they just haven't said anything (but people turn on their phones, anyway), but never heard specifically not to do it.

CdnFlier Oct 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu (Post 14965723)
I am sure this is a very welcomed change for all of you! :)

Effective today (Oct 18), customers onboard all Air Canada and Jazz operated flights will be permitted to use their handheld electronic devices, such as cellular phones, blackberries and smart phones during the taxi-in to the gate after the aircraft has turned off the active runway. The handheld electronic devices must be retrieved prior to landing as all carry on bags must be stowed until the seat belt sign is turned off at the gate. Flight attendants will advise customers when mobile phones can be used after arrival.

Thanks for this change, it's nice to know I can at least check my Blackberry without getting in trouble.

Double thanks for taking care of both AC and Jazz flights! This avoids a lot of the confusion when things happen separately (like the IFE usage while at the gate).

royalflight Oct 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Perhaps this has been addressed a long time ago, but why were the in-flight phones provided by the airlines discontinued? I remember at least in AC's old first-class section that a phone was provided by inserting your credit card into a box on the bulkhead, which would release the phone and keeping your credit card hostage until you returned the phone to the box.

Does any airline provide an in-flight phone service any more? I do recall that the calls were very expensive, was that the reason they were removed, or was it some sort of security issue?

ACYYZ/SD Oct 18, 2010 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by royalflight (Post 14968933)
Perhaps this has been addressed a long time ago, but why were the in-flight phones provided by the airlines discontinued? I remember at least in AC's old first-class section that a phone was provided by inserting your credit card into a box on the bulkhead, which would release the phone and keeping your credit card hostage until you returned the phone to the box.

Does any airline provide an in-flight phone service any more? I do recall that the calls were very expensive, was that the reason they were removed, or was it some sort of security issue?

Airfone usage absolutely plummeted towards the end and more than likely the service providers no longer provided the service due to lack of use and profitability.

cam_macleod Oct 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by why fly (Post 14966846)
job creation at Transport Canada... they could have just used the data from any other country and saved the taxpayer money
:mad:

Strictly speaking, no they couldn't. Every airline's planes have different electronics and customizations, and every country has different cell towers, strengths, and frequencies. Yes, there are a limited number of combinations, but still a bunch of original work would be required to satisfy the law.

Mauricio23 Oct 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by cam_macleod (Post 14969040)
Strictly speaking, no they couldn't. Every airline's planes have different electronics and customizations, and every country has different cell towers, strengths, and frequencies.

And most likely all cellphones are completely harmless in all types of aircraft in every runway in the world. But pen-pushers need to earn their salaries...

Stranger Oct 18, 2010 6:37 pm

Now if we could get these arrogant FF types to stop starting using their cell phone while on approach....

:D

CD_YOW Oct 18, 2010 7:20 pm

For some additional background information (for those interested), an exemption from the regulatory limitations in Canada was first made available in November 2007. Information related to the procedures for testing was published in an advisory circular in 2008 and is based on the RTCA DO-294B document.

pkeung Oct 18, 2010 8:12 pm

A few months ago I was flying and right after the FA gives the standard "welcome to YVR........ cellphones remain off..." she walks by a passenger who asks her about a connecting flight and she doesn't have the info but she pulls out her iPhone with a new AC app on it, guess the rules never applied to FA's!

tomh009 Oct 18, 2010 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by pkeung (Post 14969774)
A few months ago I was flying and right after the FA gives the standard "welcome to YVR........ cellphones remain off..." she walks by a passenger who asks her about a connecting flight and she doesn't have the info but she pulls out her iPhone with a new AC app on it, guess the rules never applied to FA's!

Well, if she wasn't holding her iPhone 4 just right, there would have been no signal, so no risk! :D :D :D

Ken hAAmer Oct 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 14968986)
Airfone usage absolutely plummeted towards the end and more than likely the service providers no longer provided the service due to lack of use and profitability.

I'm guessing the USD $5/minute and USD $10/minute airtime charges, and the fact that they only worked poorly even at the best of times was a significant factor.

2MM_Guy Oct 18, 2010 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by JungleJet (Post 14966742)
Why would you make a PA like that? This never gets old:

"HELLO? HELLO? YES, WE JUST LANDED IN TORONTO. I'M STILL IN THE AIRPLANE. WHAT? YES, I'M STILL IN THE AIRPLANE"

LOL!!!!!!

tcook052 Oct 18, 2010 11:03 pm

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/101018.html?src=hp_wn

Effective October 18, 2010, customers on board all Air Canada and Jazz operated flights will be permitted to use their handheld electronic devices, such as cellular phones, Blackberries and smart phones during the taxi-in to the gate after the aircraft has turned off the active runway.

The handheld electronic devices must be retrieved prior to landing as all carry on bags must be stowed until the seat belt sign is turned off at the gate. Flight attendants will advise customers when mobile phones can be used after arrival.

Sopwith Oct 18, 2010 11:28 pm

I wondered what was going on when I landed in YYC this morning.

Good stuff ^

yyznomad Oct 19, 2010 2:54 am

Coming back from the FT CHI DO after touching down at YYZ the FA made the usual announcements, but never mentioned the usual turning on of handheld devices once the seatbelt sign is off - so I took the non-announcement as an ok to do so :) but now I know the reason why no remark was made.

mtacchi Oct 19, 2010 3:40 am

"Effective 18 Oct"

Before then you'll bring down the airplane should you use it. After that arbitrary date, it's ok, you're safe.:-:

Mindless, Useless Canadian bureaucracy

ACYYZ/SD Oct 19, 2010 5:50 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 14971126)
Coming back from the FT CHI DO after touching down at YYZ the FA made the usual announcements, but never mentioned the usual turning on of handheld devices once the seatbelt sign is off - so I took the non-announcement as an ok to do so :) but now I know the reason why no remark was made.

It caught us all by surpise. The updated transmittal just went out. Bear in mind it takes at least a couple of days to get a transient work force of thousands onto the same page.

yyznomad Oct 19, 2010 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 14971587)
It caught us all by surpise. The updated transmittal just went out. Bear in mind it takes at least a couple of days to get a transient work force of thousands onto the same page.

It wasn't a complaint - just an observation on my part. I understand that not everything will run perfectly the first day a new rule takes into effect.

igloocoder Oct 19, 2010 10:07 am

Oddly I had the announcement made when landing in FRA on the morning of the 17th. Caught me totally by surprise too.

InTheAirGuy Oct 19, 2010 10:36 am

My FA announced yesterday on a flight from the US....

threepoint Oct 19, 2010 10:55 am

Makes no sense when amending a company's SOPs to send out an internal memo a few days in advance so that everybody's ready when the new procedure takes effect. May as well promote variance, confusion and unnecessary hassle I always say...

HR_Traveler Oct 19, 2010 11:34 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 14968986)

I can't speak for Canadian service providers but Asiana has outfitted their new (they are deploying it now) Business Class with in-seat phones. Flip over your AVOD remote and it's a phone complete with credit card slot in the side. It would seem that the lack of offerings from NA based carriers is a carrier based business decision and not because service providers are unavailable.