Cell phone usage on the ground

Old Oct 20, 10, 9:41 am

On a flight last week, we hit some major turbulence, but luckily through carefully using my wireless mouse I was able to resolve the problem for the Captain.
Old Oct 20, 10, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
I was surpsied when I heard the announcement on my overseas AC flight on Oct 15 that said it was OK to use cell phones and other mobile devices as we taxied to the gate - maybe the memo did go out early.

Came here to find out this was a new policy.
Old Oct 20, 10, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
it was OK to use cell phones and other mobile devices as we taxied to the gate
It may be permissible to use a cell phone, but not necessarily socially acceptable. By all means text, email or check messages, but folks, don't subject us to your oh-so-important elevated-volume calls until we have a chance to separate ourselves from you.
Old Oct 20, 10, 11:51 pm

Programs: Earned: AC SE, AA PLT - Comped: DL PLT, Avis PC, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by threepoint View Post
It may be permissible to use a cell phone, but not necessarily socially acceptable. By all means text, email or check messages, but folks, don't subject us to your oh-so-important elevated-volume calls until we have a chance to separate ourselves from you.
meh..somehow I end up within a couple of rows of the oh-so-important-elevated-volume-and-generally-misinformed-but-authoritative J pax talking to his/her seatmate for 4 hours..sometimes it would be a nice change of pace to here another voice..but I digress..

It's not so much the elevated volume that probably bothers you:

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early...82126.abstract
Old Oct 22, 10, 9:12 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
AC 34 landing in YYZ on Oct 21.

FA that still did not get the memo: "The use of cell phones and electronic devices is not permitted until the seat belt signed has been turned off"

Clearly every single person around me was a up to date of the new policy, as they promptly whipped out their phones and started yapping/checking email as soon as the wheels touched the ground.
Old Oct 23, 10, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Mauricio23 View Post
AC 34 landing in YYZ on Oct 21.

FA that still did not get the memo: "The use of cell phones and electronic devices is not permitted until the seat belt signed has been turned off"

Clearly every single person around me was a up to date of the new policy, as they promptly whipped out their phones and started yapping/checking email as soon as the wheels touched the ground.
Did they change over the movies yet on 34

Have to take it on Wed and the selection down was terrible!
Old Oct 23, 10, 5:51 pm

Flew yesterday to Toronto. No mention of the new policy just that we were not allowed to use phones till we got to the terminal. One other things that was puzzling is usually they have the whole thing with you are only allowed to use ear bud type headseats attatched to the IFE on decent and landing. They didn't do that on this flight.....there was a guy who had bose heasets covering his whole ear and the FA didn't say anything to him. He wore them all the way to the gate.
Old Oct 23, 10, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn View Post
Flew yesterday to Toronto. No mention of the new policy just that we were not allowed to use phones till we got to the terminal. One other things that was puzzling is usually they have the whole thing with you are only allowed to use ear bud type headseats attatched to the IFE on decent and landing. They didn't do that on this flight.....there was a guy who had bose heasets covering his whole ear and the FA didn't say anything to him. He wore them all the way to the gate.
I think they do try but its a loosing battle. Even before the cell phone policy we all (well most) used our phones. I remember a couple of years ago flying from London (Ontario) to Toronto and the two of us were on our blackberries all the way there! It's nice that its now legal!
Old Oct 23, 10, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
I think they do try but its a loosing battle. Even before the cell phone policy we all (well most) used our phones. I remember a couple of years ago flying from London (Ontario) to Toronto and the two of us were on our blackberries all the way there! It's nice that its now legal!
Still not legal and still disrespectful of other people who follow the rules.

Go back to Andrew's article. It is *only* after landing that cell phones are now permitted.
Old Oct 23, 10, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Still not legal and still disrespectful of other people who follow the rules.

Go back to Andrew's article. It is *only* after landing that cell phones are now permitted.
discrete use of BB bothers nobody! Chatting on the phone that's another issue.

Text away! I have been for years till the plane takes off.
Old Oct 24, 10, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly View Post
discrete use of BB bothers nobody!
Assuming you are arrogant enough and you know better than the technical guys whether there might be a flight safety issue.

Bottom line remain that rules are the cornerstone of flight safety. Arrogant FF types who know better than the rules ought to be banned.
Old Oct 24, 10, 1:36 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Assuming you are arrogant enough and you know better than the technical guys whether there might be a flight safety issue.

Bottom line remain that rules are the cornerstone of flight safety. Arrogant FF types who know better than the rules ought to be banned.
Mountain meet molehill.

Somehow, if this were in fact a safety issue then there would not be US networks trying to get repeaters on the plane plus strict rules on cell phones at all.

Would you also assume if i bring a bottle of water from before security than I am more arrogant than CASTA as this water can jeopardize flight safety?
Old Oct 24, 10, 8:25 am

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
Mountain meet molehill.

Somehow, if this were in fact a safety issue then there would not be US networks trying to get repeaters on the plane plus strict rules on cell phones at all.

Would you also assume if i bring a bottle of water from before security than I am more arrogant than CASTA as this water can jeopardize flight safety?
Using your logic, I guess that you also stand as soon as the plane lands as well. After all, people stand in a moving subway all the time!
Old Oct 24, 10, 9:53 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Well I can see the thread getting nasty and I hate controversy; all am going to say is that rules and laws change for one reason and one reason only….they were wrong as first stated! I know those rules and laws were set based on the very best information known at the time and its unfair to use today’s knowledge to judge past acts.

I always laughed when we were not allowed using a cell phone on the plane but when I look out the window, six feet or so away in the honey wagon, baggage cart or catering truck; someone was on their cell phone. So how was that any different than us on the plane? Don’t even get started with the airport terminals that surround the planes, people on cell phones beside, behind and in front of the plane?

I can’t say that I have ever been on a plane that people were not on their mobile devices on approach, after take off or right after touch down. It happens, it’s a fact. How many people say anything to you? I have been asked three times by fellow passengers about the potential safety issues of me using my PDA. One I had detained when we landed in YVR and the other two I assured them I knew more of what was happening then they did.

So prior to the Oct 18th checking your e-mail could potentially kill everyone on board and cause unknown Chaos. After Oct 18th its all good! Wow it’s like speed signs, one day you’re arrogant, unsafe, careless and a danger when doing 110 KM/H in a 100 KM/H zone. One day the highway department changes the sign to 110 KM/H …..Now you are OK? Funny!
Old Oct 24, 10, 11:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
What are the rules for using cell/mobile phones in terms of the departing aircraft leaving the gate. Must you turn it off, as the flight attendant requests, just before the plane leaves the gate - or is it allowed to use the phone until just before the aircraft arrives at the runway, used for take-off? Are the rules in Canada now match for those in USA, in terms of cell phone regulations for departing aircraft?

Search this Thread