Cell phone usage on the ground

Old Oct 18, 10, 2:04 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Left
Programs: FT
Posts: 7,285
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu View Post
It's a long process that we have to go through to get this in place. Extensive testings on each aircraft type and then results have to be submitted to Transport Canada for approval and once approved, a lot of items have to be revised as well in regards to operating procedures.
...i know it must be a lot of red tape....
mkjr is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 2:12 pm
  #17  
SYM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YXU/BOS
Programs: AC SEMM
Posts: 903
2 for 2 today: "...Mobile phones may not be used - oh, sorry, mobile phones may now be used..."
SYM is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 2:28 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YUL
Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Delta Gold
Posts: 431
Great news Andrew! Thanks for the update.
JimYUL is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 2:51 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG
Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Posts: 11,680
Originally Posted by klparrot View Post
Interesting, because I've noticed UA move in the opposite direction recently. Used to be they would always tell you you could use mobile phones after touchdown, but on my last couple flights back to Canada with them they've started saying that Canadian law prohibits it.
I've never heard that on any UA/UAX flight to Canada, which is always YYZ for me. Sometimes they make the regular announcement about being allowed to use phones, sometimes, they just haven't said anything (but people turn on their phones, anyway), but never heard specifically not to do it.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 3:59 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Programs: AC
Posts: 1,594
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu View Post
I am sure this is a very welcomed change for all of you!

Effective today (Oct 18), customers onboard all Air Canada and Jazz operated flights will be permitted to use their handheld electronic devices, such as cellular phones, blackberries and smart phones during the taxi-in to the gate after the aircraft has turned off the active runway. The handheld electronic devices must be retrieved prior to landing as all carry on bags must be stowed until the seat belt sign is turned off at the gate. Flight attendants will advise customers when mobile phones can be used after arrival.
Thanks for this change, it's nice to know I can at least check my Blackberry without getting in trouble.

Double thanks for taking care of both AC and Jazz flights! This avoids a lot of the confusion when things happen separately (like the IFE usage while at the gate).
CdnFlier is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 6:39 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 124
Perhaps this has been addressed a long time ago, but why were the in-flight phones provided by the airlines discontinued? I remember at least in AC's old first-class section that a phone was provided by inserting your credit card into a box on the bulkhead, which would release the phone and keeping your credit card hostage until you returned the phone to the box.

Does any airline provide an in-flight phone service any more? I do recall that the calls were very expensive, was that the reason they were removed, or was it some sort of security issue?
royalflight is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 6:48 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto - YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Posts: 5,442
Originally Posted by royalflight View Post
Perhaps this has been addressed a long time ago, but why were the in-flight phones provided by the airlines discontinued? I remember at least in AC's old first-class section that a phone was provided by inserting your credit card into a box on the bulkhead, which would release the phone and keeping your credit card hostage until you returned the phone to the box.

Does any airline provide an in-flight phone service any more? I do recall that the calls were very expensive, was that the reason they were removed, or was it some sort of security issue?
Airfone usage absolutely plummeted towards the end and more than likely the service providers no longer provided the service due to lack of use and profitability.
ACYYZ/SD is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 6:59 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: c_9 (new FlyerTalk name)
Posts: 694
Originally Posted by why fly View Post
job creation at Transport Canada... they could have just used the data from any other country and saved the taxpayer money
Strictly speaking, no they couldn't. Every airline's planes have different electronics and customizations, and every country has different cell towers, strengths, and frequencies. Yes, there are a limited number of combinations, but still a bunch of original work would be required to satisfy the law.
cam_macleod is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 7:11 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Posts: 1,721
Originally Posted by cam_macleod View Post
Strictly speaking, no they couldn't. Every airline's planes have different electronics and customizations, and every country has different cell towers, strengths, and frequencies.
And most likely all cellphones are completely harmless in all types of aircraft in every runway in the world. But pen-pushers need to earn their salaries...
Mauricio23 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 7:37 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,696
Now if we could get these arrogant FF types to stop starting using their cell phone while on approach....

Stranger is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 8:20 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 270
For some additional background information (for those interested), an exemption from the regulatory limitations in Canada was first made available in November 2007. Information related to the procedures for testing was published in an advisory circular in 2008 and is based on the RTCA DO-294B document.
CD_YOW is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 9:12 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YVR
Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Gold (reluctantly), SPG Gold, IHG PC Platinum, BW Platinum (even more reluctantly)
Posts: 501
A few months ago I was flying and right after the FA gives the standard "welcome to YVR........ cellphones remain off..." she walks by a passenger who asks her about a connecting flight and she doesn't have the info but she pulls out her iPhone with a new AC app on it, guess the rules never applied to FA's!
pkeung is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 9:21 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Posts: 2,454
Originally Posted by pkeung View Post
A few months ago I was flying and right after the FA gives the standard "welcome to YVR........ cellphones remain off..." she walks by a passenger who asks her about a connecting flight and she doesn't have the info but she pulls out her iPhone with a new AC app on it, guess the rules never applied to FA's!
Well, if she wasn't holding her iPhone 4 just right, there would have been no signal, so no risk!
tomh009 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 9:28 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: YVR
Posts: 9,999
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
Airfone usage absolutely plummeted towards the end and more than likely the service providers no longer provided the service due to lack of use and profitability.
I'm guessing the USD $5/minute and USD $10/minute airtime charges, and the fact that they only worked poorly even at the best of times was a significant factor.
Ken hAAmer is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 11:47 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Earth
Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 1,469
Originally Posted by JungleJet View Post
Why would you make a PA like that? This never gets old:

"HELLO? HELLO? YES, WE JUST LANDED IN TORONTO. I'M STILL IN THE AIRPLANE. WHAT? YES, I'M STILL IN THE AIRPLANE"
LOL!!!!!!
2MM_Guy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread