FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Cannot ask for upgrade while on stopover? Cannot pay for a higher fare? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1137078-cannot-ask-upgrade-while-stopover-cannot-pay-higher-fare.html)

YUL_Around_The_World Oct 15, 2010 3:36 pm

Cannot ask for upgrade while on stopover? Cannot pay for a higher fare?

I'm currently in a 48 hours stopover in Europe ... I just learned that you can't ask for an upgrade for the next flight (from Frankfurt) even in 2 days because I already used part of the ticket ...

This was not what I was told the other day, they told me to call the day before, now it's too late.

Also I'm willing to pay extra for the difference in fare to upgrade but because I'm on a stopover it's not possible?! Can someone confirm ?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

global happy traveller Oct 15, 2010 3:43 pm

never heard of that one before......

i did a YYZ-YVR-HKG-YVR-YYZ...... and on the return portion HKG-YVR-YYZ mrs. ght and i both paid the fare difference between T+ to Latitude at HKG airport during departure so we could burn our SWUs.

Stranger Oct 15, 2010 5:11 pm

Makes no sense whatsoever.

It's a leg, and with its own coupon.

Sure can.

YUL_Around_The_World Oct 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Just to be clear ... My flight in was YUL-FCO direct ...

My return flight is FCO-BRU-YUL ...

I made a change to a 48 hours stopover in BRU, i paid the change fee and fare change. Now my return is FCO-BRU-<STOP>-FRA-YUL ...

I'm in BRU now ... Can't upgrade FRA-YUL ... Can't pay extra to upgrade my ticket ... That's what I was told by S/E desk ... :td:

I'llMissCP Oct 15, 2010 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World (Post 14954194)
Just to be clear ... My flight in was YUL-FCO direct ...

My return flight is FCO-BRU-YUL ...

I made a change to a 48 hours stopover in BRU, i paid the change fee and fare change. Now my return is FCO-BRU-<STOP>-FRA-YUL ...

I'm in BRU now ... Can't upgrade FRA-YUL ... Can't pay extra to upgrade my ticket ... That's what I was told by S/E desk ... :td:

You probably got screwed when they booked you into an non-upgradable fare on the rebook. I have been in this situation many times on an op irregularity. They automatically rebook into the lowest fare bucket, such that I don't even get status, let alone the opportunity to upgrade.

YUL_Around_The_World Oct 16, 2010 2:00 am

Originally Posted by I'llMissCP (Post 14954225)
You probably got screwed when they booked you into an non-upgradable fare on the rebook. I have been in this situation many times on an op irregularity. They automatically rebook into the lowest fare bucket, such that I don't even get status, let alone the opportunity to upgrade.

When I bought the ticket in Sept. the class was "V", I just checked and they rebooked me in another "V" ... I want to pay extra to get from "V" to "M" which they always allow ... She said that they allow it but they can't do it because I left FCO already ... And I'm, so to speak "mid-flight" ...

So even if I wanted to use a SSWU coupon FRA-YUL tomorrow, apparently they would not allow it.

Stranger Oct 16, 2010 8:28 am

Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World (Post 14955362)
When I bought the ticket in Sept. the class was "V", I just checked and they rebooked me in another "V" ... I want to pay extra to get from "V" to "M" which they always allow ... She said that they allow it but they can't do it because I left FCO already ... And I'm, so to speak "mid-flight" ...

So even if I wanted to use a SSWU coupon FRA-YUL tomorrow, apparently they would not allow it.

Sounds like they cannot change the return ticket from V to M.

But surely they can process an upgrade using an SSWU.

Ace Cdn Oct 16, 2010 9:04 am

on a ticket there is always a place where the ticket price is broken up which is usually the point of turnaround. So if you ticket was say 1000.00 dollars it would show yul-fco 500.00 and the return would show fco-bru-yul as 500.00 dollars. So what I am guessing they did is they upgraded your ticket to a fare that allows for a stopover. Because you have started the return portion of your jouney fco-bru they can't reasses the fare as it is calculated as fco-yul.
Without seeing the ticket this is just a theory.

Now why they won't let you upgrade I have no idea.

Tax Dude Oct 16, 2010 9:14 am

I agree with the above posters - you're out-of-luck for changing your ticket mid-stream, but you should be able to use an SSWU if you've got one. Try selecting "upgrade" if it's there during OLCI (if it's available in FRA), failing that show your SSWU when you check in at the airport.

But it sounds like you might be out of SSWUs and wanted to pay to u/g so you could use SWUs? In that case I think you should have upgraded your ticket when you added the stopover.

global happy traveller Oct 16, 2010 9:22 am

i guess its because the price quoted is between origin-destination and they might not know what the value of each segment. if you break it through half way that would mean splitting the ticket into two tickets (or two one way segments) which will incur significantly higher costs

YUL_Around_The_World Oct 16, 2010 10:22 am

Ace and Tax Dude you are both right, I want to use a SWU and pay the difference in fare between my current V-class to M-class.

I understand the details now, I think they should be more flexible and gain another 600-800$ from me. But the system doesn't allow it.

Well row 18 on a 777 from FRA-YUL ain't that bad for this relatively short flight :D

(I keep my SSWU for all my asian flights) :p

Tax Dude Oct 16, 2010 11:34 am

Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World (Post 14956691)
I understand the details now, I think they should be more flexible and gain another 600-800$ from me. But the system doesn't allow it.

And thanks, it's always nice when it's someone else who discovers the painful intricacies of 'the system' and I just have to read about it to gain the experience!