Elite Status

Old Oct 15, 10, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Elite Status

Hi guys,got a couple of question.Sitting on 31k status points for the year and i'm planing a trip from Toronto to Sydney(got a much cheaper fare on expedia using united instead of aircanada).Now will the flight qualify for status miles using expedia for the whole trip(flight details Toronto to Los Angeles(ac)Los Angeles to Sydney(united) same on the return.2nd since i would pass elite status on my departure does aircanada immediately give me elite status which i would be able to use on return(reason i got a 5 hours layover in LA coming back and would like to use the lounge there without paying for it,also would i be able to use upgrade if possible on either the united portion Sydney to LA or the AC portion LA to Toronto).
Old Oct 15, 10, 11:33 am
alc

go to www.united.com and look up your reservation. Then you should be able to find the fare class you are on and check it on the AEROPLAN web site for United to ensure it is the fare that you will get status miles on it. If you haven't book the flight yet, then I think the only idea I had is to call up expedia and last them what fare class will they book you on.
Old Oct 15, 10, 11:39 am

Programs: AC*E50
If your Aeroplan page lists you as Elite by the time you head home, bring a printout to the LAX MLL. There is a very good (but not 100%) chance that this will be sufficient proof. Note that this method is unlikely (close to 0%) to work in a *A lounge, since they need the AE card for cross-billing.

Also, if you are E by the time you fly back, call in to get your Aeroplan number removed and then re-added to your booking. This should ensure that your boarding pass correctly shows you as *G.
Old Oct 15, 10, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC E
You need to hit 35k before October 15 (today) to get Elite status for the rest of 2010. So it sounds like you're out of luck; you'll just get Elite status for 2011.

Your United segments should earn 100% status miles. Your AC segments will earn 100% status miles if they're booked in Tango+ (M,U,H,Q,V,W,S,L,K,T) or better.
Old Oct 15, 10, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klparrot View Post
You need to hit 35k before October 15 (today) to get Elite status for the rest of 2010. So it sounds like you're out of luck; you'll just get Elite status for 2011.

Your United segments should earn 100% status miles. Your AC segments will earn 100% status miles if they're booked in Tango+ (M,U,H,Q,V,W,S,L,K,T) or better.
Ya looks like both are 100% staus miles but i read the other thread and it does seem like im out of luck for early status,my flight going to be in early dec.
Old Oct 15, 10, 10:24 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by shootloose View Post
Ya looks like both are 100% staus miles but i read the other thread and it does seem like im out of luck for early status,my flight going to be in early dec.
Officially its October 15th...but you and I are in the same vote...I'll hit 35,000K on October 29th. Wait and see if you get early status....no one really knows ...
Old Nov 23, 10, 3:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond, AC Elite
Air Canada ELITE qualification - soooo close yet so far away!!

Hey guys - I just flew Toronto to Paris and London back to Toronto as part of a mileage run but I didn't actually check out how many miles that would work out to be prior to leaving. Turns out I hvae 34302 miles for 2010 and need 35K by Dec 31. I considered going to Montreal Dec 11th but I think that only gets me 644 miles max so that gets me to 34946. Fifty four miles short. I called up Aerplon and they told me they dont let you top up by buying extra miles. Anyone had success with this in the past? Does this work or is it a myth?

Will AC give you the remainder as a customer service gesture or tell you to go fish? I mean 54~ points - not a big deal given the business I've given them in the last few years.

Would like to hear what anyone in a similar situation has done and if you have any reccommendations for me.

Thank you!
Old Nov 23, 10, 3:33 pm

Programs: no status
delete, wrong thread
Old Nov 23, 10, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC A50, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Air Miles Gold, JAL Hotels Gold
Originally Posted by newbie13 View Post
Hey guys - I just flew Toronto to Paris and London back to Toronto as part of a mileage run but I didn't actually check out how many miles that would work out to be prior to leaving. Turns out I hvae 34302 miles for 2010 and need 35K by Dec 31. I considered going to Montreal Dec 11th but I think that only gets me 644 miles max so that gets me to 34946. Fifty four miles short. I called up Aerplon and they told me they dont let you top up by buying extra miles. Anyone had success with this in the past? Does this work or is it a myth?

Will AC give you the remainder as a customer service gesture or tell you to go fish? I mean 54~ points - not a big deal given the business I've given them in the last few years.

Would like to hear what anyone in a similar situation has done and if you have any reccommendations for me.

Thank you!
You will get 1000 miles for a round-trip from YYZ to YUL. If you book into T+ you will get the minimum 500 status miles per segment. That will put you over the top.
Old Nov 23, 10, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by jpwhite View Post
You will get 1000 miles for a round-trip from YYZ to YUL. If you book into T+ you will get the minimum 500 status miles per segment. That will put you over the top.
T+ is the fare class? Anything over T? Sorry if I misunderstood.. trying to understand the jargon used so heavily on FT

I will be booking using AVion points so I will do my best to ask for a fare above T if that is what you meant?
Old Nov 23, 10, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by newbie13 View Post
T+ is the fare class? Anything over T? Sorry if I misunderstood.. trying to understand the jargon used so heavily on FT

I will be booking using AVion points so I will do my best to ask for a fare above T if that is what you meant?
T+ is tango plus fares..... which gives you status miles.... Tango fares dont give you status miles.... and for travel under 500 miles you get 500 miles.... round trip, multiply by 2 will get you 1000 miles.... so do a tripper to montreal and your all set for elite in 2011
Old Nov 23, 10, 5:36 pm

Awesome - thanks guys! I just got upgraded both ways between Toronto and Paris and back from London. Those SSWU certs alone are worth all the effort!
Old Nov 23, 10, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
If you are short 1000 miles, YYZ-EWR is well-priced right now at $74 each way plus taxes. (I'm not clear if you still need a MR or not.)

Search this Thread