Elite Status

Old Oct 15, 10, 11:18 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 36
Elite Status

Hi guys,got a couple of question.Sitting on 31k status points for the year and i'm planing a trip from Toronto to Sydney(got a much cheaper fare on expedia using united instead of aircanada).Now will the flight qualify for status miles using expedia for the whole trip(flight details Toronto to Los Angeles(ac)Los Angeles to Sydney(united) same on the return.2nd since i would pass elite status on my departure does aircanada immediately give me elite status which i would be able to use on return(reason i got a 5 hours layover in LA coming back and would like to use the lounge there without paying for it,also would i be able to use upgrade if possible on either the united portion Sydney to LA or the AC portion LA to Toronto).
shootloose is offline  
Old Oct 15, 10, 11:33 am
  #2  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,514
go to www.united.com and look up your reservation. Then you should be able to find the fare class you are on and check it on the AEROPLAN web site for United to ensure it is the fare that you will get status miles on it. If you haven't book the flight yet, then I think the only idea I had is to call up expedia and last them what fare class will they book you on.
alc is offline  
Old Oct 15, 10, 11:39 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Programs: AC*E50
Posts: 586
If your Aeroplan page lists you as Elite by the time you head home, bring a printout to the LAX MLL. There is a very good (but not 100%) chance that this will be sufficient proof. Note that this method is unlikely (close to 0%) to work in a *A lounge, since they need the AE card for cross-billing.

Also, if you are E by the time you fly back, call in to get your Aeroplan number removed and then re-added to your booking. This should ensure that your boarding pass correctly shows you as *G.
FrequentFlyerYYZ is offline  
Old Oct 15, 10, 1:10 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: AC E
Posts: 643
You need to hit 35k before October 15 (today) to get Elite status for the rest of 2010. So it sounds like you're out of luck; you'll just get Elite status for 2011.

Your United segments should earn 100% status miles. Your AC segments will earn 100% status miles if they're booked in Tango+ (M,U,H,Q,V,W,S,L,K,T) or better.
klparrot is offline  
Old Oct 15, 10, 1:53 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by klparrot View Post
You need to hit 35k before October 15 (today) to get Elite status for the rest of 2010. So it sounds like you're out of luck; you'll just get Elite status for 2011.

Your United segments should earn 100% status miles. Your AC segments will earn 100% status miles if they're booked in Tango+ (M,U,H,Q,V,W,S,L,K,T) or better.
Ya looks like both are 100% staus miles but i read the other thread and it does seem like im out of luck for early status,my flight going to be in early dec.
shootloose is offline  
Old Oct 15, 10, 10:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Posts: 1,470
Originally Posted by shootloose View Post
Ya looks like both are 100% staus miles but i read the other thread and it does seem like im out of luck for early status,my flight going to be in early dec.
Officially its October 15th...but you and I are in the same vote...I'll hit 35,000K on October 29th. Wait and see if you get early status....no one really knows ...
morphius909 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 3:21 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond, AC Elite
Posts: 6
Air Canada ELITE qualification - soooo close yet so far away!!

Hey guys - I just flew Toronto to Paris and London back to Toronto as part of a mileage run but I didn't actually check out how many miles that would work out to be prior to leaving. Turns out I hvae 34302 miles for 2010 and need 35K by Dec 31. I considered going to Montreal Dec 11th but I think that only gets me 644 miles max so that gets me to 34946. Fifty four miles short. I called up Aerplon and they told me they dont let you top up by buying extra miles. Anyone had success with this in the past? Does this work or is it a myth?

Will AC give you the remainder as a customer service gesture or tell you to go fish? I mean 54~ points - not a big deal given the business I've given them in the last few years.

Would like to hear what anyone in a similar situation has done and if you have any reccommendations for me.

Thank you!
newbie13 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 3:33 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: YQR
Programs: no status
Posts: 903
delete, wrong thread
Merlin666 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 4:32 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: YUL
Programs: AC A50, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Air Miles Gold, JAL Hotels Gold
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by newbie13 View Post
Hey guys - I just flew Toronto to Paris and London back to Toronto as part of a mileage run but I didn't actually check out how many miles that would work out to be prior to leaving. Turns out I hvae 34302 miles for 2010 and need 35K by Dec 31. I considered going to Montreal Dec 11th but I think that only gets me 644 miles max so that gets me to 34946. Fifty four miles short. I called up Aerplon and they told me they dont let you top up by buying extra miles. Anyone had success with this in the past? Does this work or is it a myth?

Will AC give you the remainder as a customer service gesture or tell you to go fish? I mean 54~ points - not a big deal given the business I've given them in the last few years.

Would like to hear what anyone in a similar situation has done and if you have any reccommendations for me.

Thank you!
You will get 1000 miles for a round-trip from YYZ to YUL. If you book into T+ you will get the minimum 500 status miles per segment. That will put you over the top.
jpwhite is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 4:58 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond, AC Elite
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by jpwhite View Post
You will get 1000 miles for a round-trip from YYZ to YUL. If you book into T+ you will get the minimum 500 status miles per segment. That will put you over the top.
T+ is the fare class? Anything over T? Sorry if I misunderstood.. trying to understand the jargon used so heavily on FT

I will be booking using AVion points so I will do my best to ask for a fare above T if that is what you meant?
newbie13 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 5:28 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,484
Originally Posted by newbie13 View Post
T+ is the fare class? Anything over T? Sorry if I misunderstood.. trying to understand the jargon used so heavily on FT

I will be booking using AVion points so I will do my best to ask for a fare above T if that is what you meant?
T+ is tango plus fares..... which gives you status miles.... Tango fares dont give you status miles.... and for travel under 500 miles you get 500 miles.... round trip, multiply by 2 will get you 1000 miles.... so do a tripper to montreal and your all set for elite in 2011
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 5:36 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond, AC Elite
Posts: 6
Awesome - thanks guys! I just got upgraded both ways between Toronto and Paris and back from London. Those SSWU certs alone are worth all the effort!
newbie13 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 6:50 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto vicinity
Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Posts: 12,319
If you are short 1000 miles, YYZ-EWR is well-priced right now at $74 each way plus taxes. (I'm not clear if you still need a MR or not.)
margarita girl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread