Upgrade for YOW-NRT

Old Oct 8, 10, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Smile Upgrade for YOW-NRT

Greetings fellow travellers

I have just got into Prestige for the 1st time and was hoping to get an upgrade to exec 1st for the long flight from Ottawa to Narita. They have given me 4 SWU blue coupons.

When I called air canada they told me that I'm not eligible for the upgrade for this flight. They told me I need a red coupon for this flight?

What is that? How do I qualify for that? Can I ever get an upgrade using the clue coupon.

Oh btw, I work for the govt and I have arranged for ticket purchase through our travel agent.

Sure hope if the folks out there can help me out here. Thanks in advance

Zeems
Old Oct 8, 10, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome aboard.

As to certificates, there are two types. The blue type that you have (SWU) only allows to upgrade from Y/B/M/U fares, which are relatively expensive.

It would appear that the fare you paid is lower and requires the red certificate (SSWU).

So except if you pay the fare difference (which may be significant) possibly plus a change fee, you won't be able to upgrade.

Then there is the question of whether there will be upgrade space available. As Prestige, you will be relatively low on the priority list.
Old Oct 8, 10, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
What day are you flying? Are you connecting through Toronto or Vancouver?

In order to use your blue cert, you are looking at paying in the range of 2 thousand dollars per direction...if there is space available.

Your best bet is to hope for a Last Minute upgrade being offered. It would cost you $799from Toronto, probably a bit less from Vancouver
Old Oct 8, 10, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, Acc Plat, HY Exp, HH Gold, BonV Titanium
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ir-canada.html
Old Oct 8, 10, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

I will try not to use cash for the upgrade. Anyway, thanks everyone. The replies are helpful
Old Oct 8, 10, 8:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Originally Posted by zeems View Post
I will try not to use cash for the upgrade. Anyway, thanks everyone. The replies are helpful
If you are a Public Servant flying on Federal Government business, Treasury Board guidelines say you should be sitting up front on such a long flight. Is your manager trying to say some budget money at your expense?
--
13F
Old Oct 9, 10, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
If you are a Public Servant flying on Federal Government business, Treasury Board guidelines say you should be sitting up front on such a long flight. Is your manager trying to say some budget money at your expense?
--
13F
Gee, this is news to me! I guess Ill check with the Treasury Board. Who knows!
Old Oct 9, 10, 9:32 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Wink

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
--
13F
Gee, this is news to me! I guess Ill check with the Treasury Board. Who knows!
So you use OUR cash to upgrade?
Old Oct 9, 10, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
So you use OUR cash to upgrade?
Just to clarify, I am on an official trip. I suppose thats why the original ticket purchased by my agent was the cheapest. Thanks for your comment though -- it reminds me of my primary duty. Cheers
Old Oct 9, 10, 9:38 pm

Programs: AP, CX Gold, HHonours Gold, SPG Gold, KL/AF Gold
Just to clarify, I am on an official trip. I suppose thats why the original ticket purchased by my agent was the cheapest. Thanks for your comment though -- it reminds me of my primary duty. Cheers
As pointed out, you should be entitled to fly up front, barring any specific exclusions in your contract, per this.

The standard for air travel is economy class. The lowest available airfares appropriate to particular itineraries shall be sought and bookings shall be made as far in advance as possible.

Where available, business/executive class air travel shall be authorized where continuous air travel exceeds nine hours. Continuous air travel starts at the scheduled departure time, and ends with the arrival at destination or with an overnight stop or layover equivalent to an overnight stop.
That's in line with most other private sector employers.
Old Oct 9, 10, 10:10 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Wink

Just having a little fun at your expense.

I don't have any issue with premium travel for civil servants over a certain hour/miles just like the private sector. I believe that one should be paid and have the same benefits whether one is doing their work in private or public sector.

Uncivil servants are another matter.

Search this Thread