Compensation for 2HR MX Delay

Old Oct 4, 10, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Compensation for 2HR MX Delay

I've typically flown AC without incident, so I'm not sure how to approach irrops.

I was on AC8037 operating PIT-YYZ on Sept 24th and the plane was delayed two hours, forcing me to miss one of my meetings that day.

What is the best course of action to take and can I expect any form of compensation (voucher or cash)? I'm a Star Gold if that's of any consequence.

Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 10, 10:52 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver
Why was it delayed?
Old Oct 4, 10, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
I doubt you will get anything. AC is not a good airline for compensation. However start at the top.
[email protected]
Old Oct 4, 10, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufcrule3 View Post
Why was it delayed?
Mechanical - they had to swap out a plane in YYZ.
Old Oct 4, 10, 10:59 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver
Originally Posted by gsforfree View Post
Mechanical - they had to swap out a plane in YYZ.
It's possible! You have more chance than a weather delay or air traffic control delay.
Old Oct 4, 10, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Compensation for a two hours delay?

Why would anyone with an ounce of reason expect compensation for such a minor delay? This business of people expecting compensation for all sorts of minor issues is really getting out of hand. First I want my flying to be safe; I don't think I want safety to be traded in for punctuality; and anyway lately AC's on time record has been quite good.

Bottom line in my book: either people want rock bottom fares, or they want to be treated like royalty. Expecting to have it both ways is unreasonable. Unfortunately too many people go for rock bottom fares.

The way the airlines treat people is not going to improve until fares go up. Unfortunately that does not look like it's going to happen until oil goes up to I don't know $300 a barrel?
Old Oct 4, 10, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
AC does not offer much in compensation. However UA is crazy for the most simple problem compensation is offered. Interesting how 2 different airlines that compete can have such different policies.
Old Oct 4, 10, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by why fly View Post
I doubt you will get anything. AC is not a good airline for compensation. However start at the top.
[email protected]
Why would you suggest starting at the top? Somehow, I think the president of AC has better things to do with their time then deal with a pax requesting comp for a 2 hour delay who hasn't even attempted to deal with the normal channels.

Try customer relations first- if you don't like the answer, then you can think about going up to the next level.

On the other hand, to the OP, things happen. This one happened to be in AC's control, but many are not. Just wondering what your course of action would have been, if, say, there was a thunderstorm that caused this two hour delay?
Old Oct 4, 10, 11:11 am

last time i had a 3.75 hour delay due to irregular engine vibration (as per pilot) and i got nothing, not even a meal voucher....

so good luck!
Old Oct 4, 10, 11:12 am

Programs: AC E35K
A two hour delay, while unfortunate, seems par for the course for any airline on any route.

I think it's on the low edge of where one might expect any consideration at all (such as an airport voucher for a drink, for example).

Contact the airline for some miles or a future discount? Sure, why not.

Obviously it would be stupid to email the president of the airline over the matter.

Your meeting wasn't very important anyway, so I'm not sure if bringing it up will make your case any better. Just note the delay. You might not get anything, so don't put too much effort into it (including emotional effort.)
Old Oct 4, 10, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by zorn View Post
A two hour delay, while unfortunate, seems par for the course for any airline on any route.

I think it's on the low edge of where one might expect any consideration at all (such as an airport voucher for a drink, for example).

Obviously it would be stupid to email the president of the airline over the matter.

Your meeting wasn't very important anyway, so I'm not sure if bringing it up will make your case any better. Just note the delay. You might not get anything, so don't put too much effort into it (including emotional effort.)
like others have said before, if the meeting was important you would have left more leeway/time.
Old Oct 4, 10, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC SE (+1MM)
Sh!t happens

To the OP... Sorry but this falls under the broad travel category being... "the nature of the beast". It is therefore IMHO, not very realistic for you to expect more than "token" compensation from AC. As others have said, if your arrival time was that important (i.e. a meeting etc.) than you should have traveled sooner.
Old Oct 4, 10, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Compensation for a two hours delay?

Why would anyone with an ounce of reason expect compensation for such a minor delay?
Last time I checked, a schedule is published for a reason. I understand that there are delays in travel, but expecting that a 2 hr delay is reasonable in out of the question.

It bothers me that people are OK with it. Granted, AC is a captive carrier for many people, but if passengers accept 2 hr delays (clear weather) as par for the course, then how are we getting what we pay for?

Though, I do enjoy flying AC and the service is a notch above other NA carriers, if I am scheduled to land at 1205, it's reasonable to expect to land near that time.

Originally Posted by why fly View Post
[email protected]
I don't like wasting people's time, the president seems like overkill.

Originally Posted by zorn View Post

Whether the meeting was important is a non-issue - it was scheduled at 3 o'clock and I missed it due to AC's negligence in maintaining their aircraft. Schedule a meeting for 3 hrs after landing is reasonable, by any standard.

Interestingly, AC has no employees in PIT, they're UA workers so no help with AC irrops.

Last edited by gsforfree; Oct 4, 10 at 12:37 pm
Old Oct 4, 10, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Looks like the general consensus is that AC probably won't give anything in terms of compensation.

I still contend, however, that a mechanical delay for 2 hours is unacceptable - whether it's par for the course or not.
Old Oct 4, 10, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsforfree View Post
Last time I checked, a schedule is published for a reason. I understand that there are delays in travel, but expecting that a 2 hr delay is reasonable in out of the question.
Schedule is published for a reason.

OTOH, flying remains fraught with potential dangers. A two hours delays is well within reasonable limits. It happens. Not so often and actually AC's on time performance has been pretty good lately.

However if in your book two hours technical delay is unacceptable, I must wonder, what sort of fares would you be prepared to live with?

(Contract only provides that they'll get you there BTW. With no requirement as to when.)

Whether the meeting was important is a non-issue - it was scheduled at 3 o'clock and I missed it due to AC's negligence in maintaining their aircraft. Schedule a meeting for 3 hrs after landing is reasonable, by any standard.
"Negligence?" Come on. Flying remains potentially fraught with potential dangers. Plus, again, if you care about fares, then you must live with tradeoffs between delays and fares. But calling this negligence is quite inappropriate.

I like to complain about lots of things, mostly service-related and which they could do better. But occasional issues, I am quite prepared to live with.

Search this Thread