Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aerogold Visa card compromised - again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aerogold Visa card compromised - again

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by fin 645
Ironic to see this thread (I was the OP) again, right after my CIBC VISA was yet again compromised - it's kind of an annual event. They were every bit as useless in replacing the card as before - it was 4 days before I left on my mini RTW, but as a weekend intervened, even express replacement was no good. So a replacement card was in my mail when I returned. I am currently evaluating which cards to use, and likely going to join the churning crowd.
u sure no one got into your credit records and messing about with it?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I used my debit card to buy lunch and within an hour or so there was a vmail from the RBC fraud squad informing me I need to go to any branch to choose a new PIN and get a new card because I "had recently used the card at a venue currently under investigation for card duplication".

They know, yet they still allow the merchant to keep the terminal and skim cards to no end!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Some days carrying cash seems a lot more secure. As a general rule I'll never use plastic for a transaction under $20.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Some days carrying cash seems a lot more secure. As a general rule I'll never use plastic for a transaction under $20.
Haha you are alone in that crowd with this group of people. We'll pay for a 1.00 parking fee with our cards to get a mile!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by DaveTO
Haha you are alone in that crowd with this group of people. We'll pay for a 1.00 parking fee with our cards to get a mile!
I hate people like that in line ahead of me at the food court putting a $2 coffee on their debit cards, it takes forever to get through the line. At least one place I frequent has a cash only till which usually moves at twice the speed of the regular line.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I used my debit card to buy lunch and within an hour or so there was a vmail from the RBC fraud squad informing me I need to go to any branch to choose a new PIN and get a new card because I "had recently used the card at a venue currently under investigation for card duplication".

They know, yet they still allow the merchant to keep the terminal and skim cards to no end!
Hey, just to give you some context, that's not exactly how it works... Here is an example..

Dec 1st. purchase - Pizza Hut
Dec. 5th purchase - American Eagle
Dec. 7th purchase - Esso
Dec. 9th ABM cash withdrawal
Dec.18th ABM cash withdrawal
dec. 19th purchase - Sears

Dec. 19th your card get's compromised and you have a message from your bank.

You think: Purchase at Sears did it! it was my last purchase and only 1 hr ago.
Truth: ABM withdrawal triggered card compromise, since on Dec. 19th (day after your withdrawal) bank staff/good Samaritan noticed irregularly where card goes in. Fraud and police notified, record from HP (who do CIBC machines anyway) indicate each card # that used the machine and the cards get blocked.
Just so happens to of happened after your sears purchase.

I've also seen people whose card has been compromised and no debit card activity in a week. Yes, it can take a week for us to be notified or for the device to be found.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:06 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
Hey, just to give you some context, that's not exactly how it works... Here is an example..

Dec 1st. purchase - Pizza Hut
Dec. 5th purchase - American Eagle
Dec. 7th purchase - Esso
Dec. 9th ABM cash withdrawal
Dec.18th ABM cash withdrawal
dec. 19th purchase - Sears

Dec. 19th your card get's compromised and you have a message from your bank.

You think: Purchase at Sears did it! it was my last purchase and only 1 hr ago.
Truth: ABM withdrawal triggered card compromise, since on Dec. 19th (day after your withdrawal) bank staff/good Samaritan noticed irregularly where card goes in. Fraud and police notified, record from HP (who do CIBC machines anyway) indicate each card # that used the machine and the cards get blocked.
Just so happens to of happened after your sears purchase.

I've also seen people whose card has been compromised and no debit card activity in a week. Yes, it can take a week for us to be notified or for the device to be found.

Hope that helps.
Fair enough, that's what I've always assumed. Now, if Visa would have the decency to tell you about the cancelled card instead of leaving you hung out to dry trying to check into a Westin hotel, the world would be a better place
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:36 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RCyyz
How do you know RBC is the merchant's payment system provider?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:01 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Originally Posted by fin 645
Ironic to see this thread (I was the OP) again, right after my CIBC VISA was yet again compromised - it's kind of an annual event. They were every bit as useless in replacing the card as before - it was 4 days before I left on my mini RTW, but as a weekend intervened, even express replacement was no good. So a replacement card was in my mail when I returned. I am currently evaluating which cards to use, and likely going to join the churning crowd.
You too eh buddy? What kind of charges appeared on your card, how did you know? Small online charges or were you hit for a big TV?

I suspect employees and organized gangs hacking databases or even selling & skimming data from POS terminals. My card is on file with many hotels, rental car companies, Paypal, airlines. I pay only with chip terminals and never use it anywhere dodgy like cabs or small stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.