Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Stopover Hotel Program [likely terminated as of early 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Air Canada Stopover Hotel Program [likely terminated as of early 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
Air Canada noob here.

I've booked LHR-YYZ-DCA-YUL-LHR in PE and wanted to stay overnight in both Toronto and Montreal, but it seems I'd only get the hotel for the duration of the 6h30 ish connectons I've booked.

I was a bit confused - I hoped I'd get an overnight hotel and my itinerary would be amended to continue the day after, is this not the case?

Last edited by Chokkoubin; Dec 30, 2016 at 1:29 am Reason: flavour
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You would have had to book it with a stopover, which I believe is only free in Toronto. Or maybe that ended.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: *G
I will book AC and rouge flights
outgoing FRA/CPH/YYZ over night YYZ/SXM, and return SXM/YYZ over night YYZ/MUC/FRA.
over night is of course more than 6 hours.
FRA/CPH is SK metal, AC code share name, and MUC/FRA is LH metal, AC code share name.
When I try to book them, only possible for the inbound flights to click a hotel booking by stop over program.
When I change the outbound flights to FRA/YYZ, possible to book them on the both ways.
FRA/CPH is SK, however, CPH/YYZ/SXM are AC and rouge.
Do you know why I cannot have the offer on the outbound flight? Should I call AC Vacation after purchased the flight tickets?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: *G
hi again,
I booked flights on the official website, and only clicked return flight(no choice!).
After purchased, I logged in stop over page, then I could select hotels on the both ways!
I fly with Premium Economy and Rouge Business, then free hotel is Quality Suits.
13 dollars extra for Sandman,
100 dollars extra for Holiday Inn,
108 dollars for Sheraton Gate way

I am happy for that! ^
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
Air Canada noob here.

I've booked LHR-YYZ-DCA-YUL-LHR in PE and wanted to stay overnight in both Toronto and Montreal, but it seems I'd only get the hotel for the duration of the 6h30 ish connectons I've booked.

I was a bit confused - I hoped I'd get an overnight hotel and my itinerary would be amended to continue the day after, is this not the case?
Both stopovers are possible. However, Air Canada doesn't change your booking for you based on the fact that you are requesting stopovers as far as I know. You will have to change your booking if you want a longer stay in either city. If you didn't book PE flexible, you will have to pay a change fee.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC Stopover

Following is criteria for stopover off the AC web-site;

"To Book your Air Canada Stopover

You can book your stopover hotel in just a few easy steps.

Opt into the Air Canada Stopover program at least 96 hours prior to your trip:
◾At time of booking, select the Air Canada Stopover option from the travel options offered to you after you have made your flight selection
◾If you have already completed your booking, just go to the Manage My Bookings page, retrieve your flight booking and, if eligible (view “Eligibility” below), you will find a link to opt into the Air Canada Stopover program

Book your hotel at least 96 hours prior to your arrival in your connecting city (Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver)
◾Enter the Air Canada booking reference number and passenger last name
◾Select the hotel of your choice"

I have booked a trip that is YSB/YYZ on March 16th and connects YYZ/CUR on March 17. I return March 26th AUA/YYZ/YSB.
Had I booked YSB/CUR r/t or YSB/AUA r/t I am eligible for the complimentary room as on latitude fare.As an open -jaw ticket not do-able.

Spent 30 minutes on phone with 4 agents and the last one from ACV Customer Care was very good, even called me back.

I think the policy is weird and should allow. If AC reads this post it is FYI.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I like that FT is considered a venue to send AC an FYI.

Thanks for the heads up.

TK doesn't require R/T for their program. I find this weird...

Since you spent so much time on the phone with them, did you find out what kind of hotel you can get?

Is it a days inn or a Park Hyatt?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Since you spent so much time on the phone with them, did you find out what kind of hotel you can get?

Is it a days inn or a Park Hyatt?
Afaik it slightly depends on whether you're booked in Lat or J, but generally you're only offered the cheapest airport hotel - which AC probably pays very little for since they probably buy a block of (tens of) thousands of rooms per year.

FWIW, you're usually offered 1-2 free options, 1-2 discounted options which are (sort of) a decent deal and a few hotels where the rates may technically be discounted, but a savvy FTer could generally find a better deal.

E.g. for a YYZ stopover I remember something along the lines of:

Days Inn - free
Radisson Suites YYZ - $79
Sheraton YYZ - $109

(I assume hotels and rates vary)
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
How does this work for Tango and Flex? "One night hotel starting at $49"

Does that mean you pay $49+taxes and get a hotel? AC covers the difference (given most hotels cost > $49). Especially if one is stopping in the US where C$49 gets you maybe U$38.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:18 am

^ Yes the $49 is what you pay for the night (forget if there were marginal taxes on top or all inclusive). After a day or so from your booking, you will get a voucher to present at check-in.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:27 pm
formerly airedalemom

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......
Question I can't choose the correct stopover

Has anyone encountered this issue?

I have flights with 2 connections I would like to book hotels in YUL for both the Departure & Return

The selection only shows an option for the 7 hour layover Vancouver during the day on the departure. BUT we land in YUL at 22:57 and depart at 08:20 that's an 8 hour layover in Montreal and it's night.

Obviously the automated system doesn't understand that it would be better to sleep in a hotel from midnight to 6 am instead of during the day in YVR.

I've sent an email to them, let's see how long before they get back to me. Luckily we aren't going until December...
Attached Images  
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by airedalemom
Has anyone encountered this issue?

I have flights with 2 connections I would like to book hotels in YUL for both the Departure & Return

The selection only shows an option for the 7 hour layover Vancouver during the day on the departure. BUT we land in YUL at 22:57 and depart at 08:20 that's an 8 hour layover in Montreal and it's night.

Obviously the automated system doesn't understand that it would be better to sleep in a hotel from midnight to 6 am instead of during the day in YVR.

I've sent an email to them, let's see how long before they get back to me. Luckily we aren't going until December...
Oh day AC will hire someone to run their IT who actually knows and likes flying....... one day.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:00 am

YYZ Sandman $103 and YYZ Sheraton Gateway Hotel $133 on an Aeroplan J ticket. The latter was priced at about $215 on spg.com, so not a bad discount but not enough for me to abandon sleeping on my friend's couch
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
Naz, are you saying Aeroplan passengers have access to the stop over program?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
Naz, are you saying Aeroplan passengers have access to the stop over program?
Last summer I was able to get the Holiday Inn at YYZ for free, on an I-fare ticket, so yes! Only worked on 1 of the 2 itineraries though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.