Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Stopover Hotel Program [likely terminated as of early 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Air Canada Stopover Hotel Program [likely terminated as of early 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by elenea86
That's what I thought was the original issue as it's an I-class ticket however, unless I'm just missing it, it doesn't state on the page that it needs to be a paid fare and/or select classes only. Just says it needs to be AC coded flight, which it is. Unless they mean my ticket needs to be AC coded which then i'm SOL as it's coded to UA.

It's why I called originally and it's why I had a glimmer of hope when the agent said it was due to the last leg of my connection not being on AC metal. IF this doesn't work, i'll be in the International or Domestic MLL at YYZ for a few hours on August 10th if anyone wants to hang out.
Well, the wording below says on a fare purchased on ac.com or TA... and also, expert7700's link (which implied didn't work for you)

But if our advice is not good enough, then let us know how you do chasing this one down.
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Terms and Conditions
How do I know if I’m eligible for Air Canada Stopover?

You’ll be offered the Air Canada Stopover option when you purchase a one-way or round-trip ticket (any fare) at aircanada.com or through your travel agent, provided:
  • You complete your booking at least 96 hours before your flight’s scheduled departure time.
  • You’re travelling on an Air Canada-coded flight operated by Air Canada or Air Canada Rouge, or an Air Canada Express flight operated by Jazz, Sky Regional, Air Georgian Ltd. or Exploits Valley Air Services Ltd.
  • Your itinerary includes at least one city outside Canada or the U.S. as well as a connection in Toronto, Montréal or Vancouver of over 6 hours
Note: You must be 21 years of age or over to check-in at most Canadian hotels.

The Air Canada Stopover option is not available for:
  • Multi-city itineraries
  • Group bookings
  • Bookings which include an open-jaw segment.
    • An open jaw segment is one in which you are either travelling to one city and continuing onward from another, or departing from one city but returning to another.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Using the Air Canada Stopover programme for the first time (actually, flying AC for the first time too). Hope to tap into the knowledge of the gurus here. Solo traveller in business (P class) PVG-YVR-YYC // YYC-YYZ-PVG.

1. On the outbound (Dec 2019), I have an 8+ hour daytime layover in YVR. I availed myself to a free room at the Holiday Inn International - Vancouver Airport. I received an email with a confirmation number on 21 June. It says I will be receiving the invoice and stopover voucher in two separate emails within the next 24-48 hours. On 27 June, I received the invoice. To date, I have not received the stopover voucher. Is this normal? Should I wait closer to the date, or start emailing Air Canada Vacations now? (I'd prefer not to call, since I am based in SIN, long distance charges and time difference etc)

2. On the inbound (Jan 2020), I have an overnight layover in YYZ. There was no hotel offered when I booked the air ticket, but now the option of the Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre has shown up. It is free. I'd prefer the Sheraton Gateway to avoid the shuttle, even if there's a modest upcharge. In your experience, would the Gateway option appear closer to the date, or is this it?

Many thanks in advance for your advice and insights.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
I usually get the voucher itself a few days before travel of that leg (around 3-5 days). If you are concerned, call them, but this is my experience in about 7 uses of the program. Skype is free or very cheap

The availability of hotels change the whole time. The Sheraton you want might open up, and it might be for $100-$200 (possibly higher) for the night. If you are happy paying a large premium, then wait. The Sheraton you don’t want might disappear, and the other Sheraton might also never appear, leaving you maybe in a worse position than currently

Once you select a hotel & book it, you don’t see the availability options for other hotels. You might be able to cancel your booking to see where you stand, but I am not one to mess around to test what happens if I was to

I had a trip a couple of weeks ago and had to part with cash for the first time. A whole $14 CAD! When I searched my options initially, I wasn’t particularly satisfied with the couple of free options, so I decided to wait. Later on the free and cheap options disappeared, and the lowest price was $133. Checked a few weeks later and the 2nd cheapest was the Marriott Courtyard (where I am treated well, get status benefits as well as points on my own spend), so I booked that instead of risking it disappearing

All my experience is at YYZ, but presuming that most of the above will apply to YVR also. Only on N fares, as it’s only on the return leg with an overnight in YYZ
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
I usually get the voucher itself a few days before travel of that leg (around 3-5 days). If you are concerned, call them, but this is my experience in about 7 uses of the program. Skype is free or very cheap

The availability of hotels change the whole time. The Sheraton you want might open up, and it might be for $100-$200 (possibly higher) for the night. If you are happy paying a large premium, then wait. The Sheraton you don’t want might disappear, and the other Sheraton might also never appear, leaving you maybe in a worse position than currently

Once you select a hotel & book it, you don’t see the availability options for other hotels. You might be able to cancel your booking to see where you stand, but I am not one to mess around to test what happens if I was to

I had a trip a couple of weeks ago and had to part with cash for the first time. A whole $14 CAD! When I searched my options initially, I wasn’t particularly satisfied with the couple of free options, so I decided to wait. Later on the free and cheap options disappeared, and the lowest price was $133. Checked a few weeks later and the 2nd cheapest was the Marriott Courtyard (where I am treated well, get status benefits as well as points on my own spend), so I booked that instead of risking it disappearing

All my experience is at YYZ, but presuming that most of the above will apply to YVR also. Only on N fares, as it’s only on the return leg with an overnight in YYZ
Thank you, that was very helpful. In fact, today two more hotel options appeared for YYZ (but neither of them the Gateway that I wanted). Since the trip is still quite far out, I will monitor for a bit longer.

Edit: In case this helps others, my options for YYZ in January 2020 are:

Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre - Free
Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport - Free
Hotel Carlingview Toronto Airport - Free

This is on a paid business P fare.

Last edited by cowie; Aug 31, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Stopover Hotel Booking

Hiya! Possibly dumb question -- I'm trying to book a stopover hotel via Air Canada Stopover -- https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/.../stopover.html

Clicking the "Book my stopover hotel" leads to the dead link: http://aircanadastopover.aircanadavacations.com/

Is this still a thing? Does anyone have the updated link by any chance?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your itinerary qualifies, send a mail to [email protected]
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
If your itinerary qualifies, send a mail to [email protected]
Can confirm, this was what I was told when I called in a few days ago as well, however they have not gotten back to me yet... so we'll see.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Sheraton Toronto Airport

This property is not a bad stopover option. It does involve a shuttle bus ride 4 km?
Pluses - great lounge, good staff and great hot tub!
Negatives - older property, poor Sheraton Fitness zone, in the midde of nowhere.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
This property is not a bad stopover option. It does involve a shuttle bus ride 4 km?
Pluses - great lounge, good staff and great hot tub!
Negatives - older property, poor Sheraton Fitness zone, in the midde of nowhere.
For future researchers: the Sheraton Gateway is on the YYZ campus, touching Terminal 3, and an all-inside 3 minute train ride from ACs Terminal 1.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Is this still a thing? Does anyone have the updated link by any chance?
Their contact form vacations.aircanada.com/en/contact-us-form received the quickest response for me.

I tried the email listed upthread and was on hold for over 2 hours before giving up and finding the above contact form. Note that their reply email may end up in the spam/junk mail box for whatever reason.

edit: they eventually replied to the email, a bit over a week later. The form was same day.

Last edited by random.parts; Jan 5, 2020 at 10:35 am Reason: added url
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Can confirm, this was what I was told when I called in a few days ago as well, however they have not gotten back to me yet... so we'll see.
Were you even able to call? The stopover link now redirects here: https://vacations.aircanada.com/c/503.html, which lists 1 800-296-3408, which seems to be out of service when I attempt to call it using various phones. To make things worse, this is the number AC Vacations (hotels?) gives as the number to call DURING travel.

All three of these numbers go to an "out of service" message (not busy, not queue):
866-529-2079
833-752-2210
866-264-7758
800-296-3408

Is this Amadeus fallout or normal for ACV?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: 35 K
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Were you even able to call? The stopover link now redirects here: https://vacations.aircanada.com/c/503.html, which lists 1 800-296-3408, which seems to be out of service when I attempt to call it using various phones. To make things worse, this is the number AC Vacations (hotels?) gives as the number to call DURING travel.

All three of these numbers go to an "out of service" message (not busy, not queue):
866-529-2079
833-752-2210
866-264-7758
800-296-3408

Is this Amadeus fallout or normal for ACV?
I had to call in for a stopover in YVR and spent 6 hours on hold for 2 calls.AC Vacations also changed their booking software at the same time AC changed . Makes you wonder if anyone lost a job over these decisions to changed so close to such a busy travel time.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Well, the wording below says on a fare purchased on ac.com or TA... and also, expert7700's link (which implied didn't work for you)

But if our advice is not good enough, then let us know how you do chasing this one down.
  • Frequently Asked Questions
    • Terms and Conditions
How do I know if I’m eligible for Air Canada Stopover?
You’ll be offered the Air Canada Stopover option when you purchase a one-way or round-trip ticket (any fare) at aircanada.com or through your travel agent, provided:
  • You complete your booking at least 96 hours before your flight’s scheduled departure time.
    • You’re travelling on an Air Canada-coded flight operated by Air Canada or Air Canada Rouge, or an Air Canada Express flight operated by Jazz, Sky Regional, Air Georgian Ltd. or Exploits Valley Air Services Ltd.
      • Your itinerary includes at least one city outside Canada or the U.S. as well as a connection in Toronto, Montréal or Vancouver of over 6 hours
Note: You must be 21 years of age or over to check-in at most Canadian hotels.

The Air Canada Stopover option is not available for:
  • Multi-city itineraries
  • Group bookings
  • Bookings which include an open-jaw segment.
    • An open jaw segment is one in which you are either travelling to one city and continuing onward from another, or departing from one city but returning to another.
So, I met all the criteria, but apparently they are out of rooms, I am rather disappointed.

It only took them 6 days to email me and say no.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Disappointing to read the above issues - as I had non whatsoever with many uses of the program. Hopefully they sort this asap

Kind of glad now that my trip next month is with TK, as AC is flying an economy only flight between PTY/YYZ
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
So, I met all the criteria, but apparently they are out of rooms, I am rather disappointed.

It only took them 6 days to email me and say no.
Six days...! It's like they waited until they were out of rooms to tell you they were out of rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.