Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada faces Twitter rage over PR nightmare

Air Canada faces Twitter rage over PR nightmare

Old Aug 5, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: ac ELITE,aa,nwa, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Actually there was one very simple, foolproof method to "win" this one (or at least not "lose".) Don't damage the property in the first place.
+1
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by NordsFan
6- an unfortunate checked item issue;
Wow, that's a new level of spin.....
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Actually there was one very simple, foolproof method to "win" this one (or at least not "lose".) Don't damage the property in the first place.
+2!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by jiml1126
No. The very simple thing is don't even bother to organize this selfish tweet-a-thon to send a child to another country so his selfish wish can be fulfilled.
Go find another board to spew that kind of crap. You're not funny, you're not being "tough", you're just being a loser.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
+1

I wonder what number they used to call. If it was the local (NY) office, I can understand nobody doing a damn thing. If it was head office, then somebody needs a good slapping .

I hope AC gets all the bad PR this deserves.
Well in the Twitter community and the blogs, AC got a major drubbing, but it looks like the response was out of confusion (including the response by AC's spokesman). From what I read, they found a place in the NYC area to fix it overnight and while it is only a stop-gap measure, they promised to make a full repair upon their return to Canada.

While I understand that some people love to bash AC, it seems that they made every effort or fix their mistake as soon as possible.

Since I fly YYZ-LGA a bit, I can say that there are some very good employees there who understand the importance of their customers and how to provide good CS.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
(....)

Last edited by NordsFan; Aug 5, 2010 at 4:53 pm Reason: Pfftttt.....
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:22 pm

i think it was a good ending (of course the ending would be better if there is a way to save the boy's life)......

AC tried its utmost to have the chair repaired ASAP, gave it a loaner and offered to make the kid's #1 wish come true, by taking him and his couz to disneyland....and offered to donate to rebuilding his house for him to rest in.

it is understandable that his aunt is a little upset at first and found twitter as means to vent her displeasure, but afterall i have seen many customers getting upset when their check-in baggage is damaged....

i just hope that the kid and his family, as well as the media take AC's gesture in kind.....its a mistake and AC tried to correct it and make it better

of course.... +3 the best way is to prevent the damage in the first place
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by JimYUL
Go find another board to spew that kind of crap. You're not funny, you're not being "tough", you're just being a loser.
I didn't make fun of this. I'm irritated when I read the report. AC getting bad PR rap for damaging valued customers' item is one thing, but the selfishness of mankind is another.

I'm simply pointing out the reality. Only losers avoid reality. The first step to fix the problem is to face the problem, which someone chose not to and calling people crap instead.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:54 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
AC srewed up

Originally Posted by NordsFan
But, is that what happened ?

My reading is that the damage occurred and that steps were taken on the spot at LGA. Where is the "boilerplate" in that ?

The corporate response, if any, surely came after what was surely an honest good-faith attempt by the LGA station staff to fix a problem that in the particular circumstances was going to blow up any way they played it (except, as KH suggests, if they didn't break the w-chair to begin with).
There were ways to win this.

Like KH suggested, had the AC staff who loaded the plane took extra care of the wheelchair, it may not have broken.

Now that it has been broken and the child arrived in New York... AC should have gotten their staff to get a brand new similar or better version of the wheelchair in New York City. They are in freaken NEW YORK - not Arctic north like Yellowknife with limited supplies.

Imagine this. Had that been someone big and important person, say Prime Minister Steven Harper's son, who is in this imaginary world have similar illness, in same situation I am sure the AC staff would have scurried, spared no expense and gotten the correct wheelchair replacement and delivered to hotel the same day. (note: I do not wish our Prime Minister's son having any illness it's just a hypothetical example)

The truth is this. AC staff either at LGA didn't take the situation seriously enough (highly unlikely since most people are empathetic. How could you not be moved when a dying kid shows up in front of you and explains visiting New York is last wish)

OR

The LGA staff reported to corporate head-quarters and the guys there are full of "jiml1126" types who has little sympathy and lack basic empathy. It is precisely the lack of empathy led Corporate AC to fail to know this is a big deal and will hurt their brand thus making the wrong call. They failed to know that "Make a Wish Foundation" mission to grants wishes of children with serious medical conditions thus should be taken seriously.

The newspaper isn't out to trash AC. Their out to get a good story. The screw up of AC sells the story. But there could be anyother story that also would sell. The story line could have ended with a North American favorite theme - "redemption" where AC successfully gotten a new, upgraded wheelchair so the child can see New York. The PR can work it saying "AC - help make childrens dreams come true!"

Update: I just read the update of the story. AC finally got the story line right. Got the chair repaired overnight and have a manager personally deliver the chair and also taking the child to his No 1 personal wish of Disneyland. Though a little late, but that is indeed a redeption storyline. I am glad Air Canada did the right thing.

Last edited by yeunganson; Aug 5, 2010 at 5:13 pm
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
I head the interview with the kid on radio and I must say, what I did not like at all was that you could hear he was being coached by a female voice telling him what to say in answer to the radio host!

People use other people's misery to their own benefit all the time and I guess (presumably) the aunt has seen an opportunity in this. Can't blame 'em, it's AC's fault to begin with.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:05 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by jiml1126
Do I care I stepped on a landmine? no.

What if he died suddenly inflight? What if he died suddenly on the trip?
If the child sponsored by Make a Wish Foundation died on plane, it is considered a "beautiful" death. He would have died with his family along his side, having the excitement of flying on a plane and in the process of having his dream come true.

It is a much better way to die like that than say on a hospital bed.

Not a lot of people can die so "beautifully". Some die in pain, some die by accident, some die alone. If death is imminent, it is better to die in the process of fullfilling dreams.

This same thing applies to life. For the child, his life lis short. Doesn't mean he should be denied to experience some joy or some excitement in his life. As we, as a rich society, have enough resources to take care of ourselves. We should spend some of our resources to benifit the very unfortunate - in this case a dying child.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson

Like KH suggested, had the AC staff who loaded the plane took extra care of the wheelchair, it may not have broken.

Now that it has been broken and the child arrived in New York... AC should have gotten their staff to get a brand new similar or better version of the wheelchair in New York City. They are in freaken NEW YORK - not Arctic north like Yellowknife with limited supplies.

Imagine this. Had that been someone big and important person, say Prime Minister Steven Harper's son, who is in this imaginary world have similar illness, in same situation I am sure the AC staff would have scurried, spared no expense and gotten the correct wheelchair replacement and delivered to hotel the same day. (note: I do not wish our Prime Minister's son having any illness it's just a hypothetical example)

The truth is this. AC staff either at LGA didn't take the situation seriously enough (highly unlikely since most people are empathetic. How could you not be moved when a dying kid shows up in front of you and explains visiting New York is last wish)

OR

The LGA staff reported to corporate head-quarters and the guys there are full of "jiml1126" types who has little sympathy and lack basic empathy. It is precisely the lack of empathy led Corporate AC to fail to know this is a big deal and will hurt their brand thus making the wrong call. They failed to know that "Make a Wish Foundation" mission to grants wishes of children with serious medical conditions thus should be taken seriously.

The newspaper isn't out to trash AC. Their out to get a good story. The screw up of AC sells the story. But there could be anyother story that also would sell. The story line could have ended with a North American favorite theme - "redemption" where AC successfully gotten a new, upgraded wheelchair so the child can see New York. The PR can work it saying "AC - help make childrens dreams come true!"
Do you even care to know all the facts before you go on with your imaginary story?

Regrettably Tanner's electric chair arrived in damaged condition at La Guardia airport, we are sorry about this and are investigating. Our manager at the airport immediately sent the broken chair, which is custom made, out for repairs. We also supplied a manual wheelchair and later in the evening an electric wheelchair for his use in the interim. Once we learned the replacement chair was inadequate we got in contact with the family to see what we could do for them. Because the chair is custom-made it is difficult to get it repaired or replaced quickly but we are doing all we can.”
And this:

"We are deeply sorry that Tanner's personal electric wheelchair arrived damaged at La Guardia airport, and we are investigating this. Despite several attempts to replace it temporarily throughout the day yesterday, we know that the only one that could do the job was Tanner's own. We found an all-night repair service in New York, and are pleased to report that it has been repaired and delivered in person by one of our managers to Tanner this afternoon.

" We know Tanner's Number One personal wish is to go to Disney World, so we'll be making that happen for him and his cousins. It goes without saying, after all the efforts by so many of us at Air Canada to make this right over the past 24 hours, including numerous attempts to reach the family by phone, email and twitter, we are very disappointed with how this has transpired. We will be looking at how this happened in the first place and how we can improve in the future. The main thing right now is that Tanner has his own wheelchair back in working order and we wish him all the success in his #TutusForTanner tweet-a-thon."
As I said above, it seems to me someone tried to use this kid's situation to take some advantage. I mean what better way to win the hearts and minds of people by involving a dying young boy and his dying wishes... I hope I'm wrong though, despite the coaching they were giving the kid over the radio interview in answers to the questions. Poor kid...
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
If you had read the CTV report, and what I posted above, then you would know that AC did go out and find a 24-hr repair shop to get the wheel chair running. It does not matter if you are in NY, a custom-built wheelchair is custom built. In less than 18 hours, a destroyed wheelchair was fixed so that Tanner could be mobile again. So, despite your claim of AC staff in LGA not taking it seriously, they obviously did to get the wheelchair back to his hotel by 2pm today!

As for the last line in your post, seems AC has done all that and more, but then nothing beats a good story about the villains at AC, eh!

Originally Posted by yeunganson

OR

Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by neuron
If you had read the CTV report, and what I posted above, then you would know that AC did go out and find a 24-hr repair shop to get the wheel chair running. It does not matter if you are in NY, a custom-built wheelchair is custom built. In less than 18 hours, a destroyed wheelchair was fixed so that Tanner could be mobile again. So, despite your claim of AC staff in LGA not taking it seriously, they obviously did to get the wheelchair back to his hotel by 2pm today!

As for the last line in your post, seems AC has done all that and more, but then nothing beats a good story about the villains at AC, eh!
I don't think he's ever heard of Air Canada Kids' Horizons Program, run by those same supposed "villains"..
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: FT
looks like AC has done a good job in the end....i hope as another notes, the person writes about that also...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.