Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Pls do not use seat pouches for storage"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others

OK, recent AC flight heard something never heard before on any of my flights: “Please do not use seatback pouches for storage”. Hmm. She even said it a few times during the pre-flight and other announcements. Now, she was a salty dog, a been-there-done-that type, not unpleasant, but not WestJet bubbly youthful either. With a smile, I stored my pen and headphones in the seatback pouch, along with the other AC stuff stored there, considering it just a quirky personalized add-on she does to somehow save herself work.

But she was obviously an experienced FA and, you know what, there is a lot to be said for experience. She obviously had a good reason for this add-on. I now wish I had found a quiet moment to politely ask her about it. Being one of those folks who only think of the perfect thing to say hours after an event, I didn't. So I am asking here, curiously: why this announcement?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
laptops can be lethal, food can be messy....you might forget it....good luck....
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:40 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
OK, recent AC flight heard something never heard before on any of my flights: “Please do not use seatback pouches for storage”. Hmm. She even said it a few times during the pre-flight and other announcements. Now, she was a salty dog, a been-there-done-that type, not unpleasant, but not WestJet bubbly youthful either. With a smile, I stored my pen and headphones in the seatback pouch, along with the other AC stuff stored there, considering it just a quirky personalized add-on she does to somehow save herself work.

But she was obviously an experienced FA and, you know what, there is a lot to be said for experience. She obviously had a good reason for this add-on. I now wish I had found a quiet moment to politely ask her about it. Being one of those folks who only think of the perfect thing to say hours after an event, I didn't. So I am asking here, curiously: why this announcement?
This is standard on UA flights.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:12 pm

Here is a safety information circular from the US FAA:

InFO 09018 - Stowage of Items in Seat Pockets (.pdf)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfo
This is standard on UA flights.
Definitely not standard on UA, at least IME, but I've certainly heard it now and again. Most of my flying is domestic/transborder on UA. This was more common on some of the regional carriers (i.e. SkyWest, etc.) at one point, as there were rumors that FAA personal had given them specific instructions. I think there was some sort of miscomm that has now been clarified. I definitely haven't heard this kind of announcements in a while.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:33 pm

if i recall too stowage of used cans and cups causes air rage for some passengers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.