Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerryhung
It would help if every member could take a moment to ensure they are posting in the correct thread. This one is meant to be only for listing valid booked mini-RTW itineraries and not questions about booking mini-RTW which belong in this thread:

Mini RTW Questions

Newer members who are just coming to find the whole topic are likewise encouraged to read and pose their questions in this thread:

The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

List of valid and booked Mini-RTW 2.0 (post-2014 version of this thread)
Print Wikipost

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
not sure on the mileage but the agent u spoke is to wrong, try calling back and try again. It's possible I got lucky and if that's the case, try your point of return as BKK or SIN and work in HKG as a stop.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Updated my Feb2011 trip to this new routing:

YYZ-YUL on AC in J
YUL-ZRH on LX in F
ZRH-IST on TK in J (stop)
IST-BKK on TK in J
BKK-SYD on TG in F (turnaround)
SYD-ICN on OZ in J
ICN-NRT on OZ in J (stop)
NRT-YYZ on AC in J

Lessons learned that I had missed in the past which I'll document here for others:
  • No points get refunded if you switch an F reward to a J reward (by dropping to J on all segments)
  • The only way that SYD-SIN-NRT-YYZ or SYD-ICN-NRT-YYZ is allowed on a reward is by using an SQ routing. My agent had to hunt a long time to find that one.
  • When you make a change, the full new fees and taxes are charged immediately, but the old fees and taxes are refunded "within one or two statements" i.e. 3-6 weeks. Nice little moneymaker.

Last edited by cam_macleod; Aug 9, 2010 at 11:18 am
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by cam_macleod
Updated my Feb2011 trip to this new routing:

When you make a change, the full new fees and taxes are charged immediately, but the old fees and taxes are refunded "within one or two statements" i.e. 3-6 weeks. Nice little moneymaker.
I changed my mini RTW last week.

Now you'd think they could process a refund in a similar time frame as the charges...

BTW - I may not like it but I have no problem with Aeroplan charging $90 for the change fee. It is a published fee and they have always told me at the time I booked the original ticket that a $90 change fee is in effect.
        Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: AP E
        I've just had confirmation for the following routing in (mostly) J.

SEP 01: UA YYZ --> IAD
        SEP 01: NH IAD --> NRT
        SEP 02: NH NRT --> TPE (destination)
        APR 19: NH TPE --> NRT
        APR 20: NH NRT --> FRA
        APR 20: LX FRA --> ZRH (stop)
        APR 26: LX ZRH --> ORD
        APR 26: UA ORD --> YYZ

All in J except for the two segments in UA which are in Y. Taxes and fees come to $217.96.
        Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: meh
        Originally Posted by igloocoder
        Not quite RTW booked May 2010 for travel starting at the end of February 2011

YEG-YYC (AC - Y)
        YYC-FRA (LH - F)
        FRA-ZRH (LH - J) STOP
        ZRH-BKK (TG - F) STOP
        BKK-HKG (TG - F) 17.5hr layover
        HKG-ICN (OZ - J) STOP
        ICN-FRA (OZ - F) 17.5hr layover
        FRA-YYC (LH - F)
        YYC-YEG (AC - Y)

All x2 PAX
        Due to LH deciding to switch out their 3-class plane on the YYC-FRA route this winter (shakes fist menacingly towards FRA), our original F class reward started to have a decidedly J class feel to it. OZ also switched out their 3-class 777 on ICN-FRA to a 3-class 744. We decided to stay with that flight rather than change too much of the routing.

Here's the new routing that we worked through, paid the change fee for and have seen the same trend of charges billed and refunds being slow.

YVR-SEA (AC - Y) -- gotta have a Dash8 segment to make it real
        SEA-FRA (LH - F)
        FRA-ZRH (LX - J) STOP
        ZRH-BKK (TG - F) STOP
        BKK-HKG (TG - F) 17.5hr layover
        HKG-ICN (OZ - J) STOP
        ICN-FRA (OZ - F) 17.5hr layover
        FRA-SEA (LH - F) 21hr layover
        SEA-YYC (AC - Y)
        YYC-YVR (AC - J)
        Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC SE
        Just booked:

YYZ-BOS (AC 3J)
        BOS-FRA (LH 3F)
        FRA-ATH (LH 3J)...<24h cnx
        ATH-IST (TK 3J) stop
        IST-BKK (TK 3F)
        BKK-HKT (TG 2J1Y) destination
        HKT-BKK (TG 2J1Y)...<24h cnx
        BKK-PEK (TG 2F/1J) stop
        PEK-ICN (OZ 3J)
        ICN-LAX (OZ 2F/1J)...<24h cnx
        LAX-YYZ (AC 3J)

In June/2011. Oh joy, only 10 more months of waiting!

Initial agent said (PEK/ICN/LAX/YYZ) was over mileage, but a quick click of the receiver and redial resolved that problem (next agent said it was an allowable routing, even though slightly over mileage). 11 segments total. When I called back to ask where my emailed itin was, they said they were having some issues as normally allowable limit was 10 segments, but they were putting through anyway. Last summer I was able to do 13 segments (was really hoping to beat the record this time!).
        Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: A Few
        Originally Posted by colinyyz
        Just booked:

YYZ-BOS (AC 3J)
        BOS-FRA (LH 3F)
        FRA-ATH (LH 3J)...<24h cnx
        ATH-IST (TK 3J) stop
        IST-BKK (TK 3F)
        BKK-HKT (TG 2J1Y) destination
        HKT-BKK (TG 2J1Y)...<24h cnx
        BKK-PEK (TG 2F/1J) stop
        PEK-ICN (OZ 3J)
        ICN-LAX (OZ 2F/1J)...<24h cnx
        LAX-YYZ (AC 3J)

In June/2011. Oh joy, only 10 more months of waiting!

Initial agent said (PEK/ICN/LAX/YYZ) was over mileage, but a quick click of the receiver and redial resolved that problem (next agent said it was an allowable routing, even though slightly over mileage). 11 segments total. When I called back to ask where my emailed itin was, they said they were having some issues as normally allowable limit was 10 segments, but they were putting through anyway. Last summer I was able to do 13 segments (was really hoping to beat the record this time!).
        Nice!

Check TG again for another J seat. TG often releases additional 'I' space on short haul/domestic routes after the first 2 are taken.
        Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE
        Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
        Nice!

Check TG again for another J seat. TG often releases additional 'I' space on short haul/domestic routes after the first 2 are taken.
        Thanks!

Interestingly enough, I noticed when I received the itins back from AE that the BKK/PEK HKT/BKK flights were confirmed in F (BKK/PEK) (and in J HKT/BKK), even though NH site didn't show availability. Perhaps this is what happened - good to know!
        Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Yukonprince
        I changed my mini RTW last week.

Now you'd think they could process a refund in a similar time frame as the charges...

BTW - I may not like it but I have no problem with Aeroplan charging $90 for the change fee. It is a published fee and they have always told me at the time I booked the original ticket that a $90 change fee is in effect.
              Refund was posted in my account six days after the change but the bank posted it three days later - so really not so bad as I thought!
              Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC, UA, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG, Hyatt
              Originally Posted by igloocoder
              Due to LH deciding to switch out their 3-class plane on the YYC-FRA route this winter ...
              I also got hit with this LH change and had to rebook through SEA to get an F seat, but there was no change fee because this was considered an involuntary sched change. Why did you have to pay a change fee?
              Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:56 pm

First time user

Hi guys and girls...,

I am new to this forum and also new to this Mini RTW concept. I was one of those clowns who thought that aeroplan was for booking a trip from YYZ to LHR and back. I now would love to book a mini RWT but have no idea on how to find all the flights I would need that could get me to my cities.|

I know you can make 2 stops plus a turnaround city. The cities I would like to visit are Sydney and Tokyo for sure, with one of either Istanbul, Dubai, or Bangkok.

Also I am debating, I have 220K points, I know most people on here book First class flights, I guess thats coded as a "J" flight at 120K pp. So i am not sure if I should just wait to collect 20K more points and take first class fights, or just book economy flights at 75K/pp? Booking economy will allow me to book right away and keep enough points to be half way to another mini rwt reward.

Any thoughts on what I should do and where I can find flights to match the cities I would like to visit??

I can use all the help i can get. Thank you all in advance for your feedback and thoughts...
              Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:11 am
              Original Poster

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

First, please go back to the first post in this thread, on page one. There you can find links to many helpful threads that will help you plan. This thread is not for questions, just for final bookings.

Thanks, and enjoy your travels!
              Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
              Originally Posted by djnas786
              Also I am debating, I have 220K points, I know most people on here book First class flights, I guess thats coded as a "J" flight at 120K pp.
              The 120K is for an Award in First Class. I believe it's 100K for one in Business

So i am not sure if I should just wait to collect 20K more points and take first class fights, or just book economy flights at 75K/pp? Booking economy will allow me to book right away and keep enough points to be half way to another mini rwt reward.
              It's never worth booking Economy long haul on points. That's a long way to sit in uncomfortable seats when for only a small premium you can fly in luxury -- and use the FCT in Frankfurt
              Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Academic
              and use the FCT in Frankfurt
              So.... how many rubber duckies have you collected so far ???

I have three "Mama" duckies and acquired two "Baby" duckies in the MUC F lounge on my recent mini RTW trip.

Last edited by Yukonprince; Aug 12, 2010 at 7:32 am
              Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
              Originally Posted by djnas786
              Hi guys and girls...,

I know you can make 2 stops plus a turnaround city. The cities I would like to visit are Sydney and Tokyo for sure, with one of either Istanbul, Dubai, or Bangkok.

Any thoughts on what I should do and where I can find flights to match the cities I would like to visit??
              To save you a bit of time, the only way so far (barring an agent mistake) to get Sydney and Tokyo in one trip is to go Canada-Tokyo-Singapore-Sydney on Singapore Airlines. Unfortunately, it is really tough to get premium seating on this airline!

You can get Tokyo, Bangkok, and Istanbul on one ticket easily enough, but if you add Dubai in, it pushes the mile cost a lot higher.

If you can avoid flying on Air Canada, you'll save yourself $$$ in fuel surcharges...other than that, it is definitely worth splurging on at least business class for this long a flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.