Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: SE 100K
On the topic of co-terminals... anyone often get pushback / trouble when booking with AE agents on the phone?

When booking my recent mini-RTW flying into GMP (stopping over x 5 days), and then out of ICN seemed to bamboozle them and they claimed by routing was "incredibly invalid".
After explaining the rules to them they managed to begrudgingly process it.

Just normal AE agent variability perhaps?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
On the topic of co-terminals... anyone often get pushback / trouble when booking with AE agents on the phone?

When booking my recent mini-RTW flying into GMP (stopping over x 5 days), and then out of ICN seemed to bamboozle them and they claimed by routing was "incredibly invalid".

Yeah, at least you didn't have to HUCA.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
There are plenty of co-terminals, though AE doesn't recognize all of them.

For the most part, co-terminals fall into two categories:

1) cities/regions with multiple airports
2) cities that, at least historically, had/have an int'l airport and an airport primarily used for domestic/regional flights

Some of the more useful ones:

YYZ/YTZ
EWR/JFK/LGA
IAD/DCA
LHR/LGW/LCY/STN/LTN
CDG/ORY
IST/SAW
NRT/HND
KIX/ITM
PVG/SHA
TPE/TSA
BKK/DMK

There are various other airports in the US that some, but not all airlines consider co-terminals, such as LAX/ONT, SFO/SJC, MIA/PBI.
MIA/FLL is considered co-terminals by Aeroplan but not MIA/PBI - they are too far apart. Not sure if PBI/FLL would be or not.
Our upcoming trip starts at MIA, return to FLL - it is treated as co-terminal so we have a total of 3 stops on the R/T. (I tried to have an overland between PER and SYD as some mentioned an overland within the destination would not be counted as OJ but agent said we would then need to return to MIA - not a problem but I am afraid the system would not validate the whole itinerary, given as much struggle the agent already had, I would rather not to "rock the boat" and kept PER as a pure Point of Turnaround instead.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

IME there's a direct relationship between the agent knowing the airports and the agent not making a fuss.

YYZ and YTZ - have never had an ssue whatsoever
GMP - half the agents have never heard of that airport

Sometimes it helps to gently "guide" the agent, e.g. "flying into Seoul, South Korea - airport ICN - on May 1; continuing onwards from the other airport in Seoul - GMP - on May 6" etc.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by aleks77
I have finally booked the honeymoon trip, not ideal but with less than 2 months to go, im happy with the results;

YVR-NRT - AC - Y (hoping to upgrade) - STOP
NRT-CAN - NH - J
CAN-ADD - ET - J
ADD-SEZ - ET - Y - Turnaround
SEZ-ADD - ET - J
ADD-NBO - ET - J - STOP
NBO-CAI - MS - J
CAI-IST - MS - J
IST-PRG - TK - J - 18 hour layover
PRG-ZRH - LX - J - 22 hour layover
ZRH-YVR - AC -Y (for now)

Total fees was $1700, not cheap, but considering I was willing to spend $1500 on 2 one-way cash tickets from NBO-SEZ, im really happy with the result.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out so much!
Been checking for weeks for a J - TPAC flight, and finally one came up!

YVR-LAX - AC - J
LAX-NRT - UA - J

even with the $210 charge to make the changes, came out with a $260 refund on fees/taxes.

Now i gotta keep looking for a TALT J flight from ZRH-YVR on the way back!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Hi,

Looking into the following trip for 2020, was hoping someone would be able to let me know if this is possible (current SE so hopefully helps making the booking).

YYZ-PEK (stop)
PEK-ICN
ICN-SYD (stop)
SYD-AKL (stop) will book side trip to Bora Bora from here
AKL-MEL
MEL-YVR
YVR-YYZ

Will be booking for 2 people in J.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
Hi,

Looking into the following trip for 2020, was hoping someone would be able to let me know if this is possible (current SE so hopefully helps making the booking).

YYZ-PEK (stop)
PEK-ICN
ICN-SYD (stop)
SYD-AKL (stop) will book side trip to Bora Bora from here
AKL-MEL
MEL-YVR
YVR-YYZ

Will be booking for 2 people in J.
YYZ-SYD MPM is 15480 and both sides are less than that so looks good!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles
Just wondering how strict is Aeroplan with MPM after the first segment of the itinerary has departed?

i've got a one-way HKG-CAI-IST-ZRH-YUL-YYZ at 10961 MPM, and the max permitted is at 10977.

Say, after i've departed from HKG and am at CAI or IST, if lottery strikes and LH F at FRA opens up, and I call in to change it to IST-FRA-DTW-YYZ, which would be over at 11345, Would Aeroplan actually still check the entire itinerary's MPM even some of the leg has already been taken?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:49 am

Does anyone see any issues with this itinerary for Mini RTW?

EWR - NRT (Open Jaw)
CTS - ICN (Stop)
ICN - TPE (Destination)
TPE - JFK (Return)

MPM for EWR-TPE is 10,959 according to Aeroplan site (using this method).
GCMapper distance for EWR-NRT-CTS-ICN-TPE is 9025, well under the MPM.

Does this work? Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Just browsing / thinking about my next mini-RTW...

Anyone ever creatively incorporated FAE?
I presume it has to be the destination of the itinerary since the only Star Alliance flights are to / from CPH?
As I await my SAS flight in FAE. Indeed there is only one flight a day, and it can't be incorporated as a stopover. But both SAS and Atlantic Airways are cheap from CPH, BGO and other Danish cities.

ps. Get here fast if you want any last remaining shred of authenticity, they are building a Hilton, sadly.
nnanlno likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000

EWR - NRT (Open Jaw)
CTS - ICN (Stop)
ICN - TPE (Destination)
TPE - JFK (Return)

Does this work? Thanks!
While there are cases of it apparently being allowed, open jaws typically are only permitted adjacent to the destination or origin. So your open jaw adjacent to a stopover could be a problem.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000

EWR - NRT (Open Jaw)
CTS - ICN (Stop)
ICN - TPE (Destination)
TPE - JFK (Return)

Does this work? Thanks!
Open-jaw is only allowed at the destination and uses up one of your stopovers, so you have both a stopover too many and an open-jaw at the wrong position. Allowed would be something like:

EWR-NRT /stop
NRT-ICN /open-jaw
TPE-JFK

Because icn-jfk is an unnecessary open-jaw because there's no easy way to do that, you might as well just include it and get your stopover back and do

EWR-NRT /stop
NRT-ICN / stop
ICN-TPE / destination
TPE-JFK

so instead of doing CTS-ICN direct like you presumably intended you'll just have to organize a NRT-CTS round-trip instead.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Open-jaw is only allowed at the destination and uses up one of your stopovers, so you have both a stopover too many and an open-jaw at the wrong position. Allowed would be something like:

EWR-NRT /stop
NRT-ICN /open-jaw
TPE-JFK

Because icn-jfk is an unnecessary open-jaw because there's no easy way to do that, you might as well just include it and get your stopover back and do

EWR-NRT /stop
NRT-ICN / stop
ICN-TPE / destination
TPE-JFK

so instead of doing CTS-ICN direct like you presumably intended you'll just have to organize a NRT-CTS round-trip instead.
Try NYC-HND-CTS, CTS-TPE on BR, TPE-ICN, ICN-NYC if ordering does not matter,

ANA flies out of HND to CTS. You may find flights out of CTS to ICN/GMP with connections other than TYO but these likely in Y.

I have a trip to CTS next February during the snow festival and there was very limited availability in Y (don’t bother trying to get J on domestic flights) between TYO and CTS using Aeroplan but lots of space using UA miles. I ended up booking HND-CTS for about C$133 O/W (special visit Japan fare on ANA when flying in on *A). This trip was not part of a mini RTW though, just throwing out some ideas.

Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by opentag
While there are cases of it apparently being allowed, open jaws typically are only permitted adjacent to the destination or origin. So your open jaw adjacent to a stopover could be a problem.
Thanks, missed that part before. Back to the drawing board.

Originally Posted by Smiley90

EWR-NRT /stop
NRT-ICN /open-jaw
TPE-JFK

EWR-NRT /stop
NRT-ICN / stop
ICN-TPE / destination
TPE-JFK

Thanks, did not do the math right.

Originally Posted by tobegold

Try NYC-HND-CTS, CTS-TPE on BR, TPE-ICN, ICN-NYC if ordering does not matter,

ANA flies out of HND to CTS. You may find flights out of CTS to ICN/GMP with connections other than TYO but these likely in Y.

I have a trip to CTS next February during the snow festival and there was very limited availability in Y (don’t bother trying to get J on domestic flights) between TYO and CTS using Aeroplan but lots of space using UA miles. I ended up booking HND-CTS for about C$133 O/W (special visit Japan fare on ANA when flying in on *A). This trip was not part of a mini RTW though, just throwing out some ideas.
Unfortunately order matters. Trying to save on fees and EVA from Taipei is a lot cheaper than anything from Seoul on the way back to the US.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Aaaaand this is getting enhanced away. Just received this email:

Multi-City Flight Reward Bookings
Beginning September 1, 2019, members can continue to make Flight Reward bookings to multiple cities, but they will be limited to a maximum of one stopover or one open jaw, in addition to the point-of-turnaround. As today, for travel within the same continent (except for travel wholly within North America**), one open jaw is permitted but stopovers are not permitted.

RIP. get all your bookings in before September 1st!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.