Mini RTW Questions

Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
AP's maximum permitted mileage isn't quite that easy (see the other thread on this on how to calculate it), so I'd just double-check that it's below what's allowed.

Also, the furthest point from EWR/JFK in your itinerary is TPE, so that will be your destination. So you need to check if your trip both ways is below what's allowed for EWR-TPE, meaning both:

TPE-JFK (obv will be)
and
EWR-NRT-ICN-CTS-TPE

need to be below permitted mileage.
Gotcha, yeah that was an oversight.

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
You have 1 too many stops. Also TPE is the destination, as that is the furthest stopover from EWR.

Not sure the relevance of 1.6x of direct miles. MPM is the only thing that matters.
Why do I have one too many stops? Assuming just bc TPE is destination and that would leave 3 stops on the way there when there is a max of 2. But if I re-ordered, it wouldn't be too many stops, right?

How do I get to MPM? I read 1.6x is the MPM rule roughly on a blog.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
Gotcha, yeah that was an oversight.

Why do I have one too many stops? Assuming just bc TPE is destination and that would leave 3 stops on the way there when there is a max of 2. But if I re-ordered, it wouldn't be too many stops, right?

How do I get to MPM? I read 1.6x is the MPM rule roughly on a blog.
There's another thread that details it, but here's the gist of it: https://princeoftravel.com/knowledge...e-aeroplan-mpm

(Not my blog)

You're allowed 2 stops + destination, currently your itinerary says you want to have stops in:

NRT
ICN
CTS
TPE

which is one too many. It's not 2 stops "per direction", it's 2 stops total, if that was the misunderstanding.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
There's another thread that details it, but here's the gist of it: https://princeoftravel.com/knowledge...e-aeroplan-mpm

(Not my blog)

You're allowed 2 stops + destination, currently your itinerary says you want to have stops in:

NRT
ICN
CTS
TPE

which is one too many. It's not 2 stops "per direction", it's 2 stops total, if that was the misunderstanding.
OOOOOH. I thought it was two per direction. My bad. Thank you.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles
A flight like MS961, HKG>BKK>CAI where the ticket sells as HKG to CAI on 1 flight number, in terms of MPM, would it count as HKG>CAI or HKG>BKK>CAI?

TIA.

Edit: called in and confirmed. MPM wise it's still HKG>CAI

Last edited by nnanlno; Jun 26, 2019 at 4:56 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
I am flying eva on 19th if July, seems like strike is extended to July 10th from the June 30th originally announced. What are my options? Will aeroplan/star alliance reroute me on another J flight?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
What's the rule for max segments on a one-way itinerary?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by cennis
I am flying eva on 19th if July, seems like strike is extended to July 10th from the June 30th originally announced. What are my options? Will aeroplan/star alliance reroute me on another J flight?
Discussed here: All about Eva (BR); AP numbers recognized, earning & award info, seat assignment

and Air Canada travel advisory found here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ys-strike.html

Short answer, you'll get re-accommodated.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
What's the rule for max segments on a one-way itinerary?
You may get some pushback at 10-12, and I think the theoretical maximum is 16.

MPM is the only thing that really matters, and you're likely going to hit into MPM/backtracking issues before you hit a segment limit.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You may get some pushback at 10-12, and I think the theoretical maximum is 16.

MPM is the only thing that really matters, and you're likely going to hit into MPM/backtracking issues before you hit a segment limit.
Wow I had no idea!! Giving up the two stopovers that come with a mRTW for a 20-30 segment round-trip sounds like something I just have to try...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
Wow I had no idea!! Giving up the two stopovers that come with a mRTW for a 20-30 segment round-trip sounds like something I just have to try...
16 is max per itinerary, whether its one way, or roundtrip.

Even a real RTW ticket only allows 16 segments.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
16 is max per itinerary, whether its one way, or roundtrip.

Even a real RTW ticket only allows 16 segments.
Right. I just booked a 13-segment mRTW with 2 stopovers. I'd rather have done a 26-segment mRTW with no stopovers (as two 13-segment one-ways).
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:47 pm

Honeymoon Planning - HELP with Business class mini RTW redemption and routing!!

Hi all,

I am planning my honeymoon with the to-be wife in Feb 2020. We have both been saving our miles to be able to do an mini RTW business class from YYZ. While our destination is still up for debate, we are thinking of Bali. However we are looking to maximize our mini RTW with stops in Portugal, Greece, Singapore, Egypt, Switzerland, Vietnam, etc etc. The wife has about 140,000 miles (should have the 160k needed shortly) saved while I have about 160,000.

I reached out to this awesome community to book my Toronto-Sydney RTW a few years back and was able to book a fantastic business routing avoiding AC metal and paying minimal taxes. I am hoping to do the same for the honeymoon.

Our dates are flexible in Feb, and we are looking to go for about 12 days including transit time. If anyone can make recommendations for segments and layovers in business (on an airline worth flying) to Bali with minimal fuel surcharges, I would be forever grateful.

Furthermore, if anyone has suggestions for alternate cultural-yet-honeymooning destinations in that area, Im all ears.

One little tidbit of info - I am 68. So even having flown business on a few airlines, some seats are just not comfortable because of my height. As an example, AC business seats have this little foot cubby that my feet dont fit in, and my height means my feet are squished in and pressed hard against the back of that little hole. Whereas Evas business was gloriously spacious.

This may be a lot to ask but your suggestions on destinations, airlines, and specific routings are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ibby; Jul 2, 2019 at 5:51 am Reason: Added detail
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Congrats on getting married!

A few notes:

1) Fuel surcharges ("YQ") to/from Asia aren't nearly as bad as they are to other destinations, I wouldn't necessarily make a non-YQ airline a "hard requirement"

2) When flying from YYZ to Southeast Asia, you can route both via the Pacific and the Atlantic (see the mini-RTW thread for examples)

3) Non-YQ airlines that I would recommend / consider include EVA, Turkish Airlines and Swiss. If you're lucky, also Singapore Airlines on intra-Asia routes and on the IST-SIN route.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Congrats on getting married!

A few notes:

1) Fuel surcharges ("YQ") to/from Asia aren't nearly as bad as they are to other destinations, I wouldn't necessarily make a non-YQ airline a "hard requirement"

2) When flying from YYZ to Southeast Asia, you can route both via the Pacific and the Atlantic (see the mini-RTW thread for examples)

3) Non-YQ airlines that I would recommend / consider include EVA, Turkish Airlines and Swiss. If you're lucky, also Singapore Airlines on intra-Asia routes and on the IST-SIN route.
Fantastic help! Thanks very much.

Its good to know the YQ is lower to S/E Asia. I will definitely check out the Mini RTW thread.

The internet tells me Singapore Airlines has the best J class... so if anyone can help me find a routing that includes it would be a great help! Can anyone speak for the quality of business class on Turkish or Asiana? I keep seeing those as options but havent flown them.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ibby
Hi all,

I am planning my honeymoon with the to-be wife in Feb 2020. We have both been saving our miles to be able to do an mini RTW business class from YYZ. While our destination is still up for debate, we are thinking of Bali. However we are looking to maximize our mini RTW with stops in Portugal, Greece, Singapore, Egypt, Switzerland, Vietnam, etc etc. The wife has about 140,000 miles (should have the 160k needed shortly) saved while I have about 160,000.

I reached out to this awesome community to book my Toronto-Sydney RTW a few years back and was able to book a fantastic business routing avoiding AC metal and paying minimal taxes. I am hoping to do the same for the honeymoon.

Our dates are flexible in Feb, and we are looking to go for about 12 days including transit time. If anyone can make recommendations for segments and layovers in business (on an airline worth flying) to Bali with minimal fuel surcharges, I would be forever grateful.

Furthermore, if anyone has suggestions for alternate cultural-yet-honeymooning destinations in that area, I’m all ears.

One little tidbit of info - I am 6’8”. So even having flown business on a few airlines, some seats are just not comfortable because of my height. As an example, AC business seats have this little foot cubby that my feet don’t fit in, and my height means my feet are squished in and pressed hard against the back of that little hole. Whereas Eva’s business was gloriously spacious.

This may be a lot to ask but your suggestions on destinations, airlines, and specific routings are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
My wife and I went on a mini-RTW for our honeymoon, as well as another for our babymoon. We took 2.5 and 3 weeks off for these trips. Trust me, you don't want the 24 hour connections. You'll want to spend your time in Bali, or at most, one other destination.

If you are travelling in Feb, stopping in Switzerland will mean you'll need to pack cold weather clothes (in addition to your beach wear).

Throwing in Egypt will be a pain because you are eating up a lot of your MPM allowance for a country that may or may not have a travel advisory in place when you fly.

My suggestions would be to pick either Portugal/Greece or Vietnam as your stopover and focus on those 2 locations. If you are only using 12 days as your length, you are losing 1.5 days on each end for the travel. Plus if you include a stopover, that's another day between travel to the airport, clearing security, collecting your bags, going to the hotel etc. All of a sudden your 12 day honeymoon is down to 8 days of actual vacation. If you have an IRROPS situation, do you really want to be spending your honeymoon in some random airport halfway around the world instead of on a beach?

Simply put:

- Go for the simplest itinerary; avoid needless connections
- Focus on airlines with exemplary service - YQ is secondary - you'll want to remember the experience, not that you saved $280 in taxes
- Have fun!

Here's a link to the honeymoon blog: https://halasirtw.blogspot.com/2011/ (note that most of the details are quite dated)

Our actual itinerary

Last edited by DaveTO; Jul 2, 2019 at 7:22 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.