Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Any ideas of a mini rtw from YYJ that could include LH510? Probably wishful thinking!
I'd tend to argue that's impossible.

From YYJ, the destination with the highest MPM likely is in Southern Africa. If SA still operated EZE-JNB, there *might* be a valid routing, but the detour via GRU puts any itinerary I can think of 5%-10% over MPM. Similarly, if there were a non-stop between South America and CPT, it may be valid. But given the very limited number of flights, I can't think of any viable option.

If we broaden the parameters to include any ex-Canada departure, something along the lines of YYT-LHR-FRA-EZE-AKL-PER *may* be within MPM (or at least very, very close).
Nitehawk and asovse1 like this.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Jun 17, 2019 at 12:31 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: hahaha
Might be a bit paranoid, but...

After booking our MRTW in April for January 2020 departure, I thought it was all done and dandy. Then browsing this thread every now and then I got some "oh yeah I forgot about this" moments that I've been making a list of:
  • We gotta choose our seats
  • Closer to departure we get to choose our meals
  • Sometimes the ticket won't actually have confirmed segments (sounds scary)
I'm most worried about the third one, which in turn has made me paranoid because I'm not able to accomplish seat selection at all. So we have a booking reference for Air Canada after calling Aeroplan to book. When we input it into AC.com we also get booking references for ET, AI, and TK. The booking references don't load on AI's and TK's site (invalid booking ref) and ET's site barely loads past our itinerary (lots of errors). Since we're also flying TP and NH, manually entering the 014 ticket number doesn't pull up our itinerary at all. I'm guessing we can already choose our seats, but given that none of these sites pull up our itinerary, we can't do it at all!

How do we check that our segments are actually confirmed? On the Aeroplan ticket .pdf, the status for each segment is "CONFIRMED". Is that enough? We also have a YEG-YYZ 7M8 segment that literally gets a schedule change every second week, so do we need to make sure the ticket is still intact and CONFIRMED every time we get an itinerary change?

As for seat selection, is there any way we can pick seats given the airlines' websites won't load once we enter our booking ref? Would we have to call in and read our ticket number, or are we just wasting our time?

Sorry if this seems paranoid, I'd just rather fix things up with our multi-segment booking now if there's a problem (and while there's still J space!)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Mini RTW Question

Updated routing:

Fredericton - Auckland - Perth - (either in order of preference) Amsterdam/Brussels/London - Fredericton

Is this possible and if so any routing that must be done.

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

if it’s a connection, it’s not relevant to determining the destination or MPM.
Really? News to me. I thought that your farthest point always had to be your destination to prevent gaming the system, since your farthest point is usually a zone farther away, and therefore more expensive...

Originally Posted by Yukonprince
Updated routing:

Fredericton - Auckland - Perth - (either in order of preference) Amsterdam/Brussels/London - Fredericton

Thanks!
You'd have to fly to Montreal or Toronto as your first leg to really get going.

Check this site, filter by "Star Alliance" for a list of available flights.

https://www.flightconnections.com/
nnanlno likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Rykoshet
Really? News to me. I thought that your farthest point always had to be your destination to prevent gaming the system, since your farthest point is usually a zone farther away, and therefore more expensive...
Nah, further-point connections are definitely a thing. Like flying YYZ-IST-LHR for Europe 1 price, or YYZ-CAI-ATH for Europe 2 price. The system can very much be gamed.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Yukonprince
Updated routing:

Thanks!
MPM for YFC-PER is 18356. So your routing to and from PER can not exceed that. Anything that fits within that mileage is valid.

You'll be more limited on the way to PER, than home, but for example yfc-yyz-lax-nrt-akl-per is a valid routing on the way to PER with total mileage = 17,082 . For the way home per-sin-bkk-zrh-lhr-yyz-yfc is also valid with total milesage of 13,636 miles....lots of room to change this up.

Use Great Circle Mapper to enter routings to get total mileage.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Rykoshet
Correct, assuming the furthest point is a stop >24 hours. Otherwise how could it be the destination?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by asovse1
Might be a bit paranoid, but...

How do we check that our segments are actually confirmed? On the Aeroplan ticket .pdf, the status for each segment is "CONFIRMED". Is that enough? We also have a YEG-YYZ 7M8 segment that literally gets a schedule change every second week, so do we need to make sure the ticket is still intact and CONFIRMED every time we get an itinerary change?

As for seat selection, is there any way we can pick seats given the airlines' websites won't load once we enter our booking ref? Would we have to call in and read our ticket number, or are we just wasting our time?
Doesn't hurt to be paranoid. If you're not able to access the reservation via the airline's website, I would call each one to ensure everything is OK...including confirming the ticket # they have on file.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I'd tend to argue that's impossible.

From YYJ, the destination with the highest MPM likely is in Southern Africa. If SA still operated EZE-JNB, there *might* be a valid routing, but the detour via GRU puts any itinerary I can think of 5%-10% over MPM. Similarly, if there were a non-stop between South America and CPT, it may be valid. But given the very limited number of flights, I can't think of any viable option.

If we broaden the parameters to include any ex-Canada departure, something along the lines of YYT-LHR-FRA-EZE-AKL-PER *may* be within MPM (or at least very, very close).
What if I expand my parameters to be any mini rtw originating from anywhere.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How many continents do you want to hit? This was my first attempt, first dates I chose, and it didn't even need IKK.

Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
We were planning a trip in Jan/2020, originally with
YYZ-TPE stop
TPE-SGN stop
SGN-SIN-SYD Destination
SYD-LAX-SFO-YYZ (no better routing to get back to YYZ)

For YYZ-TPE, the YYZ-ORD-TPE or YYZ-IAH-TPE disappeared. The only thing left is YYZ-VIE-TPE, but would that be valid?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
We were planning a trip in Jan/2020, originally with
YYZ-TPE stop
TPE-SGN stop
SGN-SIN-SYD Destination
SYD-LAX-SFO-YYZ (no better routing to get back to YYZ)

For YYZ-TPE, the YYZ-ORD-TPE or YYZ-IAH-TPE disappeared. The only thing left is YYZ-VIE-TPE, but would that be valid?
MPM for YYZ-SYD is 15480 miles. Your outbound routing is 15865, so not valid. AFAIK, Aeroplan doesn't have any grace with mileage vs MPM.

If you route via Europe, BKK instead of TPE would be OK. Other options could be via NRT instead of TPE.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
MPM for YYZ-SYD is 15480 miles. Your outbound routing is 15865, so not valid. AFAIK, Aeroplan doesn't have any grace with mileage vs MPM.

If you route via Europe, BKK instead of TPE would be OK. Other options could be via NRT instead of TPE.
Thanks for the quick reply. We needed to go to TPE. We could take out SGN, but that is still over the MPM.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Any particular reason you seem obsessed with the FRA-EZE flight?

An itinerary along the lines of FRA (Europe) - EZE - AKL (New Zealand / Australia) - Asia - Europe would definitely be valid.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
Thanks for the quick reply. We needed to go to TPE. We could take out SGN, but that is still over the MPM.
Sorry - didn't pay attention to the fact you wanted to stop in TPE. Unfortunatly TPE from Europe is a bit of a detour. What about an intermediate TPAC stop on the way to TPE? ICN or NRT/HND?

Or through one of EVA's other gateways: YVR/SEA/LAX/SFO
yscleo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.