Mini RTW Questions

Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:49 pm

IST works for a mini RTW. Don't think you'll have enough mileage to backtrack through VIE.
Any eastbound routings south of HKG will put you over MPM.
IST-HKG space is hard to find though.
I've done IST-ICN-YVR. Beware the fuel surcharges.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tracon
IST works for a mini RTW. Don't think you'll have enough mileage to backtrack through VIE.
Any eastbound routings south of HKG will put you over MPM.
IST-HKG space is hard to find though.
I've done IST-ICN-YVR. Beware the fuel surcharges.
Thanks for the response. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't track how this would work. Believe MPM for YVR-IST is 9920. When I check the mileage for IST-HKG-YVR I get 11,375 - wouldn't that make it an invalid route?
When you did IST-ICN-YVR was IST your destination? I get 10,266 for the mileage on that route - again beyond the 9920 YVR-IST MPM. Or do I have the YVR-IST MPM number wrong?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Fredericton - Auckland (stop) - Perth (stop) + European stop

Is it possible to stop in Europe on a mini rtw routing like this please?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Yukonprince
Is it possible to stop in Europe on a mini rtw routing like this please?
Generally yes, but you need the exact routing youre taking in order to determine validity.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by opentag
Thanks for the response. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't track how this would work. Believe MPM for YVR-IST is 9920. When I check the mileage for IST-HKG-YVR I get 11,375 - wouldn't that make it an invalid route?
When you did IST-ICN-YVR was IST your destination? I get 10,266 for the mileage on that route - again beyond the 9920 YVR-IST MPM. Or do I have the YVR-IST MPM number wrong?
It's been several years since I did IST-ICN-YVR. Maybe it was back in the day of MPM5.
GCMap shows IST-ICN-YVR as 10,043.

IST-LAX MPM is 11,387.
Great Circle Mapper
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Why not do YVR-NBO or YVR-SEZ like that guy was doing 2 weeks ako. It's about 14k MPM.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
Why not do YVR-NBO or YVR-SEZ like that guy was doing 2 weeks ako. It's about 14k MPM.
that would be 25k x3 in Y and 40k x3 in J more expensive, though it would greatly increase MPM for the OP.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:30 am

Why not do YVR-NBO or YVR-SEZ like that guy was doing 2 weeks ago. It's about 14k MPM.
Yes an African destination would increase the MPM of course (JNB is great for YVR) but we won't have the extra miles needed for this trip with J x3.

It looks like the only way to make this happen (YVR-Europe 2 returning via Asia) is to make ATH the destination (10097 MPM) and return ATH-IST-PEK-YVR. That return leg at 10034 *just* stays under the MPM. Not thrilled about the YQ we might face with that PEK-YVR final segment on AC but I'm never clear on the scamcharge rules and hoping it doesn't hammer us.

Anyway, going to try for YVR-SFO(UA)-ZRH(LX)-ZRH-CDG(LX)[Stop]-BRU(SN)-FCO(SN)[Stop]-CAI(MS)-ATH(A3)[Dest]-IST(TK)-PEK(TK)-YVR(AC) in J and see what the fees look like!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Yes an African destination would increase the MPM of course (JNB is great for YVR) but we won't have the extra miles needed for this trip with J x3.

It looks like the only way to make this happen (YVR-Europe 2 returning via Asia) is to make ATH the destination (10097 MPM) and return ATH-IST-PEK-YVR. That return leg at 10034 *just* stays under the MPM. Not thrilled about the YQ we might face with that PEK-YVR final segment on AC but I'm never clear on the scamcharge rules and hoping it doesn't hammer us.

Anyway, going to try for YVR-SFO(UA)-ZRH(LX)-ZRH-CDG(LX)[Stop]-BRU(SN)-FCO(SN)[Stop]-CAI(MS)-ATH(A3)[Dest]-IST(TK)-PEK(TK)-YVR(AC) in J and see what the fees look like!
You will pay for ATH-YVR scamcharge as if it was an AC TATL flight.
Most likely calculated with an origin of YVR ($510pp)

Can you not do PEK-YVR on CA to save some money?

Also, are you sure they will not use PEK as your destination? It being furthest point for your trip from YVR?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You will pay for ATH-YVR scamcharge as if it was an AC TATL flight.
Most likely calculated with an origin of YVR ($510pp)

Can you not do PEK-YVR on CA to save some money?

Also, are you sure they will not use PEK as your destination? It being furthest point for your trip from YVR?
That's what I was worried about for the scamcharges with that last leg on AC.

We could go on CA though the reviews I've seen seem to indicate it's not a great J experience for a long haul flight.

Pretty sure ATH is actually further away from YVR than PEK is but we'd only be laying over in PEK anyway, not stopping, so it shouldn't end up getting calculated as the destination.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue

We could go on CA though the reviews I've seen seem to indicate it's not a great J experience for a long haul flight.

Pretty sure ATH is actually further away from YVR than PEK is but we'd only be laying over in PEK anyway, not stopping, so it shouldn't end up getting calculated as the destination.
The layover vs. destination doesn't matter for calculating your end point, it's always your furthest point. But you're right as YVR-ATH is further than YVR-PEK, it shouldn't matter.

Last edited by Rykoshet; Jun 17, 2019 at 5:07 pm
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC 75K
The layover vs. destination doesn't matter for calculating your end point, it's always your furthest point. But you're right as YVR-ATH is further than YVR-PEK, it shouldn't matter.
if its a connection, its not relevant to determining the destination or MPM.
Rykoshet likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM

I can't think of any way AC would be worth $500pp over CA. BR, NH over CA, sure, AC... no way.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
Any ideas of a mini rtw from YYJ that could include LH510? Probably wishful thinking!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Any ideas of a mini rtw from YYJ that could include LH510? Probably wishful thinking!
I don't think anything other than South Africa has any chance of working, but even that seems like a stretch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.