Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
So I just want to confirm before I HUCA multiple times...there's nothing wrong with a completely nonsense routing as long as you stay within the MPM and 2 stops 1 turnaround rules, right?

Like zig-zagging all across europe (ZRH-ARN-CPH-ATH-CAI-IST) on your way to FCO for your first stopover, rather than flying direct.

Last edited by Rykoshet; May 11, 2019 at 5:41 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by aznfreak007
For a BKK-YVR-YYZ-YUL (POT)-YYZ (stop)-YYC (stop)-BKK ticket, I'm assuming this ticket get 2 complimentary checked baggages for the entire trip including the domestic segments?

depending which rule is applied to your ticket (most significant carrier or first marketing segment), you will get at least 1 checked baggage for the entire journey, since it's a ticket from international destination to Canada. you will need to figure the exact routing and carrier to figure that out. or the allowance info should be embedded in the ticket.

How about for a YYC-YYZ-YUL (POT)-YYZ (stop)-YYC? Is there 1 complimentary checked baggage?

no, 0 bag. no free lunch for domestic award.
Originally Posted by asovse1
A slim exception is that the first bag is usually free on awards for Aeroplan branded credit card holders
OK. From my past experience and what I've read somewhere, people with TD AP Infinite Visa sometimes have trouble getting into MLL or getting a complimentary checked bag when on an AP award ticket.

After booking the AP award ticket, we're supposed to call either AP or AC to make sure the Visa is somehow linked to the AP award ticket?
Old May 11, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
So I just want to confirm before I HUCA multiple times...there's nothing wrong with a completely nonsense routing as long as you stay within the MPM and 2 stops 1 turnaround rules, right?

Like zig-zagging all across europe (ZRH-ARN-CPH-ATH-CAI-IST) on your way to FCO for your first stopover, rather than flying direct.
Correct. As long as you’ve figured out your destination and associated MPM, correctly, you can do whatever you want.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

Living up to your nickname, huh?

No problem as long as within MPM and a collaborative agent.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Living up to your nickname, huh?

No problem as long as within MPM and a collaborative agent.
Just catching up on the travel I missed out earlier in life. I got a great agent and we nearly booked this monstrosity, but AP is again showing phantom availability, this time on key SQ routes. Between that and NZ never releasing reward seats in business, it makes routing Australia/NZ very hard.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
yes, but why Each of these cities will cost like $50 in tax just to transit, and it will all be euro-biz coach seating except for maybe TK.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
yes, but why Each of these cities will cost like $50 in tax just to transit, and it will all be euro-biz coach seating except for maybe TK.
I dunno, mostly to say I did. And it helps structure the trip better than a weeklong rail pass.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by rankourabu
23hrs in a city you've never been to is better than nothing!
Old May 12, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by seks
OK. From my past experience and what I've read somewhere, people with TD AP Infinite Visa sometimes have trouble getting into MLL or getting a complimentary checked bag when on an AP award ticket.

After booking the AP award ticket, we're supposed to call either AP or AC to make sure the Visa is somehow linked to the AP award ticket?
Not sure who you call to be honest, perhaps someone else here can chime in. If you've ever seen AC*CC on your boarding pass in the past (or on a future AC trip prior to your mRTW) then it'll work!
Old May 12, 2019, 6:44 am

There are lots of SQ J phantom fares (eg, FCO-SIN) that disappear when you try to book. They have availability in Economy. Any experience if it's better to book it in Economy and hope for the best (flying in Nov) or if I should re-route the trip.

I'd much rather fly the SQ A350 than a TK 777 long-haul personally.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
There are lots of SQ J phantom fares (eg, FCO-SIN) that disappear when you try to book. They have availability in Economy. Any experience if it's better to book it in Economy and hope for the best (flying in Nov) or if I should re-route the trip.

I'd much rather fly the SQ A350 than a TK 777 long-haul personally.
Do not “hope for the best” with SQ - barring a few mistake filings they did in the past, they never release their premium award space on routes that matter. And I’d much rather be in TK J than SQ Y.

I think there’s potentially some SIN - NZ availability in J sometimes - maybe CHC or something. Try to look. I know SQ F came up at one point.
Twickenham likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Do not “hope for the best” with SQ - barring a few mistake filings they did in the past, they never release their premium award space on routes that matter. And I’d much rather be in TK J than SQ Y.

I think there’s potentially some SIN - NZ availability in J sometimes - maybe CHC or something. Try to look. I know SQ F came up at one point.
Thanks.

I am seeing SIN-AKL a few times, but as my turnaround point is PER and NZ is even stingier with their J space then SQ, I'm unable to take advantage of it. I've searched far and wide for all the usual NZ routings (CHC, WLG, AKL, DUN) into PER, SYD, MEL, and BNE and there's nothing.

I had perfect yyz-yul-zrh-arn-cph-ath-cai-ist-fco-sin-per-sin-dps-bkk-icn-tpe-yyz itinerary lined up, which is great because at FCO, my first stop, I'd fly home for 4 months, then fly back months later to continue the journey. I can drop a leg and make IST the turnaround to allow for an IST-JKT-SIN routing which is available in J, but flights home from IST are much more expensive than from FCO, and I really want to spend a few days in Rome.

Back to the drawing board
Old May 12, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks.

I am seeing SIN-AKL a few times, but as my turnaround point is PER and NZ is even stingier with their J space then SQ, I'm unable to take advantage of it. I've searched far and wide for all the usual NZ routings (CHC, WLG, AKL, DUN) into PER, SYD, MEL, and BNE and there's nothing.

I had perfect yyz-yul-zrh-arn-cph-ath-cai-ist-fco-sin-per-sin-dps-bkk-icn-tpe-yyz itinerary lined up, which is great because at FCO, my first stop, I'd fly home for 4 months, then fly back months later to continue the journey. I can drop a leg and make IST the turnaround to allow for an IST-JKT-SIN routing which is available in J, but flights home from IST are much more expensive than from FCO, and I really want to spend a few days in Rome.

Back to the drawing board
Maybe don't return to NA direct from IST? I've seen SAW-FCO for as little as $70CAD.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:00 am

I am undecided on this....What does people think, would you take an economy flight if it means getting into a location 7 hours earlier, and save about $600 in surcharge?

I am trying to book a YYZ to DPS this christmas. I am able to find a Biz tickets with YYZ-MUC-IST-DPS, with Turkish Air, but that gets me into DPS at 7pm.
However, I can also go YYZ-Shanghai on Biz with Air Canada, then Shanghai to Singaore with Singapore Air, on Economy (5 hour flight), then Singapore to DPS on Singapore Air on Biz, which gets me to DPS at 11am, giving me almost a full day in DPS. Where as Turkish Air I am 'wasting' my first full day.

Also, the Shanghai to Singapore flight is at midnight.....a part of me just want to suck it up, and take the economy and sleep through the 5 hours.???
Old May 12, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Commie
I am undecided on this....What does people think, would you take an economy flight if it means getting into a location 7 hours earlier, and save about $600 in surcharge?

I am trying to book a YYZ to DPS this christmas. I am able to find a Biz tickets with YYZ-MUC-IST-DPS, with Turkish Air, but that gets me into DPS at 7pm.
However, I can also go YYZ-Shanghai on Biz with Air Canada, then Shanghai to Singaore with Singapore Air, on Economy (5 hour flight), then Singapore to DPS on Singapore Air on Biz, which gets me to DPS at 11am, giving me almost a full day in DPS. Where as Turkish Air I am 'wasting' my first full day.

Also, the Shanghai to Singapore flight is at midnight.....a part of me just want to suck it up, and take the economy and sleep through the 5 hours.???
Would you pay $600 for an e-up? I wouldn't. If you have an Amex card or status so you can drunk at the lounge beforehand, it will make the economy bearable.

Nothing BKK-DPS available on Thai? Or TPE-DPS on EVA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.