Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Vaguswarrior
1. Oh good, I am a bit nervous about the MPM, as I couldn't find any listing for LAX->SIN/CGK and the weird return routing through PEK seemed a lot of backtracking.

2. Thank you so much! I am glad I asked about that then!

5. Honestly most of this was just what I could find for availability, I didn't seem much availability from Eva Air. And I was really just using the AP site to find routes. I have a KVS tool and Diamond subscription but I have no idea how to make the software work lol!
would love to change the return leg, honestly I don't foresee myself accumulating many miles anytime soon, the 430k I have took nearly 6-7 years to gather. And I really would like to use them all up as I'm nervous if AC will change the ability to mini-RTW when they take over. So I'm happy to burn the miles in one lump go. I'd love to do a true RTW but my wife and I only have 2 1/2 weeks of vacation time to play with, so this is what we kinda came up with. I'd love to try NH as a product but I can't really leave the booking till 2 weeks out. Perhaps a few weeks before the trip I'll look for NH availability.
Fair point. I strongly recommend to pay the change fee (and the associated fuel surcharge) to switch to NH. That’s a real first class product on a Skytrax 5-star airline. Might have to change routing (their gateways are LAX, SFO, IAH, ORD, JFK) but it’ll be worth it.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

From LAX, CGK is your POT not SIN. Your MPM will need to adjust accordingly...although I suspect it would increase vs decrease.
Isn't the POT the furthest stop in your journey? CGK looks to be just a layover?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:29 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
From LAX CGK is farther than SIN.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Isn't the POT the furthest stop in your journey? CGK looks to be just a layover?
Yes, you’re right. Didn’t pay enough attention to see that CGK was just a connection.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:23 am

Looking into the WJ side, I'm not really finding favorable fairs to LAX.

What would the impact be if I started and ended with a YEG->YVR->LAX and LAX->YVR->YEG on AC? I'm not sure if I'd gain or lose MPM or if it'd be a wash. We really want to have at least 12-18 hours in LAX due to seeing a close friend. But if it's not possible, I'm wary of doing the YVR->ICN since it's mostly AC metal that I saw and I don't want really high YQ.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:40 am

Apologies for the multiple posts, so I went to call AP to see if they could validate the routing. However, the agent wouldn't even let me pick segments he said, just give me the origin and destination and any stop overs and I'll find the route. I said that I had researched my segments, and wanted specific flights on specific dates and he said he can't do that.

Has there been a change or did I just get a bad agent? I'm going to call again tomorrow regardless.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Vaguswarrior
Apologies for the multiple posts, so I went to call AP to see if they could validate the routing. However, the agent wouldn't even let me pick segments he said, just give me the origin and destination and any stop overs and I'll find the route. I said that I had researched my segments, and wanted specific flights on specific dates and he said he can't do that.

Has there been a change or did I just get a bad agent? I'm going to call again tomorrow regardless.
Call again. Many agents don’t want to be bothered.
rankourabu and flyer05 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:50 am

Any suggestions on how to handle a 24 hour layover in Istanbul from from about 7:30am to 7:00am? The migration to the new airport caught us off guard.
I'm thinking of leaving our gear at left luggage, bus it into town, check out the sights until ~midnight, taxi it back to the airport, and just wander around until the lounge opens. Not sure if there's value in getting a hotel that night. There seems to be a number of layover tours but I'm not sure if they cover everything what we want to do (namely enjoying the activity in and around Istiklal at night).
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Jay71
Any suggestions on how to handle a 24 hour layover in Istanbul from from about 7:30am to 7:00am? The migration to the new airport caught us off guard.
I'm thinking of leaving our gear at left luggage, bus it into town, check out the sights until ~midnight, taxi it back to the airport, and just wander around until the lounge opens. Not sure if there's value in getting a hotel that night. There seems to be a number of layover tours but I'm not sure if they cover everything what we want to do (namely enjoying the activity in and around Istiklal at night).
I would still join the tour, it pays for all your entry fees to the sights and provides transport into town, you can ditch it at anytime, and stay in town as long as you like, and taxi back
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
I just did a RTW booking for my wife and I. I called Brussels Airlines about seat assignment, they said there is a fee. Last year when we flew SN, I called and got seat assignment no charge. Is this correct that SN charges this? I got seat assignment calling ET, and can pick/change seats online with UA and LH (and AC), no charge.

==
We were given PNRs for SN/LH/OZ, they are supposed to be the same as they all use Amadeus. But when I try to log onto Asian website (to get seat assignment) it keeps asking for 8-character or 6-digit reservation number. The 6-char PNR did not work. When I tried to call Asiana 800-227-4262 reservations, it kept saying they are receiving extremely high volume of calls, good buy. Is there any way to find out Asiana's 8-letter booking number?

Edit: I kept calling OZ, and eventually the office is closed and my call got routed to Korea. The rep was able to help me get seating. I got upper deck of A380 for OZ542 (FRA-ICN). Also got the 8-digit booking reference from her. But when I tried to log on with the 8-digit booking codes, they still don't work.

Last edited by yscleo; Apr 10, 2019 at 7:52 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Noobie question re: MPM;

Does an entire mini-RTW itinerary (A > B > C > D > A) have to fall under the MPM?

Or simply each direction to and from the destination?
ie) A > B > C and then C > D > A must each separately / respectively must fall under the MPM?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
The second.
MPM is each side of the destination.
So outbound A - B - C must be <MPM & return C - D - E - A also <MPM.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:08 pm

Much appreciated. Trying to piece together my first mRTW for June (short notice, I know).

Couple more questions;

SQ award space - is it possible to find this with Aeroplan ever? Or only using Krisflyer?

Surcharges; I know AC / LH are particularly bad. Is this still the case for AC transcon J redemptions? ie.) YVR - SFO / LAX / YYZ / YUL

Last edited by CanadianMike; Apr 10, 2019 at 9:29 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Much appreciated. Trying to piece together my first mRTW for June (short notice, I know).
Couple more questions;
SQ award space - is it possible to find this with Aeroplan ever? Or only using Krisflyer?
Surcharges; I know AC / LH are particularly bad. Is this still the case for AC transcon J redemptions? ie.) YVR - SFO / LAX / YYZ / YUL
1. No, SQ is very easy within Asia, and some longhaul routes that are not on 77W, 388, 359. Y always available
2. $27-$42 for north american AC routes - often forgotten if combined with a longhaul non-scamcharge carrier
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:55 am

Thanks again.

Last one (for now); best search strategy?
I've done a fair bit of reading and it seems the segment by segment approach is how most are constructed.
Aeroplan search engine, United, and any others to try? ANA?

Or if no availability showing on those 2 or 3 then probably doesn't exist?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.