Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:56 pm

Look for individual flights and try to string something together. Then call Aeroplan. Alternatively, you can subscribe to something like ExpertFlyer (I think they have a free trial) and search with them (can avoid searching flight by flight possibly.

I did this trip 10 years ago from YEG about 10 years ago, prior to EVA joining *A. I stopped in TYO and SIN on the way. My trip was with. AC, NH and SQ.

Good luck!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by AnonyMouse123
My only question is whether the trip from HKG to TPE would be eligible as it's sort of a sideways trip that might seem sort of out of the way. Traditionally, HKG would be the connecting flight before flying to PER.
Twice I've flown to BCN on AE tickets. Once was via IST, and the second was via WAW. Compared to those, your HKG-TPE-PER itinerary is quite straightforward. As long as you're under MPM, you should be good.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AnonyMouse123 Welcome to FT

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am in the enviable position of having a lot of Aeroplan points - technically, a lot of Amex points that could be converted into Aeroplan points, so please correct me if I'm going about this the wrong way. My ultimate goal is to get 2 business class tickets from YYJ or YVR (I could easily make the trip from YYJ to YVR if starting from YYJ proves impossible) to PER, and back. Ideally, I would like to stop in HKG, and TPE, such that my itinerary is:
  • YYJ/YVR --> HKG
  • HKG --> TPE
  • TPE --> PER
<snip>
I cannot see any airlines that fly TPE - PER non stop.
PER airport infoBKK, SIN & HKG may be Star Alliance options.
Also consider starting from SEA Seattle.

Other ffp's/alliances may offer more options than Air Canada/Aeroplan/Star Alliance

Route--> http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=YYJ-YVR...SU=kts&RS=best

A very general award guide-->https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=YYJ&f...=0&c=j&s=2&p=0

Another PER award thread--->What's the best way to get from Seattle to Perth using points?

Edit.
Thread now merged into the massive RTW thread
AnonyMouse123 Do you want to go RTW or just YVR-PER return?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 17, 2019 at 12:13 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:39 am

UPDATE: With some more research, it seems easier to make the origin from SEA.

MPM is 14811 for SEA <--> PER

EVA has a better direct flight from SEA --> HKG, and then I'll take a HKG --> PER via Singapore Airlines.

This also avoids Air Canada and saves quite a bit in taxes.

Will update here as things evolve.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:55 am

Thanks for your help everyone. I successfully booked with Aeroplan over the phone. Had to call in, but including hold times, I only spent 40 min.

The key was to be prepared with the specific dates and flight details, have Aeroplan miles ready in the account (transfer from Amex first), and then have the passenger details handy.

To recap, flying from SEA --> PER as the origin and destination, respectively.
  • On the way there, stop in HKG.
  • On the way back, stop in BKK.
All for a very reasonable cost in taxes + booking fees all in ~$600 CAD. Buying a comparable flight in business class currently costs >$15,600 CAD.

Flight legs, for those that want to recreate this in the future:
  • SEA --> TPE --> HKG
  • STOP
  • HKG --> SIN --> PER
  • STOP
  • PER --> BKK
  • STOP
  • BKK --> TPE --> SEA
What I learned from this is:
  • YVR is not a great spot for direct flights to HKG, unless you want to fly Air Canada, which has a hefty tax.
  • Air Canada is rarely worth flying on, even with Aeroplan, because of the taxes.
  • BKK and SIN are great hubs for a layover or transfer
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
your routing also doesn't have a direct flight SEA-HKG, you're still transferring in TPE... if you consider layovers then YVR-HKG has several very attractive non-AC options, which I personally would definitely prefer over having to drive to Tacoma and parking there or taking the bus.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your help everyone. I successfully booked with Aeroplan over the phone. Had to call in, but including hold times, I only spent 40 min.
<snip>
  • YVR is not a great spot for direct flights to HKG, unless you want to fly Air Canada, which has a hefty tax.
  • Air Canada is rarely worth flying on, even with Aeroplan, because of the taxes.
Please do not confuse taxes with carrier imposed surcharges (100% airline-ffp profit)
Real government/authority taxes are the same for every airline flying the same route/class of travel. Sometimes a carrier surcharge can result in a small additional real tax if the flight changes from a non revenue to revenue trip.

Enjoy Perth & WA ^ (Been their before?)

++++++++++++++++++
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;
My first time looking into this award type. It seems PER is a popular destination, why? I don't see many routes to SYD. Is NZ possible with a m-RTW?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fenix8o0
My first time looking into this award type. It seems PER is a popular destination, why?
I don't see many routes to SYD. Is NZ possible with a m-RTW?
Forget about getting a reward flight on Air NZ. Air NZ are know to be extra stingy with awards.
UA fly LAX-AKL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch_Airport

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia
  • American Airlines AA (LAX - SYD) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
  • Air Canada AC (YVR – SYD BNE MEL) [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO ORD IAH YVR via AKL) [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX – via Tahiti & AKL. Last segments on QF codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
  • Delta DL (LAX – SYD) (VA & AS partner) [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ (LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL ADL via Fiji) (QF, AA & AS partner)
  • Hawaiian HA (HNL – BNE SYD) (AA & VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ (HNL – BNE SYD MEL)
  • Qantas QF (LAX SFO JFK(via LAX) DFW HNL YVR* – SYD; LAX-BNE; LAX SFO - MEL) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) {* seasonal}
  • United UA (LAX - MEL, LAX SFO IAH – SYD) (SFO - MEL from 20 Oct 2019)[Star Alliance].Reduced service IAH-SYD & LAX-SYD March 29 through October 25
  • Virgin Australia VA (LAX – BNE SYD MEL) (codeshares with AC*) (DL & AC* partner) [*= some routes in 2017-18 link
  • and others via Asia & Middle East
fenix8o0 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:09 am

The key was to be prepared with the specific dates and flight details, have Aeroplan miles ready in the account (transfer from Amex first), and then have the passenger details handy.

To recap, flying from SEA --> PER as the origin and destination, respectively.
  • On the way there, stop in HKG.
  • On the way back, stop in BKK.
All for a very reasonable cost in taxes + booking fees all in ~$600 CAD. Buying a comparable flight in business class currently costs >$15,600 CAD.

Flight legs, for those that want to recreate this in the future:
  • SEA --> TPE --> HKG
  • STOP
  • HKG --> SIN --> PER
  • STOP
  • PER --> BKK
  • STOP
  • BKK --> TPE --> SEA
Add TPE in as well (great for layover, transfer, and especially any NA long-haul flights via EVA Air with its extensive network and no YQ). It looks like EVA (and TPE-BKK/SEA/HKK) made up 50% of your flight

BKK/SIN don't have that many selections to NA (and UA sucks). SQ doesn't release much J, TG is $$$ YQ
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by asgr81
I changed one segment of my mRTW DPS - SIN from Economy to Business today in the morning. Agent confimed that change is done and i will receive an email. I never received an email, Air Canada my Booking has started reflected the J segment but SIngapore website segment for that flight is disappeared. I dont have a flight if i enter Singapore Booking ref on Singapore website.

Aeroplan call centre is so busy due to flights issues these days, i thought i should ask here. Has anyone experience this ? Should i wait or escalate it asap. Flight is not until 2020.
Escalate. Same thing happened to me, and turns out they never ticketed it properly. Lost all my flights but they rebooked me in alternative routing which worked out in the end..
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fenix8o0
My first time looking into this award type. It seems PER is a popular destination, why? I don't see many routes to SYD. Is NZ possible with a m-RTW?
PER allows the most MPM which is an important factor in constructing a RTW

If you are planning to use Aeroplan, then your options are limited to Star Alliances.

All other options listed that serve AKL such as AA or DL, are really irrelevant to you because they cannot be booked with Aeroplan miles.

On top of that NZ is a notorious destination country to get to in a more direct route. Your best bet is going thru SIN on SQ. There are SIN-AKL available from the limited search I have done.

However AKL does NOT give you the needed MPM to do a real RTW. That is why PER is so popular.

Search the forum you should find a thread that gives the known MPM of City Pairs. Anyone who tries to plan a RTW should get familiar with such information - because Aeroplan's rules are quite simple - must within the MPM (from Origin to Turnaround Point, and from Turnaround Point to Destination, or an OJ), cannot pass thru same airport twice on same direction but once on each direction is fine.
The rest are really almost anything goes.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 19, 2019 at 11:52 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: hahaha
Hi everybody, I’m confused about some things I’ve read online.

Trying to build a trip from JFK to HKG (Asia 1) via PEK. Award availability isn’t very abundant during my selected dates, so I may need to go PEK-BKK-HKG, which wouldn’t be too bad for us.

Dumb question, but:

If I book JFK~~PEK-BKK-HKG, will I still get Asia 1 pricing if BKK is a 3 hour layover? Or will I default to Asia 2? Because the turnaround is at HKG and I’m only “borrowing” BKK as a layover, I would imagine it would be Asia 1, but I’m really not sure.

Second question:

If I decide to do a 20 day stopover at BKK before “turning around” at HKG, it probably would just consider BKK the turnaround (being farthest from JFK) and price it Asia 2, right?

The MPM holds throughout

Thanks everybody
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by asovse1
If I book JFK~~PEK-BKK-HKG, will I still get Asia 1 pricing if BKK is a 3 hour layover? Or will I default to Asia 2? Because the turnaround is at HKG and I’m only “borrowing” BKK as a layover, I would imagine it would be Asia 1, but I’m really not sure.

If BKK is only a layover, the award should price as Asia 1. As long as the route to BKK works for MPM, you're good.

Originally Posted by asovse1
If I decide to do a 20 day stopover at BKK before “turning around” at HKG, it probably would just consider BKK the turnaround (being farthest from JFK) and price it Asia 2, right?
Yes, that's correct, which also means MPM is calculated on JFK-BKK vs HKG.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;
For countries that banned surcharges, is the price shown on aeroplan what I should expect to pay? I still see carrier surcharges on ANA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.