Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by menmyself
Hi folks, does this routing look valid:

YYZ-IST-DXB-SIN-DPS (Destination/Point of Return)
DPS-SIN-KUL-BKK-HKT (Stop over)
HKT-BKK-KHI (stop over)
KHI-IST-ORD-YYZ

MPM is fine (>16K while routing has about 12K). Going through Singapore twice (I guess) should be ok as doing it once before and once after destination. Have a couple of doubts is KUL-BKK-HKT valid? and am going through BKK twice once before my stop over at HKT and once after, is it valid?
The BKK:HKT-BKK sidetrip is invalid. Otherwise the routing looks fine to me.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
There's not a huge amount of wriggle room, but a routing like YYZ-CDG-IST-MLE-SIN would most definitely be valid, for instance.
I'm trying to do something rather similar, could somebody weigh in on if this is conceivably possible before I call in?

SEA-YYZ-FRA-CDG (stop)
CDG-IST-MLE (destination)
MLE-SIN-TPE (stop)
TPE-YVR-PDX

I think I managed to pull the MPM as being over 14k miles, and both of those directions are closer to 11k. I'm wondering if that flight through SIN causes a wrinkle since it's in a more expensive zone than either MLE or TPE.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by puls
I'm trying to do something rather similar, could somebody weigh in on if this is conceivably possible before I call in?

SEA-YYZ-FRA-CDG (stop)
CDG-IST-MLE (destination)
MLE-SIN-TPE (stop)
TPE-YVR-PDX.
you're starting in SEA and ending in PDX with 3 stops so that won't be allowed. you'll have to end in SEA or start in PDX for it to possibly work
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Alright, there was a couple good fares today rom SEA to Australia, which has been on my list for a little while. I couldn't make any of them really work for me, so I started to brainstorm trying to add Australia to an RTW. I've got plenty of experience with the RTWs, I've done a couple already, so I'm just trying to make sure I haven't missed an opportunity here.

YVR based, so YYJ/SEA/PDX are all ok, YYC/YEG work, but aren't as desirable I suppose.

RTW wanting to include JNB (or CPT) hopefully CAI and then Australia. So far the only one I've ever been able to make the math work on is Perth, but I can't say that Perth is super interesting to me. I'd much prefer east coast of Australia, MEL/BNE/SYD.

Can anyone think of a way to get this done? Or am I just stretching to the point of impossibility? I tried YVR-SYD-SIN-JNB which is the shortest routing I could think of, it was like 600-800 miles over the limit.

Figured I'd ask to see if you guys have any ideas I'm missing.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Alright, there was a couple good fares today rom SEA to Australia, which has been on my list for a little while. I couldn't make any of them really work for me, so I started to brainstorm trying to add Australia to an RTW. I've got plenty of experience with the RTWs, I've done a couple already, so I'm just trying to make sure I haven't missed an opportunity here.

YVR based, so YYJ/SEA/PDX are all ok, YYC/YEG work, but aren't as desirable I suppose.

RTW wanting to include JNB (or CPT) hopefully CAI and then Australia. So far the only one I've ever been able to make the math work on is Perth, but I can't say that Perth is super interesting to me. I'd much prefer east coast of Australia, MEL/BNE/SYD.

Can anyone think of a way to get this done? Or am I just stretching to the point of impossibility? I tried YVR-SYD-SIN-JNB which is the shortest routing I could think of, it was like 600-800 miles over the limit.

To get maximum MPM for an origin city, you need to search for the nearest airport to its antipode. Given that YVR's antipode is in the ocean space between Africa, Australia, and Antarctica, your best city pairing is YVR-JNB for near max MPM. This also means you can't get both SYD and JNB in one RTW.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren

YVR-akl-per-JNB would be fine, but that relies on getting two long haul air New Zealand flights. Adding LAX or SFO in between YVR and Auckland should still fit
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:46 am

First m-rtw

Hey all

Planning a m-rtw for September/October 2019 wanted to get some input.

Ideally I’d like to hit Asia and Europe but I’ll likely only have 2 weeks off. That said, would probably have to limit my stops to 2 (1 Europe and 1 Asia) with perhaps a few long layovers along the way. I think 3 stops in 2 weeks would be rushed and wouldn’t give me enough time at each stop.

Would it still be worth it to plunk down all the miles for an Asia 1/2 J reward if I’d only have 1 stop in Asia and 1 stop in Europe? Or would it be wise to book 2x 1-ways and perhaps think about taking advantage of an F class?

Edit: the lady is concerned about not having enough time to do Asia as well as potential health and safety issues. Zika, malaria, crime.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by sbellotti84
Would it still be worth it to plunk down all the miles for an Asia 1/2 J reward if I’d only have 1 stop in Asia and 1 stop in Europe? Or would it be wise to book 2x 1-ways and perhaps think about taking advantage of an F class?
I'm not following your alternatives. 2x 1-way is the same cost as a return, but you don't get any stopovers. Unless you did a 1 way to Europe, and then another 1 way from Asia, but then you'd need to pay for the flight between Europe and Asia.

No idea how F class comes into the equation for your 1 way option.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbellotti84
Hey all

Planning a m-rtw for September/October 2019 wanted to get some input.

Ideally I’d like to hit Asia and Europe but I’ll likely only have 2 weeks off. That said, would probably have to limit my stops to 2 (1 Europe and 1 Asia) with perhaps a few long layovers along the way. I think 3 stops in 2 weeks would be rushed and wouldn’t give me enough time at each stop.

Edit: the lady is concerned about not having enough time to do Asia as well as potential health and safety issues. Zika, malaria, crime.
You are not going to South America or Africa - so how Zika and Malaria have anything to do with it?
Tell your lady that parts of Asia has far greater probability to contract malaria than Europe (probably not even exists there) since Asia seems to be where she wants to spend all the time...

Crime can be anywhere, including all North America cities, both Toronto and Vancouver to say the least.

Your 1-way proposal simply does not make any sense either. How are you going to pay for the other one-way flights to link the itinerary together? I am sure pay ticket on one way flight often is multiple times more than a round trip.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:57 pm

North America cities to ZRH on LX disappeared?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Terry Xu
North America cities to ZRH on LX disappeared?
I'm not sure if it's related to this thread, but just in case you haven't seen it yet...

LX Not Bookable With Aeroplan?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I'm not following your alternatives. 2x 1-way is the same cost as a return, but you don't get any stopovers. Unless you did a 1 way to Europe, and then another 1 way from Asia, but then you'd need to pay for the flight between Europe and Asia.

No idea how F class comes into the equation for your 1 way option.
@Happy - this is for you too

I’m trying to remember what I was thinking when I wrote that lol. Sorry. I feel like it made sense at the time now not so sure. I think the 1-ways I was thinking about were if I decided to stay within Europe or within Asia, not both.

F class thought process was to try F going there or coming back and/or J/Y for the other leg coming home or going. Booked as 2 x 1-ways . Save some miles instead of doing a roundup and paying the miles for F. I think that makes sense? Like the above, this would be within 1 zone only. Either Europe or Asia.

I was looking at some sites and it said zika and malaria were present in parts of Asia as well. It’s obvioudly not a deal breaker but the lady made mention of it.

Last edited by sbellotti84; Oct 19, 2018 at 10:08 am
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by w000t
you're starting in SEA and ending in PDX with 3 stops so that won't be allowed. you'll have to end in SEA or start in PDX for it to possibly work
Got it. Looks like there's availability on the direct TPE-SEA anyway, so I guess I'll try that. Thanks for the advice!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:12 pm

Before I spend any more time on it, can we do NH domestic flights on a mini RTW with <24 hours stops?

Specifically thinking FUK - OKA - NGS - HND on 3 NH segments. It's within MPM and no repeated destinations.

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by JCYC5
Before I spend any more time on it, can we do NH domestic flights on a mini RTW with <24 hours stops?

Specifically thinking FUK - OKA - NGS - HND on 3 NH segments. It's within MPM and no repeated destinations.

Thanks!
Sure, why not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.