Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I would lean towards not valid. Don't know what the MPM for YYZ-NRT is, but I would think YYZ-FCO-NRT may be right at MPM or slightly over.

Problem is, I don't think there's a direct FCO-NRT fight, which basically all but guarantees the outbound to be over MPM.
thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AC, ANZ, MH
TNR - IST TK161 flight

does this flight ever become available for Aeroplan awards? i have been trying to get out of Madagascar without going through ADD again, but never see this option coming up.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Obviously, it depends on the city, the commute time, your arrival/departure time
Maybe you can share with us?
I was thinking more generically but I'm specifically wondering about about the following legs:
San Fran: Arrival 11:15am at SFO. Depart 11:00am at SFO.
Seoul: Arrival 11:05am GMP. Depart 10:00am ICN.
Taipei: Arrival 11:30am TPE. Depart 10:20am TPE.
Istanbul: Arrival 7:45am IST. Depart 6:55am IST.
London: Arrival 10:15am LHR. Depart 8:30am LHR.

We have been to all these locations at least once so we will not be completely disorientated for a 24hr layover.
Slightly complicating things though, I only want to do carry-on but the missus wants to bring at least one check-in sized luggage so she can buy stuff. So if we do bring a check-in sized luggage, I am assuming we would probably want to do a quick initial stop at hotel first to dump the luggage. Another option is to just leave the luggage at the airport depending on the situation.

TIA.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by Jay71
I was thinking more generically but I'm specifically wondering about about the following legs:
San Fran: Arrival 11:15am at SFO. Depart 11:00am at SFO.
Seoul: Arrival 11:05am GMP. Depart 10:00am ICN.
Taipei: Arrival 11:30am TPE. Depart 10:20am TPE.
Istanbul: Arrival 7:45am IST. Depart 6:55am IST.
London: Arrival 10:15am LHR. Depart 8:30am LHR.

We have been to all these locations at least once so we will not be completely disorientated for a 24hr layover.
Slightly complicating things though, I only want to do carry-on but the missus wants to bring at least one check-in sized luggage so she can buy stuff. So if we do bring a check-in sized luggage, I am assuming we would probably want to do a quick initial stop at hotel first to dump the luggage. Another option is to just leave the luggage at the airport depending on the situation.

TIA.
Assuming you're wanting to get to the airports ~2 hours before your flight time, I'm exhausted and stressed just thinking about how horrific those mornings are going to be. With the exception of maybe SFO, where getting to the airport is pretty quick and easy on the train, I'd much rather save the stress and time of commuting in the morning even if it means losing an hour or two in the city the night before. That's especially the case with ICN and LHR since they're so far from the city centre. IST isn't as far, but the flight time is so early. I haven't been to TPE so I can't comment there.

Then again you can usually count on the jetlag working in your favour, making it super easy to get up at 4 AM when you're in Asia.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tifosi
Assuming you're wanting to get to the airports ~2 hours before your flight time, I'm exhausted and stressed just thinking about how horrific those mornings are going to be.
Any that doesn't even account for grouchy lack of sleep wife syndrome.
Thanks for the feedback.
That's kind of the direction I'm leaning towards too (staying near the airport). It will also force us to cut our nights early to ensure we can catch the last public/mass transit option which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I probably could have planned this better but unfortunately, our first destination in Asia will be a 7 day stop in Tokyo/Japan so we may lose a bit of the jetlag benefit before taking on a handful of 24 hour layovers.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I was under belief that if you don't stay for >24hr, it does not actually count, ie. Must stop >24hr at SIN for it to be considered your destination for MPM calculation purposes.
so if I go this way: YYZ--FCO--SIN--NRT--YYZ. I will stop at SIN for two or three days. will this itinerary be valid? will any European city besides FCO be ok? thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by jamesxie63
so if I go this way: YYZ--FCO--SIN--NRT--YYZ. I will stop at SIN for two or three days. will this itinerary be valid? will any European city besides FCO be ok? thanks.
yes, SIN will give you big MPM to work with

You can stop in FCO, destination SIN, stop in NRT = total 3 stops
​​​​​​​
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
yes, SIN will give you big MPM to work with

You can stop in FCO, destination SIN, stop in NRT = total 3 stops
​​​​​​​thank you.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:30 pm

I'm looking at booking a mini RTW in mostly first class next year. I realize that Lufthansa first class can only be booked 14 days prior to departure. I'll incur some change fees doing that. It looks like the MPM for YEG-CGK is 14021.

Is the following routing valid:
YEG-YVR-YYZ (overnight) (AC J)
YYZ-ORD-HND (overnight) (AC J/ ANA F)
NRT-BKK (overnight) (TG F)
BKK-SIN (stop) (TG J)
SIN-CGK (destination) (SQ F)
CGK-SIN-BKK-CDG-FRA (stop) (SQ F/ SQ J/ TG F/ LH J)
FRA-(NYC/IAD/BOS)-YYZ (overnight) (LH F/ AC J)
YYZ-YYC-YEG (AC J)

Any recommendations to improve the routing?

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by splicer100
I'm looking at booking a mini RTW in mostly first class next year. I realize that Lufthansa first class can only be booked 14 days prior to departure. I'll incur some change fees doing that. It looks like the MPM for YEG-CGK is 14021.

Is the following routing valid:
YEG-YVR-YYZ (overnight) (AC J)
YYZ-ORD-HND (overnight) (AC J/ ANA F)
NRT-BKK (overnight) (TG F)
BKK-SIN (stop) (TG J)
SIN-CGK (destination) (SQ F)
CGK-SIN-BKK-CDG-FRA (stop) (SQ F/ SQ J/ TG F/ LH J)
FRA-(NYC/IAD/BOS)-YYZ (overnight) (LH F/ AC J)
YYZ-YYC-YEG (AC J)

Any recommendations to improve the routing?

Thanks!
I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think your outbound would be valid because of the backtracking (even if it were within the MPM). You might have to try YEG-YVR-HND/NRT or route via LAX/SFO/SEA
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
If I am trying to work MLE and CDG(or any major city in europe) into one mRTW from YYZ, would SIN or AUS/NZ be a viable destination?

Or would I have to fly RT from SIN to MLE outside of the mRTW?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cennis
If I am trying to work MLE and CDG(or any major city in europe) into one mRTW from YYZ, would SIN or AUS/NZ be a viable destination?

Or would I have to fly RT from SIN to MLE outside of the mRTW?
There's not a huge amount of wriggle room, but a routing like YYZ-CDG-IST-MLE-SIN would most definitely be valid, for instance.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by anorg90

I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think your outbound would be valid because of the backtracking (even if it were within the MPM). You might have to try YEG-YVR-HND/NRT or route via LAX/SFO/SEA
As a backup plan, I would route through LAX/SFO/IAH. I am fairly sure that I have seen itineraries that route from western Canada to eastern Canada to get to Asia so long as it is within the MPM. Perhaps someone could correct me if I am wrong.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:34 pm

Hi folks, does this routing look valid:

YYZ-IST-DXB-SIN-DPS (Destination/Point of Return)
DPS-SIN-KUL-BKK-HKT (Stop over)
HKT-BKK-KHI (stop over)
KHI-IST-ORD-YYZ

MPM is fine (>16K while routing has about 12K). Going through Singapore twice (I guess) should be ok as doing it once before and once after destination. Have a couple of doubts is KUL-BKK-HKT valid? and am going through BKK twice once before my stop over at HKT and once after, is it valid?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by menmyself
Hi folks, does this routing look valid:

YYZ-IST-DXB-SIN-DPS (Destination/Point of Return)
DPS-SIN-KUL-BKK-HKT (Stop over)
HKT-BKK-KHI (stop over)
KHI-IST-ORD-YYZ

MPM is fine (>16K while routing has about 12K). Going through Singapore twice (I guess) should be ok as doing it once before and once after destination. Have a couple of doubts is KUL-BKK-HKT valid? and am going through BKK twice once before my stop over at HKT and once after, is it valid?
Just buy a separate BKK-HKT-BKK revenue ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.