Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cennis
I am looking at YYZ-x-SIN-CDG-YYZ, , I am noticing the only direct flight between SIN-CDG is SQ, however, there seems to be no business class award on even the latest released days?

Is the only option transfer through IST for business class?

I am noticing roughly 770 CAD in YQ just for SIN-CDG-YYZ in business, while 491CAD if I chose SQ economy for the SIN-CDG leg (same business class flights on other legs).
SQ doesn't release long haul business awards to partners, correct. Outside of Asia at least. I have seen SIN-IST awards on SQ (and TK) though, but you'll wait forever if you hope for SIN-CDG.

you can also connect through BKK, FRA or ZRH.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Thanks, I do see the SQ business for SIN-IST, and there are plenty of flights IST-CDG. Searches done through AP website.
However, I assume it is normal for me to not be able to search SIN-IST-CDG as a multi city award on AP?

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will look into them.

Another Q, is there a known way to avoid the YQ from CDG -> YYZ on the way home? I can only find AC flights for this segment. Connecting through FRA does not show any award space on lufthansa on any date for FRA-YYZ.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by cennis
Thanks, I do see the SQ business for SIN-IST, and there are plenty of flights IST-CDG. Searches done through AP website.
However, I assume it is normal for me to not be able to search SIN-IST-CDG as a multi city award on AP?

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will look into them.

Another Q, is there a known way to avoid the YQ from CDG -> YYZ on the way home? I can only find AC flights for this segment. Connecting through FRA does not show any award space on lufthansa on any date for FRA-YYZ.
If you're just searching SIN-IST-CDG as a multicity it won't work, as that looks like a one-way trip to the search engine, and a multi city search isn't allowed for one ways.

In order to avoid YQ for CDG-YYZ, you need to find a low YQ airline. Some options: route through the US on United, connect in WAW on LOT, or fly LX via ZRH (connecting in the US or YUL). Lots of threads in this board on strategies to lower YQ
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Alaska,Aeroplan, Aegean, BA Executive
So we booked our first m-RTW on Sunday night (huzzah!). Departure from YVR, it includes stops in Florida, then Germany, with Athens as destination. We fly back to YVR with quick layovers, all in J

However, it's now Thursday and I have yet to receive an Aeroplan confirmation email or e-Ticket. Is this normal..??

My redemption is found on the aeroplan site, and it's marked as "TICKETED". I can also find the itinerary on all partner airlines' sites (AC, LX, TK). I was able to select meals and seats for each leg.

I have called aeroplan every day and asked them resend the email confirmation and eticket, we have even tried different addresses (gmail, yahoo, work email, etc...). Still confirmation or eticket.

Should I be concerned..?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by I came to fly
So we booked our first m-RTW on Sunday night (huzzah!). Departure from YVR, it includes stops in Florida, then Germany, with Athens as destination. We fly back to YVR with quick layovers, all in J

However, it's now Thursday and I have yet to receive an Aeroplan confirmation email or e-Ticket. Is this normal..??

My redemption is found on the aeroplan site, and it's marked as "TICKETED". I can also find the itinerary on all partner airlines' sites (AC, LX, TK). I was able to select meals and seats for each leg.

I have called aeroplan every day and asked them resend the email confirmation and eticket, we have even tried different addresses (gmail, yahoo, work email, etc...). Still confirmation or eticket.

Should I be concerned..?
I would be concerned with you being reluctant to call the agent. How did you booked the itinerary? Must have been via call center. What did an agent say? I had the 3 stop trip booked to Europe via agent few days ago and received a confirmation on one ticket as the agent was still talking and booking the second ticket. I was told the confirmation for the second person was coming in the few minutes, and when it did not, I called and the second agent pushed the process (button) and it came as we were exchanging pleasantries.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: Alaska,Aeroplan, Aegean, BA Executive
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I would be concerned with you being reluctant to call the agent. How did you booked the itinerary? Must have been via call center. What did an agent say? I had the 3 stop trip booked to Europe via agent few days ago and received a confirmation on one ticket as the agent was still talking and booking the second ticket. I was told the confirmation for the second person was coming in the few minutes, and when it did not, I called and the second agent pushed the process (button) and it came as we were exchanging pleasantries.
The booking was completed over the phone, with an agent at the call centre. I have called everyday, and each time I'm told that they are pushing through the process and that the confirmation & eticket "should have been received"
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:25 am

The booking was completed over the phone, with an agent at the call centre. I have called everyday, and each time I'm told that they are pushing through the process and that the confirmation & eticket "should have been received"
Keep at it. Call all carriers for confirmation and get its' printouts of e tickets, itinerary etc. And you will fine, but pissed off.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What exactly is the definition of a mini RTW?

How does it differ from a booking with a destination and two stopovers?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What exactly is the definition of a mini RTW?

How does it differ from a booking with a destination and two stopovers?
It doesn’t differ. just that a miniRTW intentionally sets up the return over a different ocean from the outbound, making it a round the world trip. Differing from a true RTW, you can’t stop seven times en route.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

It doesn’t differ. just that a miniRTW intentionally sets up the return over a different ocean from the outbound, making it a round the world trip. Differing from a true RTW, you can’t stop seven times en route.
So YVR-Florida-Germany-ATH-YVR, clearly not crossing two oceans, would not be a mini RTW then?

I mean would SFO-YVR-YYZ-SFO be a mini RTW? Clearly not. If the definition is "TATL and TPAC" or similar, fine. But then it's not just "three stops", which can easily be done on one continent.

Heck, I'm not even sure I'd consider SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK-SFO a "mini RTW", even if routed back via Europe. My impression over the years was always that it needed stops in two different continents than the origin, but maybe I was mistaken.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So YVR-Florida-Germany-ATH-YVR, clearly not crossing two oceans, would not be a mini RTW then?

I mean would SFO-YVR-YYZ-SFO be a mini RTW? Clearly not. If the definition is "TATL and TPAC" or similar, fine. But then it's not just "three stops", which can easily be done on one continent.

Heck, I'm not even sure I'd consider SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK-SFO a "mini RTW", even if routed back via Europe. My impression over the years was always that it needed stops in two different continents than the origin, but maybe I was mistaken.
The classical definition if you scroll back ten years into this thread (or the pre-deval one) was, indeed, three continents at minimum - typically North America to Europe to Asia and back, though many got Africa and Australia into it, and even South America back when YYZ-PER had a 20,000 MPM. I think people have gotten busier and have less free time, so more or less anything goes these days.

Btw, SFO YVR YYZ SFO would not allow two stops so that wouldn’t work for even a mis-nomered mini-RTW
foreigncontent likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

The classical definition if you scroll back ten years into this thread (or the pre-deval one) was, indeed, three continents at minimum - typically North America to Europe to Asia and back, though many got Africa and Australia into it, and even South America back when YYZ-PER had a 20,000 MPM. I think people have gotten busier and have less free time, so more or less anything goes these days.

Btw, SFO YVR YYZ SFO would not allow two stops so that wouldn’t work for even a mis-nomered mini-RTW
Not to mention that with the change (for the worse) in MPM over the years, people are finding it harder to do true 2-ocean MRTW itineraries, so just struggling to get a simple itinerary to work over a TPAC or TATL seems to warrant enough reason to post and share the info for others. Forget about the semantics and go with the flow. The mini-RTW is a made up term anyways which Aeroplan agents will rightly argue with you that no such thing exists. Well, not in their systems and handbooks anyways.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Can anyone tell me if HKG & SZX are interchangeable? Also ITM & KIX?

I feel like sometimes it's just a YMMV situation, because I swear I was told EWR was not "same city" (or whatever it's called) as LGA/JFK but then I think I've seen other people post to the contrary. I'm gonna guess that HKG/SZX are not, but does anyone actually know? ITM & KIX I would hope are, but it's much less important to me.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:47 pm

HKG/SZX no, ITM/KIX yes I believe.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Can anyone tell me if HKG & SZX are interchangeable? Also ITM & KIX?

I feel like sometimes it's just a YMMV situation, because I swear I was told EWR was not "same city" (or whatever it's called) as LGA/JFK but then I think I've seen other people post to the contrary. I'm gonna guess that HKG/SZX are not, but does anyone actually know? ITM & KIX I would hope are, but it's much less important to me.

Hong Kong and Shenzhen have completely different visa requirements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.