Mini RTW Questions

Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Sorry. I should’ve been more clear. A number of countries in Asia regulate the maximum YQ, which means that even if you fly AC, your costs are kept under control. For example, test book HKG-YYZ or NRT-YYZ, you’ll see the YQ to be very reasonable. PEK is not horrible either at about $250. I think BKK is, too.
I haven't checked recently but previously, this only worked if Hong Kong was the destination. Even if it was a week-long stopover enroute from Australia, it didn't count.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: AP
Mine was changed from

YOW-YUL-LAX (AC)-SYD (united)
SYD-BKK-HKG (TG) (STOP)
HKG-KIX (AIr India) (STOP)
KIX-PVG-YYZ-YOW (AIR CANADA)

TO KIX - PEK (NH) - YUL- YOW (AIR CHINA)

And it saved me $500 bucks in taxes. It brought it down to $350 instead of $850. So that AC YQ is really hitting hard when it is coming back from PEK cause it counts from SYD as mentioned above.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Q regarding my upcoming Mini RTW. When checking in for a flight followed by a <24Hr layover, is it possible to have bags checked/tagged to final destination? I'd like to avoid retrieving bags for the layover.

e.g. Checkin @ ATH for ATH-VIE on LH; <24Hr (22:10 to be precise) layover in VIE; VIE-FRA on LH; FRA to YYZ on AC

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:12 pm

Just wanted to provide an update - finally got it all booked in Y for 100k and $380p.p. Fee was surprisingly low considering the MEL-YVR on AC metal. Was originally going to do MEL-LAX (UA) - DEN (UA) - YYZ (AC) but that was $420. Pleasant surprise.

YYZ-EWR AC
EWR-ABJ ET
ABJ-ADD ET
ADD-JNB ET (stop)
JNB-PER SA (turnaround)
PER-AKL NZ
AKL-ZQN NZ (stop)
ZQN-MEL NZ
MEL-YVR AC
YVR-YYC AC
YYC-YYZ AC

Thanks to everyone here for their help!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:54 am

Checked bags for mini-rtw trip

Hey all,

Just wanted to confirm something. I have a mini-rwt coming this year and will be flying to Asia but going through the U.S and the same on the way back. From my understanding is that all checked bags passing through the U.S (no matter your final destination) will need to be picked up while you are clearing customs unless you were pre-cleared and then re-checked again to your next flight in order for it to get to the final destination. Is this still hold?

By the way my mini-rtw look like this below:

YYZ-ORD in J via AC
ORD-HND in F via NH
HND-BKK in F via TG
BKK-DPS in J via TG - Destination
DPS-SIN in J via SQ - Stop
SIN-SGN in J via SQ - Stop
SGN-BKK in J via TG
BKK-HND in F via TG
HND-ORD in F via NH
ORD-YYZ in J via AC
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Hi.

I'm trying to do RTW for the first time with my wife,
Aug. 29 or 30
YYZ - BRU or nearby (YQ very high, >$600, any way to reduce?

around Sep. 13
BRU or nearby to TPE (can have stopover in SIN for short tour)

around Sept. 27
TPE - NRT (TSA-HND is available, but can also have a long stopover in ICN for short tour)

Oct. 11
HND - YYZ (or connection with UA from NRT to reduce YQ)

I have 350,000 points, so enough for two J class, but don't find any J seats YYZ to BRU in Atlantic portion. Also the YQ from YYZ-BRU is very high in what I can find.

Suggestions/tips are appreciated.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
Hi.

I'm trying to do RTW for the first time with my wife,
Aug. 29 or 30
YYZ - BRU or nearby (YQ very high, >$600, any way to reduce?

around Sep. 13
BRU or nearby to TPE (can have stopover in SIN for short tour)

around Sept. 27
TPE - NRT (TSA-HND is available, but can also have a long stopover in ICN for short tour)

Oct. 11
HND - YYZ (or connection with UA from NRT to reduce YQ)

I have 350,000 points, so enough for two J class, but don't find any J seats YYZ to BRU in Atlantic portion. Also the YQ from YYZ-BRU is very high in what I can find.

Suggestions/tips are appreciated.

It's going to be tough keeping that route under MPM.

YYZ-BRU-IST-TPE is barely do-able.

You're going to have a hard time getting this to work if you cannot find YYZ-BRU direct.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
It's going to be tough keeping that route under MPM.

YYZ-BRU-IST-TPE is barely do-able.

You're going to have a hard time getting this to work if you cannot find YYZ-BRU direct.
There is no YYZ-BRU direct (on SN) during those days. There are YYZ-YUL-BRU on AC, and YYZ-LHR-BRU (AC and SN)
There is YYZ-AMS on AC, still high YQ but at least it's direct.

For BRU-TPE, there is BRU-VIE-TPE (SN/BR)
through IST there is BRU-IST on TK, but no direct TK to TPE, so will be IST-SIN-TPE (on SQ), or IST-BKK-TPE (TK/BR)

Last edited by yscleo; Mar 18, 2018 at 9:32 am
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
There is no YYZ-BRU direct (on SN) during those days. There are YYZ-YUL-BRU on AC, and YYZ-LHR-BRU (AC and SN)
There is YYZ-AMS on AC, still high YQ but at least it's direct.

For BRU-TPE, there is BRU-VIE-TPE (SN/BR)
through IST there is BRU-IST on TK, but no direct TK to TPE, so will be IST-SIN-TPE (on SQ), or IST-BKK-TPE (TK/BR)
YYZ-YUL-BRU-VIE-TPE should be barely do-able. TK has direct flight IST-TPE everyday I thought, unless you meant no award availability?

I think the only way you can avoid YQ and keep this routing under MPM is to go YYZ-EWR-BRU-VIE-TPE, if YYZ-BRU direct on SN is not available.

If you can find seats, YYZ-YUL-ZRH-BRU-VIE-TPE may also work.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:01 pm

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first Mini RTW attempt. Actually, I had originally booked a simple roundtrip Aeroplan Flight Reward, for a friend's wedding in Saigon, on EVA Air.

The current itinerary is:
BR YVR-TPE
BR TPE-SGN
BR SGN-TPE
BR TPE-YVR
I guess there are no Star Alliance airlines that fly direct. Also, thank you FlyerTalk, for helping me to avoid carrier surcharges.

Now, as it turns out, I actually have another week of vacation available, so I've decided to visit China after Vietnam. Based on what I've read, have I got this potential itinerary right?
YVR-TPE (Layover)
TPE-SGN (Destination)
SGN-PEK (Stopover)
PEK-PVG (Stopover)
PVG-TPE (Layover)
TPE-YVR (Home!)

Or, have I got this completely wrong? Sorry if I have used the incorrect syntax.

Last edited by AJchang; Apr 2, 2018 at 11:03 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by AJchang
Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first Mini RTW attempt. Actually, I had originally booked a simple roundtrip Aeroplan Flight Reward, for a friend's wedding in Saigon, on EVA Air.

The current itinerary is:
BR YVR-TPE
BR TPE-SGN
BR SGN-TPE
BR TPE-YVR

I guess there are no Star Alliance airlines that fly direct. Also, thank you FlyerTalk, for helping me to avoid carrier surcharges.

Now, as it turns out, I actually have another week of vacation available, so I've decided to visit China after Vietnam. Based on what I've read, have I got this potential itinerary right?
YVR-TPE (Layover)
TPE-SGN (Destination)
SGN-PEK (Stopover)
PEK-PVG (Stopover)
PVG-TPE (Layover)
TPE-YVR (Home!)

Or, have I got this completely wrong? Sorry if I have used the incorrect syntax.
That itinerary looks fine. ^

(Just be aware that it would not qualify for the China TWOV program in case you were planning to travel on a Cdn passport.)
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

(Just be aware that it would not qualify for the China TWOV program in case you were planning to travel on a Cdn passport.)
Do you mean in both PEK and PVG or only one of them?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by erik19283
Do you mean in both PEK and PVG or only one of them?
Both PEK and PVG allow TWOV, but based on my understanding you need to arrive from and depart to a different country to be eligible and no domestic flights (domestic transfers are not permitted afaik). E.g. SGN-PVG-TPE would be eligible for TWOV.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

Thank you very much! I'll give Aeroplan a call today. I hope you all have a great day too!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:30 am

On a similar but different topic, if not a stopover, but as a layover in PEK or PVG, would a free Transit Hotel apply from Air China?

Transit Hotel, Airport Transfer to Hotels Information

My mistake...please ignore.This is not applicable for award flights / e-tickets not beginning with CA's "999".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.