Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: AY, AC, OV
How much have people been able to successfully exceed their origin-destination pair’s MPM for a mRTW booking?

I’ve seen posts augggeating there’s a 5-10 % tolerance, but i wonder how much evidence there really is for this. It’s also not always clear Whether advice applies to pre- or post-AP rule change itineraries.

Im struggling with an ininerary about 5-7 percent over MPM on the inbound and wonder if it’s worth calling in.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by martinlu
How much have people been able to successfully exceed their origin-destination pair’s MPM for a mRTW booking?

I’ve seen posts augggeating there’s a 5-10 % tolerance, but i wonder how much evidence there really is for this. It’s also not always clear Whether advice applies to pre- or post-AP rule change itineraries.

Im struggling with an ininerary about 5-7 percent over MPM on the inbound and wonder if it’s worth calling in.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Aeroplan used to use the so-called "MPM5" (MPM + 5%), but some time ago switched to using its own version of a MPM. You need to stick to this AE-specific AE; I'm not aware of any agents making any exceptions whatsoever.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AY, AC, OV
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Aeroplan used to use the so-called "MPM5" (MPM + 5%), but some time ago switched to using its own version of a MPM. You need to stick to this AE-specific AE; I'm not aware of any agents making any exceptions whatsoever.
Glad to be here! Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to find a way to lower the MPM despite the shoddy award availability...

Given that there appear to be similarly mixed statements regarding maximum allowed segments (unlimited? 16? 10?), is there any definitive statement on this as of 2018?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by martinlu
Glad to be here! Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to find a way to lower the MPM despite the shoddy award availability...

Given that there appear to be similarly mixed statements regarding maximum allowed segments (unlimited? 16? 10?), is there any definitive statement on this as of 2018?
Definitely not "unlimited". The max. number of segments an (electronic) ticket can have is 16. I've had some agents insist that the maximum number of segments on an Aeroplan award is 10/12, but I'm not aware of any published rule.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Hi folks, I am trying to get my inlaws from YVR (technically they are leaving from YLW) - SYD as quickly as possible with somewhat low taxes. Leaving Oct 23 or Oct 24. (Oct 22 possible too)

These are the best two I can find for TWO people in J Class:

Air China:
Oct 24 - YVR - PEK - 13:50 - 15:50 +1 (Oct 25) on a 777
Oct 26 - PEK - SYD - 01:10 - 15:50 on an A330
Total travel time: 32 Hours. Cost: $200 CAD ($100 per person)

OR:

Air Canada: Oct 24 - YVR - PVG - 11:30-14:10 +1 (Oct 25) on a 777
Air China: Oct 25 - PVG - SYD - 19:35 - 09:10 +1 (Oct 26) on an A330.
Travel Time: 27.3 hours, Cost: $625 ($307 per person)

Am i missing anything? Are these best options with only two stops? If I open it to 3 stops, the flight times get much longer.

I have also found them a very cool YVR - TPE - BKK - SYD flight on EVA / THAI, However on the way home they want to do a stopover in SE Asia. If I bring them back through SE Asia, will I be over MPM by bringing them through SE Asia on the way down??

Last edited by CanuckFlyHigh; Mar 11, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh

I have also found them a very cool YVR - TPE - BKK - SYD flight on EVA / THAI, However on the way home they want to do a stopover in SE Asia. If I bring them back through SE Asia, will I be over MPM by bringing them through SE Asia on the way down??
MPM is per direction.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AP
Valid:

YOW-YYZ-YVR AC
-AKL-PPT -WITH NEW ZEALAND AIR(OPEN JAW)
SYD-PEK-KIX (AIR CHINA)(STOP)
KIX-PVG-YYZ-YOW (AIR CANADA)

Agent said it was 1400 for 2 ppl for the taxes. It was too high so I didnt book it. I did the routes individually and still couldnt add up to 1400.

Also VALID:
YOW-YYZ/YUL-LAX-SYD
SYD-BKK-HKG (STOP)
HKG-KIX (STOP)
KIX-PVG-YYZ/YUL-YOW (AIR CANADA)
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:18 pm

You can't add up individual routes. You're being charged destination to origin due to flying AC.

Roundtrip starting in North America is very different from two one way. Australia to North America in particular one way is much cheaper
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by crimsona
You can't add up individual routes. You're being charged destination to origin due to flying AC.

Roundtrip starting in North America is very different from two one way. Australia to North America in particular one way is much cheaper

This route was 800 taxes per person. I did it on matrix ita and it seems like it's the last flight casue it's AC which is 500 taxes alone.

YOW-YYZ/YUL-LAX-SYD
SYD-BKK-HKG (STOP)
HKG-KIX (STOP)
KIX-PVG-YYZ/YUL-YOW (AIR CANADA)

I'm going to try to change it once AP system is back up. This should bring it down to $500 per person max.

YOW-YYZ/YUL-LAX-SYD
SYD-BKK-HKG (STOP)
HKG-KIX (STOP)
KIX-PEK-YVR (Air China)
YVR - YOW (AIR CANADA)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:01 am

I've been trying to plan a last minute miniRTW in Economy but I'm stuck on my return from New Zealand and can't seem to find a way back at a reasonable time without hitting an AC metal. Hoping someone here has some insight into potential routes. I'm trying to get back from WLG/CHC/ZQN to YYZ on June 2-3 (even June 1 if that is what it takes), as long as we arrive in YYZ by the 3rd in the evening.

Two questions:
1)Trying to avoid AC longhaul, the only two options I found was through CHC-SYD-LAX-DEN-YYZ (DEN-YYZ on AC) or WLG-SIN-PEK-IAD-YYZ but both gets us back at 11:30pm-ish with long layovers in the States and the Mrs. has work the next day. Any other suggestions for routing?
2) Including a long-haul AC metal, the best I can find was PEK-YYZ (AC). or routing up from SIN to ICN and then ICN-YYZ on AC. Both would get us back to Toronto at a more decent time (6pm) on June 3rd. Does anyone know how much that YQ would cost me for a PEK/ICN-YYZ leg?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by xtremester; Mar 13, 2018 at 11:10 am
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:38 pm

AC within North America isn't bad as long as the trans Pacific is on non YQ airline

If you fly AC on the Asia flight you'll be charged as if you flew it all the way from New Zealand
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by crimsona
AC within North America isn't bad as long as the trans Pacific is on non YQ airline

If you fly AC on the Asia flight you'll be charged as if you flew it all the way from New Zealand
... unless you stop somewhere in Asia to trigger “Asian YQ”.

But like, just also remember that even if it’s $300pp, how much is your time etc worth? At some point if you can do it in two connections vs. 5, skip the US, and land 5 hours early, is that not worth it?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

... unless you stop somewhere in Asia to trigger “Asian YQ”.
This terminology is new to me, can you please explain the Asian YQ?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
This terminology is new to me, can you please explain the Asian YQ?
Sorry. I should’ve been more clear. A number of countries in Asia regulate the maximum YQ, which means that even if you fly AC, your costs are kept under control. For example, test book HKG-YYZ or NRT-YYZ, you’ll see the YQ to be very reasonable. PEK is not horrible either at about $250. I think BKK is, too.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:34 pm

That's interesting, thanks for pointing it out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.