Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) IME, reward tickets are class-specific. So, if you see 2 seats available in J and 2 in Y, then the flight has 4 seats available in all.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:32 am

Does this look valid to everyone?

YYZ-NRT
NRT-SIN (Destination)
SIN-BKK
BKK-HKT
HKT-HKG (Stop)
HKG-VIE
VIE-PRG
PRG-IST (Stop)
IST-ZUR
ZUR-ORD
ORD-YYZ
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jfacowns

YYZ-NRT
NRT-SIN (Destination)
SIN-BKK
BKK-HKT
HKT-HKG (Stop)
HKG-VIE
VIE-PRG
PRG-IST (Stop)
IST-ZUR
ZUR-ORD
ORD-YYZ
Only if YYZ-SIN MPM is over 15,000 miles..... some serious backtracking there.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:27 am

Just did the MPM trick on Aeroplan site.. Unless i did it wrong, which is entirely possible.. the MPM between YYZ-SIN is 15441. Can someone explain to me why i need this segment to be over a certain MPM? I thought i had all the rules figured out but clearly I don't. Must i return to my origin in the same direction i left my point of origin? The itinerary i posted literally does go around the world, so obviously i'm not doing that here.

EDIT:

Or explain how MPM works? I have spent the last 2-3 hours on blogs (prince of travel, pointsnerd,etc) researching MPM and for some reason, it just doesn't click with me. I understand how to get the MPM between your origin and your destination but i don't really understand what this means. The MPM is calculated by the airline with a proprietary formula to my understanding, but we're also talking about REAL miles when it comes to our routings, am i correct here?

The MPM between YYZ-SIN seems to be 15441 (The Wiki for MPM city pairs does seem to be wrong/outdated..i think) so what does this mean for my entire trip? Why is 15K miles the number thrown out in this instance, what significance is 15k to my itinerary?

EDIT #2

Okay.. I think I've finally got my head around this and now i feel like an idiot. Your travel to your destination from origin has to fall under the MPM. Your travel from your destination back to your origin also has to fall under the MPM, am i right now? If so, my travel to my origin in real miles is 9323 miles, less than 15441. My travel from my destination (SIN) to my Origin (YYZ) is 15230, less than 15230. If I'm right in my understanding of this, finally, then I'm in the clear for MPM for the itinerary i posted above

Last edited by jfacowns; Mar 2, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: *void
Just did the MPM trick on Aeroplan site.. Unless i did it wrong, which is entirely possible.. the MPM between YYZ-SIN is 15441. Can someone explain to me why i need this segment to be over a certain MPM? I thought i had all the rules figured out but clearly I don't. Must i return to my origin in the same direction i left my point of origin? The itinerary i posted literally does go around the world, so obviously i'm not doing that here.

EDIT:

Or explain how MPM works? I have spent the last 2-3 hours on blogs (prince of travel, pointsnerd,etc) researching MPM and for some reason, it just doesn't click with me. I understand how to get the MPM between your origin and your destination but i don't really understand what this means. The MPM is calculated by the airline with a proprietary formula to my understanding, but we're also talking about REAL miles when it comes to our routings, am i correct here?

The MPM between YYZ-SIN seems to be 15441 (The Wiki for MPM city pairs does seem to be wrong/outdated..i think) so what does this mean for my entire trip? Why is 15K miles the number thrown out in this instance, what significance is 15k to my itinerary?
Maybe you've mis-interpreted what rankourabu meant? He's saying that your itinerary is only going to be valid if the MPM for YYZ-SIN is over 15,000 (as an approximation), because it looks like you're doing some (unneeded) zig-zagging in your routing. For example, why do you need to route through HKT from BKK to HKG? Anyways, you've found out on your own that the MPM is indeed over 15,000, so you should be fine, since your inbound is 15254.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:32 pm

Don't know why it took me so long to comprehend, my bad. I don't need to route through HKT but i have arranged for a 23hr 25min layover and my wife and I want to spend a little bit of time there. We want to see Singapore and Thailand but not enough to make both of them our stops. So this way we get BKK & HKT, both over 23 hour stops, and we can still use our stop in SIN for 5.5 days.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: *void
EDIT #2

Okay.. I think I've finally got my head around this and now i feel like an idiot. Your travel to your destination from origin has to fall under the MPM. Your travel from your destination back to your origin also has to fall under the MPM, am i right now? If so, my travel to my origin in real miles is 9323 miles, less than 15441. My travel from my destination (SIN) to my Origin (YYZ) is 15230, less than 1523015441. If I'm right in my understanding of this, finally, then I'm in the clear for MPM for the itinerary i posted above
Looks like you've got it. Except you prolly made a type in the inbound statement. Corrected for you.
Don't know why it took me so long to comprehend, my bad. I don't need to route through HKT but i have arranged for a 23hr 25min layover and my wife and I want to spend a little bit of time there. We want to see Singapore and Thailand but not enough to make both of them our stops. So this way we get BKK & HKT, both over 23 hour stops, and we can still use our stop in SIN for 5.5 days.
Then you've done a great job at achieving what you wanted to do, while staying under MPM. Well done.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:15 am

YYZ-NRT
NRT-SIN (Destination)
SIN-BKK
BKK-HKT
HKT-HKG (Stop)
HKG-VIE
VIE-PRG
PRG-IST (Stop)
IST-ZUR
ZUR-ORD
ORD-YYZ
Let us know if you were successful booking this itinerary through agent.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:23 pm

Help with aeroplan mini-RTW routing

I'm looking to redeem my Aeroplan points for the first time for a min-RTW.

I'm starting from Toronto with a destination of Bali / DPS.

I'd like to go through Asia in one direction and fly back through Europe. From what I can tell it seems like flights coming in & out of Bali go through Singapore as well.

I'd like to do a stopover in Asia in either Shanghai/Beijing/Tokyo
& a stopover in Europe in either London/Paris/Istanbul/Copenhagen

I'll squeeze layovers to the other cities where I can.

Is this a legit way of going about it? How can I verify this is within MPM limits? I'm wide open to any other suggestions to make the most of a trip from Toronto to Bali.

Any insights or tips would be fantastic. Thank you!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Twickenham
3) IME, reward tickets are class-specific. So, if you see 2 seats available in J and 2 in Y, then the flight has 4 seats available in all.
That's not strictly true.

I remember looking at a United flight (SFO-TPE maybe?). J was full (day of departure, and the app said so), F had 8 seats available. The flight was something like F8 A8 O8 J8 ... I3. They were clearly willing to "sell" J, knowing there would be operational upgrades to F. But had I booked 8 F seats, I (and J) would have dropped to 0.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by mileageking
Will do. Might be booking as early as tonight.. depends when my wife's Business Platinum MS bonus hits her card
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
we have done this twice so it is definetely doable.

however avoid united j class or a class they suck

we used asiana yyz-icn stop icn-hkg- dps in 2015 for a wedding

return dps-bkk-zrh stop zrh-yul-yyz
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:43 am

Hi everyone, a couple questions regarding traveling to Aus/NZ. I know this is one of the harder redemptions to do miles-wise as well as value-wise, but my wife and I are trying to give it a shot. This would be April 2019.

The places we really want to hit are Adelaide, Melbourne, Cairns, and Auckland. Not really flexible on destinations unfortunately since we want to see the Great Barrier Reef, and we have friends in the other three places.

From what I understand, Adelaide will have to be the destination because it's the farthest, correct?

Routing through Asia seems like the best way to avoid YQ - looking at something like YVR-TPE-SIN on EVA and SQ, then using SIN to jump to Australia or NZ.

The tricky bit comes because I can't seem to use the stopovers effectively. Can't do SIN-MEL(stopover)-ADL as the last leg because there aren't any *A flights inside Australia, and can't do SIN-AKL(stopover)-ADL because that puts us way over the MPM for YVR-ADL (which is 13347 miles).

The other option I'm looking at would be an open jaw between ADL and AKL. Would that be allowed? ADL-MEL would be by train or car, MEL-CNS and CNS-BNE-AKL would be via Avios transferred from MR. I could throw a stopover in at Singapore or TPE I suppose, but we would prefer to maximize time in Australia and NZ.

Then return flight would be AKL-SIN-TPE-YVR. This route is 13,193 miles, which should be ok?

Thoughts? Unfortunately the inter-Aus Avios (/maybe cash?) flights definitely make things more expensive than other mini-RTW options, anybody see anything that can be improved? Thanks everyone for reading my rant!

Oh PS, I've also read on here that using Alaska miles on Cathay is also an option - we have about 50k alaska and 85k SPG between us, I did the math and in order to get the 240k Alaska, we'd need to transfer about 140k MR to SPG, along with the 85k SPG and 50k Alaska - and then we'd need to figure out transportation between AKL and the Australia locations. Doesn't seem like the best use of miles. Although we'd get a Marriott 7 day cert out of it since 90 k spg -> 120k Alaska + the cert.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by mileageking
Booked and added to list of valid itineraries thread
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:08 pm

Booked and added to list of valid itineraries thread
nice, well done

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.