Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by pewpew
I can't answer anything else, but on an involuntary change (ie they changed the schedule and now you have to change the itinerary to make it fit what you previously intended) you should pay absolutely $0 as long as it's reasonable. If the agent doesn't agree, HUACA
I would agree, at least with respect to CHANGE fees, but as you say "reasonable" would you think that YQ on an LH flight would be waived, or would the award booking space be waived?

Honestly, I haven't called yet just cause I'm out of the country, when I get back I'll be armed with a few different options to see what they say. But I'm already sort of "prepping" for a "sir if you want the Lufthansa flight we have to apply the surcharges and there's no way around it even if I wanted to" type comment. OR the same comment regarding award space "sir, we're happy to rebook you, but there must be I class available".

Both are...reasonable comments, but having no experience in this situation, I'm not sure if someone else's HUACA would actually get one to waive that YQ. I'm not sure either what would take priority, the YQ, which would generate less revenue, or "buying" a J ticket, which would undoubtedly cost them more than the YQ received. So I'm kinda prepping for them to throw both at me...which I wouldn't be opposed to, but let's say that LX 333 didn't have award space and this change was made 1 week prior to my departure, then what would they do. As it stands I'm about 1 month out from the start of the trip and 2 months out from the end of the trip where these flights occur.

Also, FWIW, I wasn't notified about a damn thing. I went on the TK website today to try and pick a seat and it says my flights have been cancelled in big red bold letters, though my flights still exist but one was bumped back by 3 hours, the CA flight that doesn't affect anything. Then I checked the AC site and everything is doubled up, it's kind of a mess all around, but I love that they didn't tell me about any of the changes, yet in other instances I've received emails about 5 minute changes.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:38 am

From recent experiences, YQ is waived for involuntary changes. Had 3 changes to my itinerary over a 3 month period

All times, I rebooked on available I/O space. I think the only instances where I've read about AP buying revenue space is when they have made a mistake (ie. failure to ticket in time). YMMV
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
From recent experiences, YQ is waived for involuntary changes. Had 3 changes to my itinerary over a 3 month period

All times, I rebooked on available I/O space. I think the only instances where I've read about AP buying revenue space is when they have made a mistake (ie. failure to ticket in time). YMMV
That's good to know, I had them buy me a ticket once which is the only reason I know that solution exists, but yeah it was a screw up on their part.

Well hopefully I can make a change, I do wanna fly Swiss business, but if I can get the Lufthy 350 business I'd much rather try that out.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:37 pm

Putting together a mini RTW. A question of routing from Europe to Asia comes up.

When I search AP and a search returns CDG to NRT as a valid flight with the routing of CDG-BKK-NRT at the reception rate of just CDG to NRT.

Would I be able to use the above as a segment in my mini RTW and still be charged the lower miles.

I hope this makes sense.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Eagertraveler
Putting together a mini RTW. A question of routing from Europe to Asia comes up.

When I search AP and a search returns CDG to NRT as a valid flight with the routing of CDG-BKK-NRT at the reception rate of just CDG to NRT.

Would I be able to use the above as a segment in my mini RTW and still be charged the lower miles.
If your stop in Bangkok is 23h59m or less, you'll be charged the miles for flying CDG-NRT direct, but the taxes and fees ("YQ") for the segments you actually fly.

If your stop in Bangkok is 24h01 or longer, you'll be charged for flying to Bangkok.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:54 pm

Many Thanks[

QUOTE=YOWgary;29428584]If your stop in Bangkok is 23h59m or less, you'll be charged the miles for flying CDG-NRT direct, but the taxes and fees ("YQ") for the segments you actually fly.

If your stop in Bangkok is 24h01 or longer, you'll be charged for flying to Bangkok.[/QUOTE
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:58 pm

Looking at the following:

YVR-LAX 2 hours
LAX - ICN 17 hours
ICN - FRA Open Jaw (9 Days)

GDG - MUC 12 hours
MUC - BKK destination 3 days

BKK - TPE 10 hours
TPE - SEA 20 hours
SEA - YVR
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:22 pm

YVR-LAX 2 hours
LAX - ICN 17 hours

GDG - MUC 12 hours

BKK - TPE 10 hours
TPE - SEA 20 hours
SEA - YVR
Not going to work. You've way over shot YVR-BKK MPM on the outbound.

There's no way you're going to be able to route TPAC to Europe and then back to Asia.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:31 pm

Not going to work. You've way over shot YVR-BKK MPM on the outbound.

There's no way you're going to be able to route TPAC to Europe and then back to Asia.
What if the outbound was from YYZ?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Hello! I am new to FT and unsure if I am supposed to post in this thread. I'm with Aeroplan and I would like to use my miles.

When I am looking for a multi-city trip such as posted above, am I supposed to book separate trips each time? For example: YYZ - AMS, AMS - IST, IST - JFK, JFK - YYZ?
Round trip from YYZ to IST is 75000 aeroplan miles + $620 which I find too expensive. It is about the same amount as buying a regular ticket, $1000
However, if I tried booking separate tickets from YYZ to IST traveling between 4 cities, it comes up to 95000 +220, I think it's a deal but again, I am still not sure

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:49 pm

What if the outbound was from YYZ?
Doesn't matter. You're not going to be able to go from NA to EU crossing the pacific.

Have you looked into the concept of MPM?

If you went YYZ-FRA-BKK that'd work.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:18 pm

Smile

Doesn't matter. You're not going to be able to go from NA to EU crossing the pacific.

Have you looked into the concept of MPM?

If you went YYZ-FRA-BKK that'd work.
First of all, thank you for humouring me. It is very much appreciated.

I have looked up MPM. Clearly I don;t understand the full concept. Trying to blow the last of my AP miles so I can move on to something else. We have done the Asis europe thing a couple of times and wanted for fly Asiana F one more time.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
That's good to know, I had them buy me a ticket once which is the only reason I know that solution exists, but yeah it was a screw up on their part.

Well hopefully I can make a change, I do wanna fly Swiss business, but if I can get the Lufthy 350 business I'd much rather try that out.
AP can also open space on air canada flights if needed. I had them do this when they dropped a segment of yyj - sfo - icn, they just opened the AC option thru Yvr. No additional YQ was charged
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott

YVR-LAX 2 hours
LAX - ICN 17 hours

GDG - MUC 12 hours

BKK - TPE 10 hours
TPE - SEA 20 hours
SEA - YVR
Lots of issues with this
1. Your OJ isnt at the turn, which will be YMMV. By the book it shouldnt work.
2. You're trying to do NA-Asia-Europe-Asia (turn). Not gonna happen no matter where in NA you leave from.

What about the following?
YVR-LAX-ICN-BKK (turn)
BKK-MUC
MUC-CDG
CDG-YYZ-YVR

Going to be bad on YQ, but trying to fit Europe into YVR-BKK doesnt leave you with many options...

Originally Posted by brokencreed
Hello! I am new to FT and unsure if I am supposed to post in this thread. I'm with Aeroplan and I would like to use my miles.

When I am looking for a multi-city trip such as posted above, am I supposed to book separate trips each time? For example: YYZ - AMS, AMS - IST, IST - JFK, JFK - YYZ?
Round trip from YYZ to IST is 75000 aeroplan miles + $620 which I find too expensive. It is about the same amount as buying a regular ticket, $1000
However, if I tried booking separate tickets from YYZ to IST traveling between 4 cities, it comes up to 95000 +220, I think it's a deal but again, I am still not sure

Thanks in advance!
No. If you book each leg separately you'll get charged the amount of points based on each one. That's why you got it coming out to 90K (30K for YYZ-AMS, 15K for AMS-IST, 37.5K for IST-JFK, 7.5K for JFK-YYZ). This itinerary should be bookable as a multi-city with YYZ as origin, IST as destination, and AMS + JFK as your 2 allowed stops, for 75K.

Your $620 YQ is likely the result of flying Air Canada on the outbound. You might be able to reduce it by quite a bit by connecting thru WAW on LOT to AMS instead of direct on AC.

To further max points value you'd have to fly business class. (115K vs 75K and perhaps less availability)
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:43 pm

First of all, thank you for humouring me. It is very much appreciated.

I have looked up MPM. Clearly I don;t understand the full concept. Trying to blow the last of my AP miles so I can move on to something else. We have done the Asis europe thing a couple of times and wanted for fly Asiana F one more time.
Each city pair has a maximum mileage associated with it. For AP itinerary find the furthest city you are stopping for >24 hours at. That is your origin-destination pair.\

Go to this link:
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM)

Find your city pair if available there. YVR-BKK is 12150, YYZ-BKK is 11905.

Now go to this link:
Great Circle Mapper

On that website enter your desired routing. Ie. YYZ-FRA-BKK. Result is 9552, which is less than 11905.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.