Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by laddielad
Can someone critique this itinerary/provide suggestions on making it better? We want to try out the business class products if possible on each route.

YVR - ORD via UA
ORD - AMS via TK
AMS - ARN via SAS
ARN - IST via TK
IST - JNB via TK/SA

JNB - SIN SQ
SIN - BKK SQ
BKK - TPE EVA
TPE - PVG EVA
No it's TK, there's a layover in Istanbul then I take off to AMS so I guess it's
ORD-IST
IST-AMS

Stopover in AMS, JNB and PVG.

Yes PVG - YVR and it's within MPM cause according to the MPM thread YVR to JNB is around 16,300? How are the carriers? Anyway I can fly a better route?
There's no backtracking allowed so you wouldn't be able to transit IST twice before your POT. Assuming it's all within MPM, ORD-AMS direct on UA would work, rather than ORD-IST-AMS.

SQ only releases J seats for intra-Asia flights and, I think, flights to Australia. I'm not sure I've ever seen SQ J seats available for flights to/from South Africa.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:52 am

No it's TK, there's a layover in Istanbul then I take off to AMS so I guess it's
ORD-IST
IST-AMS

Stopover in AMS, JNB and PVG.

Yes PVG - YVR and it's within MPM cause according to the MPM thread YVR to JNB is around 16,300? How are the carriers? Anyway I can fly a better route?
You can't go through the same city more than once in each direction. You would be going through IST twice before your turnaround.

Looks like Tifosi beat me to a reply.

If you don't want to take UA TATL, you could do something like ORD-CPH-AMS on SK.

Last edited by mahoogalah; Nov 12, 2017 at 9:19 am
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by karlpenney
MPM for YYZ-SYD shows 15480. SYD-ICN-FRA-MUC-LIS-YYZ is 15484 according to gcmap. So, might be over, depending on what AP has in their system for those segments.

MPM for YYZ-HKG shows 10977. HKG-FRA-MUC-LIS-YYZ would work.
Is there a website to check allowed MPM for YYZ-SYD is 15480?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mileageking
Is there a website to check allowed MPM for YYZ-SYD is 15480?
No, all Aeroplan MPM is random and made up. We keep track here
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM)

However, its best to simply outright call and ask before making any plans.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by mahoogalah
You can't go through the same city more than once in each direction. You would be going through IST twice before your turnaround.

Looks like Tifosi beat me to a reply.

If you don't want to take UA TATL, you could do something like ORD-CPH-AMS on SK.
How often does UA release seats? I couldnt' find any for 2 people UA direct... I wanted that
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
What are the magic words you have to say to do this. Something about the onboard list?
It shouldn’t be “magic” words...you can explain it at check-in, if you’ve booked a J itin with miles. The check-in agent can see if was booked as J, but a specific leg was booked into Y. I’m assuming that you can do the same with the gate agent (skip the lounge and join the ubiquitous queue waiting to speak with the gate agents).
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
No, all Aeroplan MPM is random and made up. We keep track here
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM)
Thanks for sharing thread. ^
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:29 am

All booked!

Traveling in J for:
YEG-YVR AC
YVR-TPE BR (Layover)
TPE-HKG BR (Stopover)
HKG-BKK TG
BKK-SIN SQ (Destination)
SIN-PEK CA (Layover)
PEK-CPH SK (Stopover)
CPH-EWR SK
EWR-YYZ UA
YYZ-YEG AC

Taxes / fees: ~$250 pp

I tried booking the last leg as CPH-WAW-YYZ-YEG, but the miles were just over (telephone agent simply said the system refused it, but did not elaborate, even with a little nudging)

One last question (hopefully): once travel has commenced, is it possible to change a flight or change a stopover into an open jaw? Agent on a preliminary call said yes, but I have a feeling that once we’ve started traveling there will be an issue if/when I make that call (while paying for long distance).
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:48 pm

Got shot down 3 times trying to change stopover from LAX to SFO. Had to fly back to LAX to catch my last flight
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
Got shot down 3 times trying to change stopover from LAX to SFO. Had to fly back to LAX to catch my last flight
Thanks, good to know. If anything, I would actually be dropping segments entirely, thus creating an open jaw.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:56 pm

Somewhat convoluted question

I'm trying to get back from CAN-YYZ in J
The ideal route I think is CAN-TPE-YYZ on BR(Eva)
The dates I'm looking for for some reason only have either the CAN-TPE available or the TPE-YYZ available, and maybe once a month do those seem to overlap to allow you to go the full trip.

Unfortunately, the one day a month it seems the full CAN-TPE-YYZ is available I can't do timewise.
The question is (and this may be a long shot), is there a better chance for CAN-TPE to open up or TPE-YYZ? This will change on what dates I book a "holder" flight for. For example, if on June 1st there is currently CAN-TPE available and on June 8th there is TPE-YYZ available, if I book something else (CAN-PEK-YVR-YYZ or something like that) on June 1st, I am effectively hoping for TPE-YYZ to open up, and if I booked that on June 8th, I am effectively waiting for CAN-TPE to open up. Sorry if this is super convoluted and thanks a lot!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by YEGcg
One last question (hopefully): once travel has commenced, is it possible to change a flight or change a stopover into an open jaw? Agent on a preliminary call said yes, but I have a feeling that once we’ve started traveling there will be an issue if/when I make that call (while paying for long distance).
Depends on whether you're doing the "legal" way (i.e. changing at destination) or trying to just drop a flight. Former, yes; though it'll be convoluted and need a loooooong time on the phone; latter, basically impossible unless you catch an agent about to go home who just doesn't care (i.e., I wouldn't bet on it).

Originally Posted by TJ1010F
Somewhat convoluted question

I'm trying to get back from CAN-YYZ in J
The ideal route I think is CAN-TPE-YYZ on BR(Eva)
The dates I'm looking for for some reason only have either the CAN-TPE available or the TPE-YYZ available, and maybe once a month do those seem to overlap to allow you to go the full trip.

Unfortunately, the one day a month it seems the full CAN-TPE-YYZ is available I can't do timewise.
The question is (and this may be a long shot), is there a better chance for CAN-TPE to open up or TPE-YYZ? This will change on what dates I book a "holder" flight for. For example, if on June 1st there is currently CAN-TPE available and on June 8th there is TPE-YYZ available, if I book something else (CAN-PEK-YVR-YYZ or something like that) on June 1st, I am effectively hoping for TPE-YYZ to open up, and if I booked that on June 8th, I am effectively waiting for CAN-TPE to open up. Sorry if this is super convoluted and thanks a lot!
I think BR tends to release flights close in; I've seen something like "2 weeks prior" - I'd start checking right now if I were you and see whether they open up space as each day progresses.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:14 pm

Hi everyone, posted same in FAQ thread by mistake too but i think this thread makes more sense.

I am thinking of doing a last mini rtw and use all my miles at the end of 2018.

Can anyone give me an idea if below trip is possible route wise and also of possible to find 4 J tickets ?

YYZ - TPE
TPE - DPS (stop)
DPS - SIN
SIN - MEL (pot)
MEL - BKK
BKK - DXB (stop)
DXB- IST
IST - YYZ
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
AKL

AP has two business flights to AKL available on Dec 10 on NZ. One out of SFO and one out of LAX. Found them while trying to optimize my itinerary, hope someone can make use of them.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, IHG Diamond
Hi all - have never tried to book a type of mini-rtw reward before. I've tried to comprehend the rules, and this is what I came up with - wondering if anyone knows/can guess whether this will be a permitted routing?

YSJ - NRT via YYZ, ORD [1st stopover]
NRT - BKK [destination]
BKK - ICN [2nd stopover]
ICN - YSJ via LAX, YYZ

Looking at 1-way awards on the aeroplan site suggests availability on my preferred dates for all routes (just doing, say, a 1-way from YSJ - NRT, then another 1-way for KIX - BKK, for example) in the booking classes I want (currently trying to experience a mix of first and business class on ANA (777-300), Thai (747-400) and Asiana (380).

Appreciate any help - thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.