Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Smiley90
You can't have two stopovers on the same direction - you'd have to go YVR-EWR/LHR-MLE-EWR/LHR-YVR, since otherwise LHR becomes your destination and LHR-MLE-YVR breaks your MPM and isn't allowed
No.

That's not how determining the destination works.

It's always the furthest point from origin...and 2 stopovers on the outbound is 100% allowed.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
You can't have two stopovers on the same direction - you'd have to go YVR-EWR/LHR-MLE-EWR/LHR-YVR, since otherwise LHR becomes your destination and LHR-MLE-YVR breaks your MPM and isn't allowed
Utter misinformation.

You can have two stopovers enroute to destination, and point of turnaround is always calculated as furthest from origin. Delete your post
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
That's because you cannot caluculate the mileage. Its a random number made up by Aeroplan.
According to our thread, your mileage allowed is 14720 on YVR-MLE, which both your routes are way under.

You will pay over $600 in fees, because your return in on AC longhaul
Thank you for the feedback and the clarification from others about 2 stopovers on the same leg. The $600 in fees does seem quite steep, but honestly is a huge improvement as before I started researching and reading the advice and tips through flyertalk, the multitrip I created from YVR - LRH - MLE - LRH was going to cost $1450 in fees and I was already considering it before thinking, "No, there must be a better way!".

I've found a slight alternative that prices in at about $180 less pp by switching out a stop for an open jaw by flying to MLE from CDG instead of LHR. This seems to be a better option since it removes the Air passenger duty? Especially since we'd like to visit Paris as well! Adds on 3 hours to the flight time but a $350 savings in fees for both of us.

Apologies for the newbie questions. Still have a long ways to go to figuring the system out and appreciate the insight the forum offers!

YVR - EWR AC J (Stop)
EWR - LHR UA J
(Open jaw)
CDG - ZHR LX J
ZHR - DEL LX J
DEL - MLE AI J (Dest)
MLE - DEL AI J
DEL - ICN OZ J
ICN - YVR AC J

This RTW would put us in at ~$468 in taxes/fees.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by teestar
Thank you for the feedback and the clarification from others about 2 stopovers on the same leg. The $600 in fees does seem quite steep, but honestly is a huge improvement as before I started researching and reading the advice and tips through flyertalk, the multitrip I created from YVR - LRH - MLE - LRH was going to cost $1450 in fees and I was already considering it before thinking, "No, there must be a better way!".

I've found a slight alternative that prices in at about $180 less pp by switching out a stop for an open jaw by flying to MLE from CDG instead of LHR. This seems to be a better option since it removes the Air passenger duty? Especially since we'd like to visit Paris as well! Adds on 3 hours to the flight time but a $350 savings in fees for both of us.

Apologies for the newbie questions. Still have a long ways to go to figuring the system out and appreciate the insight the forum offers!

YVR - EWR AC J (Stop)
EWR - LHR UA J
(Open jaw)
CDG - ZHR LX J
ZHR - DEL LX J
DEL - MLE AI J (Dest)
MLE - DEL AI J
DEL - ICN OZ J
ICN - YVR AC J

Probably won't "fly". Your OJ has to be at your Destination or Origin. You're OJ'ing with LHR and CDG.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:38 pm

Why are you flying through Delhi so much? Would you need a transit visa? Pretty sure Turkish flies to male, would be more direct than your current route

If you want to reduce the surcharges out of London, call in for a second stopover in Europe and the departure taxes will drop. Brussels, Zurich or Istanbul

Open jaw enroute is likely to be denied

Maldives to Singapore, Taipei, YVR is a better route home unless you have specific things you want to do on a connection elsewhere
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by teestar

YVR - EWR AC J (Stop)
EWR - LHR UA J
(Open jaw)
CDG - ZHR LX J
ZHR - DEL LX J
DEL - MLE AI J (Dest)
MLE - DEL AI J
DEL - ICN OZ J
ICN - YVR AC J

Open jaw won't fly as mentioned mid itinerary.
solution is stop in Paris and pay separately to get to London, that will be cheaper than stopping in London and paying UK APD

Also, it will be more than $468, AC will assess scamcharges on MLE YVR, not just ICN YVR (low scamcharges)

DEL is fine. There is no need for any visas for non-overnight connection
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: AC, ANZ, MH
Hi. Newby-ish. I'm understanding most of the program, now a question after a wasting time with an agent who couldn't tell me the issue with my proposed itinerary (just doesn't work, and then proposed totally irrelevant options!)

How precise is the calculation for the turnaround point? Example, i'm starting from Europe to HKG and Japan. Using GCM

If i start in AMS, AMS-HKG 5773, AMS-KIX 5743
If i start in ZHR, ZhR-HKG 5844, ZHR-KIX 5980

so both have different turnaround point, correct? (i can also start playing with my Japan airport to make it work)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:36 pm

Been trying to absorb all the info in these threads. Thanks to everyone who has posted here and helped newbies like me try to figure out these tough routings.

Looking to do a trip this coming summer (June/July 2018) for 2 people in J.

Was hoping for some feedback on the below. I think I've gone through all the rules and I think this complies... YEG-HKT MPM seems to be 12912.

Being a bit of a nerd, I'm excited at being able to fly the 787 and A380!

YEG DEN UA RJ-175 1020
DEN IAD UA B737 1453
IAD CDG UA B787 3862
CDG ZRH LX A320 297 STOP
ZRH IST TK A321 1098
IST HKT TK A330 4788 DEST
HKT HKG SQ A380 1425 STOP
HKG ICN ANA B747 1285
ICN NRT ANA A321 783
NRT LAX UA B737 5452
LAX DEN UA B737 862
DEN YEG UA RJ-175 1020

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by JCYC5; Sep 28, 2017 at 1:35 pm Reason: Updated
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by JCYC5
Been trying to absorb all the info in these threads. Thanks to everyone who has posted here and helped newbies like me try to figure out these tough routings.

Looking to do a trip this coming summer (June/July 2018) for 2 people in J.

Was hoping for some feedback on the below. I think I've gone through all the rules and I think this complies... YEG-HKT MPM seems to be 12912.

Being a bit of a nerd, I'm excited at being able to fly the 787 and A380!

YEG DEN UA RJ-175 1020
DEN IAD UA B737 1453
IAD CDG UA B787 3862
CDG ZRH LX A320 297 STOP
ZRH IST TK A321 1098
HKT HKG SQ A380 1425 STOP
HKG ICN ANA B747 1285
ICN NRT ANA A321 783
NRT LAX UA B737 5452
LAX DEN UA B737 862
DEN YEG UA RJ-175 1020

Thanks in advance!!
Looks great! Mileage looks right, no backtracking anywhere. Did you validate/book and get a figure for the taxes/fees?

Did you intentionally try to maximize the number of layovers, or were you trying to avoid a small positioning flight within Canada on AC? There's quite a few different countries and airports in there ,so just those fees alone will probably bump up the figure, would it not?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:41 pm

Planning my first Mini-RTW, trying to work with the LAX -> MRU pairing.

So according to the MPM city parings thread LAX -> MRU is 18356. But according to GCmap the distance is closer to 11400. Is there a way to just call AP and find out the MPM for this pairing so I can build around that, or do I need an actual route worked out first?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by WKnight
Looks great! Mileage looks right, no backtracking anywhere. Did you validate/book and get a figure for the taxes/fees?

Did you intentionally try to maximize the number of layovers, or were you trying to avoid a small positioning flight within Canada on AC? There's quite a few different countries and airports in there ,so just those fees alone will probably bump up the figure, would it not?
Thanks! Haven't done that yet, was mostly trying to get the route planned before going into looking at the precise dates - felt like the right way to go!

The getting in and out of YEG was done for a bit of both reasons you identified - a IAD and LAX overnight seemed appealing for a quick visit, as was the ability to fly the Dreamliner. That added the necessary evil of going through DEN. Also, was of course trying to avoid the AC YQ that a TYO-YVR or YEG-YYZ/YUL would add

I suppose I hadn't considered the AC YQ vs. fees given a routing like this... any advice?!

Last edited by JCYC5; Sep 28, 2017 at 3:49 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Thanks! Haven't done that yet, was mostly trying to get the route planned before going into looking at the precise dates - felt like the right way to go!

The getting in and out of YEG was done for a bit of both reasons you identified - a IAD and LAX overnight seemed appealing for a quick visit, as was the ability to fly the Dreamliner. That added the necessary evil of going through DEN. Also, was of course trying to avoid the AC YQ that a TYO-YVR or YEG-YYZ/YUL would add

I suppose I hadn't considered the AC YQ vs. fees given a routing like this... any advice?!
I'm YEG-based as well so I feel your pain. I've always found that domestic AC segments don't add enough YQ to worry about. I have an upcoming mRTW with a stop in ZRH as well and I'm going YEG-YUL (AC)>YUL-ZRH (LX). The fees are minimal. It would mean giving up the 787 route, but it'll be a lot more pleasant than your YEG-DEN-IAD-CDG-ZRH routing.

YQ shouldn't be applied to flights where HKG is a stopover so, if it's available, you could do the HKG-YVR direct on AC.

TYO-YVR is also available on NH through HND on a 787, so there's more than just AC. NH does charge some YQ though, unless you change your HKG stop to TYO.

(This all assumes that you aren't committed to your overnights in IAD and LAX)
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Tifosi
I'm YEG-based as well so I feel your pain. I've always found that domestic AC segments don't add enough YQ to worry about. I have an upcoming mRTW with a stop in ZRH as well and I'm going YEG-YUL (AC)>YUL-ZRH (LX). The fees are minimal. It would mean giving up the 787 route, but it'll be a lot more pleasant than your YEG-DEN-IAD-CDG-ZRH routing.

YQ shouldn't be applied to flights where HKG is a stopover so, if it's available, you could do the HKG-YVR direct on AC.

TYO-YVR is also available on NH through HND on a 787, so there's more than just AC. NH does charge some YQ though, unless you change your HKG stop to TYO.

(This all assumes that you aren't committed to your overnights in IAD and LAX)
Thanks for the tips!

I've revised the plan to this. A few changes - the gf would rather NYC (eugh) over IAD, so EWR it is... Going through YYZ seems easier than DEN. Changed the first stop from ZRH to CDG (again, gf)... but the tail end has been much simplified (getting rid of LAX, trading it for a extra stop in OSA, then direct from NRT - YVR on a 787!)

YEG YYZ AC A320 1676
YYZ EWR UA B737 348
EWR CDG UA B767 3649 STOP
CDG ZRH LX A320 297
ZRH IST TK A321 1098
HKT HKG TG A330 1425 STOP
HKG KIX NH B767 1539
ITM HND NH B777 252
NRT YVR AC B787 4674
YVR YEG AC A320 508

Appears that I only have one 787 segment left, but oh well...

Does this plan seem reasonable?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Thanks for the tips!

I've revised the plan to this. A few changes - the gf would rather NYC (eugh) over IAD, so EWR it is... Going through YYZ seems easier than DEN. Changed the first stop from ZRH to CDG (again, gf)... but the tail end has been much simplified (getting rid of LAX, trading it for a extra stop in OSA, then direct from NRT - YVR on a 787!)

YEG YYZ AC A320 1676
YYZ EWR UA B737 348
EWR CDG UA B767 3649 STOP
CDG ZRH LX A320 297
ZRH IST TK A321 1098
HKT HKG TG A330 1425 STOP
HKG KIX NH B767 1539
ITM HND NH B777 252
NRT YVR AC B787 4674
YVR YEG AC A320 508

Appears that I only have one 787 segment left, but oh well...

Does this plan seem reasonable?
If your plan is to to spend a bit of time (<24 hours) in NYC and Osaka, that all sounds pretty reasonable. Is there a reason to go from CDG-IST via ZRH? Why not do that direct on TK?

Keep in mind that the NH segments and the NRT-YVR flight will add a decent amount of YQ if Japan isn't a stopover.

Also, unless you've already confirmed availability for your dates, it can be tough to get the EXACT flights you want if your days are fairly set. It helps to have some flexibility, especially if you're looking for two J seats. Otherwise this is all a bit academic since the odds of that exact routing being available can be slim...
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tifosi
If your plan is to to spend a bit of time (<24 hours) in NYC and Osaka, that all sounds pretty reasonable. Is there a reason to go from CDG-IST via ZRH? Why not do that direct on TK?

Keep in mind that the NH segments and the NRT-YVR flight will add a decent amount of YQ if Japan isn't a stopover.

Also, unless you've already confirmed availability for your dates, it can be tough to get the EXACT flights you want if your days are fairly set. It helps to have some flexibility, especially if you're looking for two J seats. Otherwise this is all a bit academic since the odds of that exact routing being available can be slim...
The plan was to do an overnight in ZRH just to...well, have done it!

I'm very much open to having HKG become a <24hr stop and change TYO to a stop - would probably make things much cheaper if I did that, is that correct?

I have yet to confirm availability for dates - I've been trying to search the resources here to find out when would work best for this in terms of J opening up availability on all the various airlines. Is there a centralized thread/wiki that has such information?

Thanks for all your help thus far!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.