Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Keisuke Himuro
Is one stopover plus one turn around still valid for NA booking?

I tried to book SFO-YYC(stop)-EWR(des)-SFO online. But it told me not valid.
Strange that it does that. I got the same thing going to Europe from YYC but from Europe on the same itinerary it worked fine. If it makes no difference in the order of travel to you, go to EWR first. It seems to work when I use the tool including many transfers being off fly path..., like going via IAH and LAX.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Aug 12, 2017 at 3:07 pm
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Yeah I need/want something like

YVR-FRA(or MUC)-ZRH//SIN-PER (14029 or 14187)

PER-AKL-MEL//-(LAX-)YVR (13154 or 13968 via UA&LAX if AC MEL-YVR stays seasonal)

PER as destination, MEL&ZRH as stopovers.

Do those routings seem allowed? If PER MPM is 14765 then they should be.

(also, PER-SIN-FRA-AMS-YYZ-YVR is more than 14765? )
To add to my own post: trying to search this on aeroplan doesn't work, as PER-SYD isn't searchable.

PER-AKL and AKL-SYD have availability (albeit only in Y), but the PER-SYD routing itself isn't bookable - possibly because it exceeds MPM, even though that's literally the shortest routing possible.

PER-AKL-SYD-YVR does, however, NOT exceed PER-YVR MPM - does that mean that while it's just not properly searchable on aeroplan, if I call in to book it WOULD be bookable?

I might have to get to MEL by myself, as the only way to keep PER-AKL-MEL-YVR below MPM is either direct (which is seasonal), via LAX (really rare on UA from the looks of it) or via Tokyo (and NH doesn't fly TYO-MEL at all, sadly). If I pick SYD, that opens it up more since I can route SFO, LAX, TYO and direct.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:34 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Smiley90
To add to my own post: trying to search this on aeroplan doesn't work, as PER-SYD isn't searchable.
I can see PER-SYD in KVS and, depending on dates, there's J availability but all on NZ via AKL. Not sure why Aeroplan won't let you search that route although I'm sure some smarter FTer than me knows the answer.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I can see PER-SYD in KVS and, depending on dates, there's J availability but all on NZ via AKL. Not sure why Aeroplan won't let you search that route although I'm sure some smarter FTer than me knows the answer.
Yeah I believe PER-AKL-SYD is the only possible *A routing, and I wouldn't mind that - while it makes things complicated/limits routing, it doesn't break PER-YVR MPM. But just not searchable on AP, but if it's searchable on KVS then that solves the problem too as the call centre SHOULD see it too, then.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:52 pm

Cabotage, perhaps? Foreign carriers probably not allowed to book domestic Australia tickets.

Just booked mini rtw to Bangkok a few weeks ago from YVR, Singapore and KUL work too, but it's pretty tight. Any type of zig zag would likely push you over

South Africa, Mauritius, India, Maldives are some of the highest routings available
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Okay I just checked KVS, and

using the AC-star alliance tool, PER-SYD shows no valid awards

using the NH-star alliance tool, PER-SYD DOES show valid awards (via AKL)

So it's something about AC that just doesn't mesh with the PER-SYD routing. Not cabotage since bookable via NH. Is it an MPM issue that's resolved if the segment is part of a larger booking? I'm not sure.

JNB-PER-SIN/BKK-TYO/ICN/TPE-YVR being allowed is sweet too. I really want MEL in the mix but getting that routing to work will be REALLY tough with award availability given the limited MPM routings (with PER as destination), so I might just buy an intra-Australia flight with cash or Avios if I want to do that.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:47 am

playing around with a mini-rtw itinerary need to go from YYZ-TPE but trying to fit in ATH. When i tried the multi-city option on the site it errors out. I can do other European cities but just not ATH. Is is not possible at all?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc234
playing around with a mini-rtw itinerary need to go from YYZ-TPE but trying to fit in ATH. When i tried the multi-city option on the site it errors out. I can do other European cities but just not ATH. Is is not possible at all?
The MPM for YYZ-TPE leaves very little flexibility for a TATL routing, so I guess your ATH routing is over MPM.

You can increase the MPM by choosing a destination in Southeast Asia, e.g. YYZ-ATH-SIN-TPE-YYZ definitely is valid.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
The MPM for YYZ-TPE leaves very little flexibility for a TATL routing, so I guess your ATH routing is over MPM.

You can increase the MPM by choosing a destination in Southeast Asia, e.g. YYZ-ATH-SIN-TPE-YYZ definitely is valid.
Thanks, i have no need or desire for SIN, that being the case if i chose that as a destination, do I have to stay there >24 hours?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:25 pm

Here's my research/trial-and-error from my YYZ-TPE Mini-RTW with the new MPM. Your ATH is obviously even higher MPM
Yes, Works - VCE, MXP (10471), CDG (10547), VIE, BLQ (10463), FLR (10500 but no flight)
No, Over MPM - NAP, LYS (10592), FCO (10589), NCE (only works with BR62 VIE-TPE flight, not with TK via IST. 10411 if VIE-TPE, 11631 VIE-BKK-TPE)
That's why I used HKG before (yes you need to stay >24 hrs as Destinatino)

With HKG
YYZ-Europe (I've done AMS,PRG), stop #1
Europe-HKG, Destination
HKG-TPE stop, stop #2
TPE-YYZ

No HKG (barely under MPM)
YYZ-Nice. stop #1
Nice-TPE. Destination
TPE-YYZ

Final routing http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=YYZ-BRU...&MP=rect&DU=mi
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Here's my research/trial-and-error from my YYZ-TPE Mini-RTW with the new MPM. Your ATH is obviously even higher MPM

That's why I used HKG before (yes you need to stay >24 hrs as Destinatino)

With HKG
YYZ-Europe (I've done AMS,PRG), stop #1
Europe-HKG, Destination
HKG-TPE stop, stop #2
TPE-YYZ

No HKG (barely under MPM)
YYZ-Nice. stop #1
Nice-TPE. Destination
TPE-YYZ

Final routing http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=YYZ-BRU...&MP=rect&DU=mi
that's interesting because I can get FCO to work on AP's website when playing around with multi-destination. In fact actually considering this instead of ATH.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:45 pm

that's interesting because I can get FCO to work on AP's website when playing around with multi-destination. In fact actually considering this instead of ATH.
Really? I just tried it now (random Nov 2017 dates) and no luck
YYZ-FCO
FCO-TPE
TPE-YYZ

As soon as I chose #1 segment (either TAP or LH or AC via ZRH or nonstop, and those are already shorter route vs. TK via IST. But they have high YQ $$$)
#2 segment is greyed out = over MPM

Feel free to PM me offline your date/routing, as I'm just curious to what works and what not. Thanks

EDIT: Hmm, I guess some special/extreme combinations do work (1 valid routing out of 10 for segment #2)
This works for Nov 2017, and YQ is only $25 despite AC nonstop. Total fee is like $190 only, not bad
YYZ-FCO AC nonstop
FCO-TPE on Air China or TK 1-stop
TPE-YYZ BR nonstop

So, make your segment #1 as short as possible or minimize your MPM in general

Last edited by jerryhung; Aug 12, 2017 at 5:54 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, I'm still trying to find valid RTW routings involving MEL, ex-YVR, ignoring the seasonal YVR-MEL flight

Destination SIN, MPM 13196
SIN-MEL-AKL-YVR (12430)
SIN-MEL-AKL-LAX-YVR (12972)
SIN-MEL-AKL-HNL-YVR (but ew not while AC doesn't do lie-flats on that)

Destination PER (14765)
PER-AKL-MEL-LAX-YVR (13968)

Am I missing anything? Alternative is replacing MEL with SYD for non-seasonal direct and booking SYD-MEL with cash/avios.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:01 pm

Thanks, i have no need or desire for SIN, that being the case if i chose that as a destination, do I have to stay there >24 hours?
Yes, need a 24 HR+ stopover. First beer is on me though
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:47 am

YQ on a reward ticket

Was trying to book a reward ticket YYZ-HND-SIN-PER-JNB-GRU-YYZ and was quoted $986 of which $500+ in carrier surcharges for 1 person in Business. This seems unusual to me as I was selecting routes like YYZ-HND on AC which doesn't have a high surcharge. When I added the carrier surcharges from the individual legs it doesn't even come close to the amount they quoted me. Can someone please advise?

Here's the breakdown of my itinerary:

YYZ-HND AC = Stopover
SIN-PER SQ = Destination
PER-JNB SQ = Stopover
JNB-GRU SAA
GRU-YYZ AC

Last edited by ti3n1; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.